Cult DIY project: need your input

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bluzzi said:
The only thing I am not sure of is the timing. No matter how you look at it the switches will go off sequentially. So if there was mute to 48 channels there would be a noticeable lag by the time channel 48 triggers. My thought on this was to have a master controller triggering other microprocessors handling 8 to 16 mutes each so that the cascade would occur much faster.

Modern low-end microcontrollers (8-bit PICs / AVRs) operate at 12–16MHz, which is very fast.
If you used discreet digital outputs built into the chip (not likely if you've got more than 20 or so channels to mute), the time it would take to switch these outputs from LOW to HIGH (or vice versa) for signaling a mute might take 1 to 2 clock cycles + the rise/fall time of the outputs.
We're talking about nano-seconds here.
So, switching 48 mutes at once would sound like it was done in unison, as there would be only nano-seconds between each successive mute.
The total time for muting all channels might be something like 8.6 micro-seconds (that's with a 12MHz microcontroller taking 2 clock cycles to change the state of an output pin with the rise/fall time of each pin being 13ns).

Realistically, you could not do that with 48-channels of muting because the microcontroller will likely not have enough GPIO pins for all 48 channels.
So, you'd use three 1:16 multiplexers instead (some multiplexer switch times are <= ~20 nano-seconds and can be considered negligible).
In this scenario I can see the total muting time being more like 45–50 micro-seconds (5 more pins to set per channel to be muted).
That's 1/20th of a millisecond.
You still wouldn't notice it.

I have a strong vote for a PRE + Multiband Comp box.    Possibly in 500 Series.

I've been thinking about doing my own for a while, but the lack of talent, time and money are not helping. 
Maybe something that the PRE can be modular.  Perhaps a a box with four 500 Series slots where the first is for a pre and the other three are for the three band of comps.    That way you can mix and match whatever you like.

If not,  maybe I'd like to build a 500Series active crossover, so I can slap it into a lunch box and wire up my own multiband..

I'd love a modular mixer, maybe in buckets of 8 that can be expanded. I dream of a Neve line input (everyone has built stacks of outboard preamps), S800 or Calrec EQ, 6 Aux sends, 8 busses and a selectable summing buss between say Neve, API and Clean!

I know that isn't going to happen so I'll opt for a multi channel HPF/LPF box. The only way at the moment seems to be the API 200 rack which is SO expensive. There seems to be a real gap in the market here, most of us have mid level consoles and the filters are usually the first thing to go when cost cutting.

Hi,

what would you guys think of (re-) building something like a Quantec QRS. It was always a dream of me, to build a digital reverb unit, but on my own, i never realized it. I would mind the development work, if someone is joining me. Doing it without a DSP would be a real challenge  :eek: But maybe it would not be possible any more, i do not know, whether one is able to get the calculation chips any more (Multiplier, ALU, etc.) and if, how expensive they are.

Just an idea  :)

Peter

I gotta say I agree with Iain on the whole 'nice simple project' idea.

ChrioN said:
everyone wants a distortionbox aka warmth in the studio..

I'm thinking something like the Culture Vulture or a Sansamp PSA type box, but not necessarily a clone.  I personally like the idea of simple, unique designs instead of clones (not that I don't like the clones-I've made my fair share and it's great to be able to build stuff on par with the expensive brand name boxes).  A nice balanced I/O distortion box would be awesome instead of having to fool around with pedals/DI box setups (yes, I know you can use a reamp box for this but still) and plug ins.  Be it tube or SS (or both), just a stereo box with an input drive and master output and maybe a clean/dirty mix control.  Perhaps an HP/LP filter too if you want to get fancy about it.  And no meters, that way you can't even look at what you're doing, just pump stuff through it and fuck things up until your ears are happy.

Anyway, I know I'm a little late to the party on this one but I just figured I'd toss in my 2¢.

Edit: Oh yeah, and transformers on the ins and outs.  God knows we love us some iron around these parts.

P*dulum Audio PL-2
"no iron" JFET/MOSFET 2 Channel Peak Limiter

not to clone it, but something even better/faster...
and may be a switchable tube/iron gain stage  ;D

I'd like to suggest something completely different. I'm actually not sure if it's possible, but from working with synthesizers, I think it'd be awesome to have an ADSR evelope filter for audio. I know there is there SPL transient box, but it only has attack and release controls.

Why not something like the VHD section on the new ssl rack units. Just something that introduces really nice 2nd and 3rd harmonics to add some nice colour, and maybe different types of colour too.

i second the vhd.  i got to use the ssl duality for about 4 months, and the vhd was pretty cool.  i never actually tracked with it turned on b/c it didn't suit jazz very well imho, but from playing around in some free time, it seems pretty useful (to me at least!).  The ability to have even or odd harmonics and any mixture in between is pretty cool.

Peps said:
1954U1 said:
8 chs of phase adjust box 8 chs of phase adjust box 8 chs of phase adjust box..  :)

I second the idea of a phase adjust box! Not necessarily eight channels though ...

Peps

This is what I was thinking as well. 8 channels of high quality, variable phase tool. You could do all kinds of wierd shit with it. Straighten out stuff as well! ...and not at $400 per channel. I'm guessing..

..Or how about a Helios eq?   ;D

Helios EQ is not a bad idea at all. At least there's no any diy-able here.....
Well, let's go for Helios EQ. I will check what is possible to do with inductors and Elma switch.
The make-up amp on Helios card is not capable of driving the 600 ohm line. So, unbalanced? Line receiver/driver chips? Nope...
And....just as a thought, it can be done with Neve class A make-up amp (second half of BA-283) and 31267-like line input trafo....
I thinking about fully automated summing mixer based on PGA2320 chips insteaad of faders. Bit complicated and costy...
Well, Helli've... Nevious....whatever....

Latest posts

Back