DIY DUAL GERMANIUM MIC PRE-EQ BASED ON NEVE EARLY DESIGNS

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lets hope TK audio sees this threa, he did the redrawings of the originals.
I know he have them in higher resolution.

Whats the obsession with the germanium Neve´s Whoops?
Do you want to build some?

API said:
Lets hope TK audio sees this threa, he did the redrawings of the originals.
I know he have them in higher resolution.

Whats the obsession with the germanium Neve´s Whoops?
Do you want to build some?

Yes, of course.

I have quite a lot Germanium transistors that I bought when I was building guitar fuzz pedals, I have quite a variety since I tried different types in Fuzz circuits.
I have enough Fuzz pedals nowadays, LOLOLOL

Would like to use the remaining Germanium transistors to study and understand some early transistor mic pres designs.
Neve for now and Helios and RCA next.
I dig the vibe of Germanium stuff and like the sound also, it's definitely different than Silicon, it's way more unpredictable also but thats part of the adventure.

Also I saw that theres was interest in this thread a while ago, and then it suddenly stopped, I'm sure with more info more people would be interested also.

Thanks API

Understood, they are indeed very cool sounding machines.
But if you have one schematic you should be set, they are very similar and mostly use different cap values for different frequencies.
Only the 1053 should differ, but no by much.

API said:
Understood, they are indeed very cool sounding machines.
But if you have one schematic you should be set, they are very similar and mostly use different cap values for different frequencies.
Only the 1053 should differ, but no by much.

Yes, I'm curious for the 1053 because it doesn't use the B105 silicon based card, it uses the B101 that is a germanium card.
So if possible, and since Im doing this I would prefer to do it as germanium as possible.

I understand.

Here is the B101, but only the small version i am afraid.

Attachments

• B101TKred.jpg
    B101TKred.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 81
Thanks API,
yes thats posted in page 7.

It's the small version but it's readable, it's fine.

I'm looking for the 1053 schematic now, hope I can find it somewhere

thanks

Please post it if you find it.

Here is a pic of my old pair.

Attachments

• neve_1053_more_6.jpg
    neve_1053_more_6.jpg
    256 KB · Views: 84
They sounded great!
Needed the money and got a good offer so i sold them.
Still had a 1057 and a 1061 at that point but just sold the 1057.

Hi gents,

Sorry for delay, I have attached the original drawings from the thread, I haven't included the redrawn ones as they're practically useless.

I have actually finished a set of Input/Output cards plus both the Germanium/silicon inverting amps, just need the EQ circuit finalized. Hopefully this will spur me on and finish this beast...

Mick

Attachments

• GE Neve.pdf
    512.2 KB · Views: 104
leadbreath said:
Hi gents,

Sorry for delay, I have attached the original drawings from the thread, I haven't included the redrawn ones as they're practically useless.

I have actually finished a set of Input/Output cards plus both the Germanium/silicon inverting amps, just need the EQ circuit finalized. Hopefully this will spur me on and finish this beast...

Mick

Nice,
thanks for the DOC.

So will you do separate cards for the different circuits?

I will try to do a prototype but I'm thinking in doing it all in the same PCB

Yes I built all the amps/inverting circuits on 100 x 50mm perfboard that way I can swap them over easily.

Has anybody contacted TK he is the man we need to speak to?!

I'm still trying to get a schematic for the 1053 as all it's cards are germanium. It uses the B100, B101, B101A and B104 cards, I have the schematics for those cards already, but the 1053 is needed to know the components and connections that are "off card".

I was looking at building the 1055 as I've got the schematic and its quite simple really.

You can also use all Germanium cards on the 1055 just swap out the B105's and replace with B101'S ( That's why I'm building them all on the small boards to swap them around and hear)

I just need to figure out a way to implement the presence circuit in a more versatile way.

leadbreath said:
I was looking at building the 1055 as I've got the schematic and its quite simple really.

You can also use all Germanium cards on the 1055 just swap out the B105's and replace with B101'S ( That's why I'm building them all on the small boards to swap them around and hear)

I just need to figure out a way to implement the presence circuit in a more versatile way.

I was checking the 1055 schematic, I guess the schematic doesn't dhow the output card is that right?
You will need a B104 card after the B100 and the 2x B105?

Back