Dad & Son Build a Thompson-Bell Custom Tube Console

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello GDIY

Milestones are coming together and I feel MUCh more comfortable discussing particulars including our official team "60/40", our membership program(s) and info regarding our playable education platform, Console - The Console Game about Consoles.

1. 60/40 & Membership

The Sixty Forty is our registered trademark representing the not for profit "banner".

Named after the 60 to 40 percent tin/lead solder used in CTC design. Instantly it became the "brand" for fundraising perks like shirts, mugs and eventually CTC Build Kits.

The full meaning of the brand is to give independent minded audio designers and developers a unified flag to call our own. Purchasing merch from one of our global manufacturers and distributors supports our teams builds and adds you to our roster of official 60/40 engineers & technicians.

2. Membership Programs

As stated on occasion we have the infrastructure in place for aspiring and established DIY and Parts manufactures to market and sell their products to our growing circle of supporters and will be making kits from a select few available to purchase through our site. 

If members have logos they want put onto merch they can sell as an "add value" to their business, we are able to offer a balanced platform via our website and "eventual" in game interactive store to make this happen.

3. Console - The Console Game About Consoles

I am a exp. Unread Engineer dev, along with Devis our artist and a few of our private consultants.

There are too many questions we are solidifying to make any blanket statements. What I can say is we are well into the development of a time period SandBox game about Sound (mixed in dolby atmos with all tracks recorded on our CTCT build) with a key feature being, the player learns to build a CTC console through some fun game mechanics involving soldering and second hand store picking for parts.

We are toying with the idea of a larger storyline but have not committed to how in depth we are willing to go with this train of thought.

All that being said, we would love to one day be building Mr. Thompson-Bells designs along side 64 other engieers and technicians. Once I register and help build consoles with 64 entities, I will consider myself a worthy Analog Audio Blacksmith.

Website will be updated by tomorrow morning.

Make sense?

ruffrecords said:
I am a little puzzled. I thought you were building a tube mixer.

Cheers

Ian

Yes, we are of course building a CTC Tube mixer.

What we decided was to build a console with a mix of input transformers and are now looking to purchase 4 x Sowter 1948' to complete our set.

The Housing or Bucket is designed with particulars to be signed off on upon completion.

We have just ordered a new iPhone for filming as the Cannon was becoming a issue to use with a DSLR setup. We will have images to share soon.

When my family and I started looking at models to include in our lesson plans we landed on this video when my son suggested a Sandbox styled game that teaches basic electronics and studio design.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNm5S3UprW4&t=13s

From here it become obvious that it was easier for me to create something interactive to include in a web based platform.

Unreal Engine is completely free to use and made sense to work with this framework.

So yes, our focus is 100% on learning/building/teaching Mr. Thompson-Bells designs.

to build on the last post.

We were working with Facial Motion Capture for voice overs and some form of animated host for our lesson plans.

Unreal Engine launched MetaHuman. Trailer below. We began creating our characters using my wifes voice over and our metahuman began to take shape. Creepy eh!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3F1vZYpH8c

Devis our lead model designer, we found searching the UE marketplace for assets and instantly formed a working relationship with him based on his virtual studio.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcTfPGar42o

In case there was any ideas...

no we are not recreating characters of any real people. That is way to personal and creeps me the hell out thinking about it.

We are also not seeking money. We had been asked to create some shirts for family members and friends who wanted to support in some way.
Furthermore, we have lots of interest from people to help however I am terrible at delegating tasks so this was set up as a way for people to get involved without hands on involvement.

This was all terribly hard and frankly embracing to go public with... but it all just sort of fell into place.

Sorry if this is offputting.

After a day of thought we decided to connect with Colin at AML to take my mind of online DIY kits. He has been amazing to work with.

I am not really confident selling "merch" but wanted to go "Fishing for Ghosts" to see if people where interested in something like this.

I am now creating a dev blog on the website where I can share pictures and video without boaring you all to death spamming :)

Be Well

Wall

Hello GDIY!

As we have just passed the 2 year mark of learning tube electronics while attempting to build a console. There have been some interesting turns on my part. For that we do apologize :) Part of the fun of iterating on ideas while learning. On the plus side we have learned a bundle about tube technology, parts all the while building a console.

We have reached the point where analog meets digital conversion. I thought it best to ask for insight regarding the Crookwood Multi-DAD prior to purchasing.

https://crookwood.com/digital-converters/
To compliment our consoles build cycle we are looking at the Multi-DAD 1u interface and 2 cards, the DAC and ADC> each card has 2 channels. Barring any major objections from GDIY I cannot see any issues with this interface. Any thoughts?

Crispin at Crookwood has been top notch at answering all our questions and helping us select the Multi-DAD as the best option for a modular build in conjunction with CTC cards.

Wall

Latest posts

Back