Donald trump. what is your take on him?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like a de-escalation to me, with Nikki Haley off script.

edit: Oh, you mean this! Thank you.

A statement released by "the joint command operation center of Syrian allies," a group that includes Russia and Iran, warned the U.S. against further military actions in the war-torn country, following a missile strike on a Syrian air base last week.

Referring to its defense of Syrian President Bashar al-Assad's regime, the group warned that they would support Syria and its people "with all means that we have."

"The United States crossed red lines by attacking Syria, from now on we will respond to anyone, including America if it attacks Syria and crosses the red lines," the statement read. "America knows very well our ability and capabilities to respond well to them, [and] we will respond without taking into consideration any reaction and consequences."

The statement did not include critical details like what kind of military operation would cross such a red line, or what kind of response would be made on the part of Syria and its allies, but noted that they would work to "liberate" Syria from occupation.

"Rest assured that we will liberate Syria from all kinds of occupying forces, it does not matter from where they came to the occupied part of Syria," the statement warned. "Russia and Iran will not allow the United States to be the only superpower in world."

The statement warned the U.S. that allies of Syria were "closely and deeply following American forces' moves and presence" in the areas of northern Syria and northwestern Iraq, and that they will "consider them [to be] an occupying force."

more

http://abcnews.go.com/International/russia-iran-us-crossed-red-lines-strike-syrian/story?id=46691025

Do not threaten if you are not ready to fight. When we speak about "the boundary limits" and "red lines" I suppose everyone here at least knows the taste of his own blood in the mouth after good punch.  ;)
We had Obama's declared "red line" - usage of poison gas, and voila we got it, now we see Russia supports Assad's regular (!) army against ISIS, and sure they NEED to use chemical weapon and bomb some civilians. What can we do? Savage people, with an awful tradition of poisoning their own people. Let's better discuss how US air force is bombing Mosul.
UN is not working (sure Russia and China - evil axis, block all good US initiatives of bombing someone else) now we don't ask even UN and simply start war. Are the Russians again "rattling their sabres"?
Turkey, US, EU wants Assad to go. Ok, start ground operation and wipe Syria from the earth face, kill all bad Syrians and leave good ones. Alas they even don't know who are good guys in opposition and who are terrorists. :) But Asad it even worst, CNN told us.
You afraid of Iran nuclear program? I think they simply don't want their leaders to be called "a regime".
We've discussed already colonialism elitizm etc. Indeed It seems like modern western people think they still live in the center of the world, all the rest are colonies. A sad picture.

Sure, it's just US government game, I hope they understand what they are doing. We love speaking of responsibility and shame. We are responsible of poisoned poor Syrians, don't we?

ungifted said:
Do not threaten if you are not ready to fight. When we speak about "the boundary limits" and "red lines" I suppose everyone here at least knows the taste of his own blood in the mouth after good punch.  ;)
Force is the only language many leaders understand. 
We had Obama's declared "red line" - usage of poison gas, and voila we got it, now we see Russia supports Assad's regular (!) army against ISIS, and sure they NEED to use chemical weapon and bomb some civilians.
Russia and Iran (and Hezbollah) support Assad. Assad is fighting against his government's opposition forces trying to overthrow him.  ISIS is only casually  engaged in the Syrian civil war (They fight against everybody and have established a base in Syria and western Iraq). The list of armed fighting groups in Syria is too long to list. Some speculate that Assad tolerated ISIS (and even buys oil from them) to make him look like the lesser evil and win western support (he kind of is the lesser evil despite his deplorable actions compared to ISIS).
What can we do? Savage people, with an awful tradition of poisoning their own people. Let's better discuss how US air force is bombing Mosul.
There are some 5,000 US ground troops in Iraq with some 450 "advisers" (cough) on the front lines in the deadly door to door clearing of western Mosul neighborhoods. This is deja vu for military who already cleared Mosul once before years ago. The big explosion that leveled a building in Mosul and was blamed on a US targeted air strike apparently exploded a huge booby trap or munitions cache because the explosion was too big to be caused by the munition used. 
UN is not working (sure Russia and China - evil axis, block all good US initiatives of bombing someone else) now we don't ask even UN and simply start war. Are the Russians again "rattling their sabres"?
The Russian war ship sent into the region is just a little face saving gesture for Putin, nothing to see here.
Turkey, US, EU wants Assad to go. Ok, start ground operation and wipe Syria from the earth face, kill all bad Syrians and leave good ones. Alas they even don't know who are good guys in opposition and who are terrorists. :) But Asad it even worst, CNN told us.
The crux of the problem is what happens after Assad? He has been a bad actor in the region for decades (disrupting the democratic process in lebanon,  being a puppet of Iran, etc). I don't see a simple answer, but perhaps a no-fly zone and safe area so millions of Syrian refugees could stay there and not fear being killed by the crossfire.
You afraid of Iran nuclear program? I think they simply don't want their leaders to be called "a regime".
Not afraid but concerned (Israel is probably afraid). The deal pres Obama negotiated just delays their getting nuclear capability some ten years (ASSuming they are not cheating now). Iran just wants more power to have even more influence in the region. They do not appear to be a force for good in the region, so becoming more powerful is not moving things in the right direction.
We've discussed already colonialism elitizm etc. Indeed It seems like modern western people think they still live in the center of the world, all the rest are colonies. A sad picture.
Most western people don't know the rest of the world exists, that's why terrorists blow stuff up, and drive beer trucks into stores to kill shoppers.
Sure, it's just US government game, I hope they understand what they are doing. We love speaking of responsibility and shame. We are responsible of poisoned poor Syrians, don't we?
Russia is just pursuing their own self interest, securing a sea port in Syria  and gaining influence with the anti-US team in the middle east. I agree with Pres Trumps instinct to not engage any more deeply in the region. The pin prick missile strike in Syria was just a message, while I expect more than a pin prick in Raqqa/Mosul against ISIS. 

Deposing Assad reminds me of Gen Powell's pottery barn rule (if you break it you bought it). We don't need another failed state in the region, while arguably it is not exactly functional now.

JR 

Now everybody there knows the best way to get Trump to bomb their enemies is to set off a chemical weapon.

JohnRoberts said:
The Russian war ship sent into the region is just a little face saving gesture for Putin, nothing to see here.
We don't know how many submarines Russia has added to this war ship. The war ship is only that we can see.
The matter is that since Donald Trump declared to Russia his intention to bomb the sirian military airport to avoid to bomb russian people there, Putin's reaction was a light one. We don't know the real accords  between Trump and Putin.
The only thing that we know is that both Presidents saved their faces with this war ship. The added presence of other russian submarines is very important here to know better the real situation.  For Russia Gov submarines are very important as military role. 

ppa said:
We don't know how many submarines Russia has added to this war ship. The war ship is only that we can see.
The matter is that since Donald Trump declared to Russia his intention to bomb the sirian military airport to avoid to bomb russian people there, Putin's reaction was a light one. We don't know the real accords  between Trump and Putin.
The only thing that we know is that both Presidents saved their faces with this war ship. The added presence of other russian submarines is very important here to know better the real situation.  For Russia Gov submarines are very important as military role.
Rex Tillerson the US secretary of State is in Russia meeting right now. Tillerson was CEO of Exxon before joining the administration so he has experience dealing with Russia over the years.  The tone and outcome of this meeting will tell us far more about the future relationship with Russia than posturing with war ships.

It appears (to me) that Putin should have some common interest in getting along with the US in the middle east, to preserve his existing gains there. He would need to better manage his allie (puppet?) Assad, to keep him out of the world events news cycle.

JR

PS: Neither Russia nor the US want to engage each other militarily, that wouldn't end well for either/both.

I will make a bold prediction:  after this latest round of 'negotiations', Trump will proclaim that he has worked out a 'deal' with the Russians to 'sooth over relations', involving:

1) Fast tracking Exxon's large infrastructure projects in Russia (which were blocked by sanctions)
2) Lifting/easing of sanctions
3) Leaving Assad in place to prevent any further oil/gas expansions by Saudi Arabia (one of Russia's main competitors to gas export to the EU)
4) An agreement to overlook Russia's next annexation

This whole thing was perfect cover to show how hard Trump is on Russia, yet not make it seem that his implementing the above was not perfectly in line with his agreements with Russia all along.  Now he wins, Putin wins, and he has cover to proclaim there was no collusion.

;D ;D  Yup liberals have already floated the "Trump is a puppet of Putin" conspiracy scenario.  A good puppet wouldn't pop some missiles into his real puppet's air force.

I am waiting for the results of congress's dual track investigation into both the hypothetical "Russia put trump in office" screed, and that Pres Obama's administration surveilled and leaked info from Trump campaign and transition team.  (I predict that President Obama when questioned about Susan Rice will say he first heard about it reading the newspaper.  8) )

So far there seems to be more meat on that second bone. But the Russians have always tried to disrupt other governments democratic (small d) organizations , that isn't breaking news.  Since they expected Hillary to win (like I did) this scenario of helping Trump seems pretty far out there. My suspicion is they were trying to get some good dirt on Hillary to use later after she was in power. 

JR

PS: They just arrested a big time russian hacker in spain... but he was just a crook, not a spy...

59 missles with pin prick precision and both runways at the air base were undamaged. That doesn't sound like an accident. Syrian jets taking off from then base the next day.

Gold said:
59 missles with pin prick precision and both runways at the air base were undamaged. That doesn't sound like an accident. Syrian jets taking off from then base the next day.
Yup  "full of sound and fury signifying nothing"... actually the intended recipients of the message understood it perfectly.  8)

JR

JohnRoberts said:
Yup  "full of sound and fury signifying nothing"... actually the intended recipients of the message understood it perfectly.  8)

JR

I think some loyal Republicans were the only 'recipients' that bought it.
It's probably all about money. No puppet, no high ideals, just greed.
Flynn caught in surveillance & resignation, Session's recusing himself, Kushner lying on his disclosures... but nothing to see there - it must be Obama snooping.  Honestly, the Republican story is so close to a pizzagate level of delusion it's absurd. But heck, if it worked for the general election, why not keep it up?

Everyone familiar with Trump's tweets from 2013 about Syria? It's incredible to read them. Outright hypocrisy.
Don't forget the Republican Congress undermined Obama from taking action after 1400 Syrians were killed in 2013.
Do we really want an executive that can launch military force at will without consulting Congress? That's not what the Constitution says. But the Republican Congress in 2010 put party above country.
And no, the resolution from 9/11 was about a war on terrorism, it should not be used as a justification to declare war on any other nation.
Bad times.

dmp said:

I think that's it.  Lots of funny money flowing through Trump Inc. Hence no tax returns. I don't think he would even know if he was compromised and I believe he he thinks he's a patriot.

JohnRoberts said:
;D ;D  Yup liberals have already floated the "Trump is a puppet of Putin" conspiracy scenario.  A good puppet wouldn't pop some missiles into his real puppet's air force.

Nowhere did I imply anything of the sort.  It's a mutually beneficial business relationship, not one of puppets and masters:  the Exxon deal alone could be worth almost half a trillion all by itself.

Think how this would have played out:  sanctions lifted, Exxon moving in and forwarding business deals:  if you thought the screeching from the left was bad now, image what it would have been like after all of the above?

Matador said:
Nowhere did I imply anything of the sort.  It's a mutually beneficial business relationship, not one of puppets and masters:  the Exxon deal alone could be worth almost half a trillion all by itself.

Think how this would have played out:  sanctions lifted, Exxon moving in and forwarding business deals:  if you thought the screeching from the left was bad now, image what it would have been like after all of the above?
The Russian GDP is only  around $2T total or about the same size as Italy, while mostly energy exports so there is a huge focus on energy.  Oil/gas contracts with Russia often get tangled up in which friend of Putin oligarch gets to skim profit, and suppressed by US sanctions over Ukraine/Crimean bad behavior. 

It would be interesting and not crazy to use energy for leverage to get Putin more aligned with our interests in the middle east. Their affinity with Iran is over the Caspian sea region with reportedly huge NG reserves beneath. Russia has to be hurting from $50 barrel oil instead of the former $100+

I won't dismiss any hypothetical future. Russia is definitely punching above their weight in world geopolitics because of their willingness to use military force (and having nuclear weapons). Perhaps energy is a carrot to use with them instead of a stick, but Putin will only respect force, so the missile attack was probably necessary.

JR

In the last few years, I watched Putin slick Obama in Ukraine, Syria, and Georgia. That's 0 for 3. They're hitting above their weight because we suck.

Imagine you have a friend who makes a habit of announcing that people are sick, and then performing surgery on them.

While your friend does have the world’s largest collection of surgical tools, it uniformly works out badly for his patients. Always the surgery turns out worse than the disease, and much of the time it turns out that the patient wasn’t even sick to start with — because your friend has no interest in doing diagnoses or really any form of medicine except surgery.

Now your friend has announced that someone else is sick, and a few minutes later has them strapped to the operating table and is preparing the knives. But when you justifiably express dismay, you are accused of wanting to “sit back and do nothing”.

http://www.newslogue.com/debate/440/CaitlinJohnstone

Matador said:

I think it is even simpler than that. Putin is the richest man in the world and has a lot of power.  Trump is now the most powerful and might have a lot of money. Trump wants to be richest and most powerful and win. 

Gold said:
I think it is even simpler than that. Putin is the richest man in the world and has a lot of power.  Trump is now the most powerful and might have a lot of money. Trump wants to be richest and most powerful and win.

No, no, no, you got it all wrong. Trump is there to help people get rid of the elite.
Tillerson is a great help, too.
As was Cheney and the lot.

dmp said:
I think some loyal Republicans were the only 'recipients' that bought it.
Flynn caught in surveillance & resignation, Session's recusing himself, Kushner lying on his disclosures... but nothing to see there - it must be Obama snooping.  Honestly, the Republican story is so close to a pizzagate level of delusion it's absurd. But heck, if it worked for the general election, why not keep it up?

Everyone familiar with Trump's tweets from 2013 about Syria? It's incredible to read them. Outright hypocrisy.
Don't forget the Republican Congress undermined Obama from taking action after 1400 Syrians were killed in 2013.
Do we really want an executive that can launch military force at will without consulting Congress? That's not what the Constitution says. But the Republican Congress in 2010 put party above country.
And no, the resolution from 9/11 was about a war on terrorism, it should not be used as a justification to declare war on any other nation.
Bad times.

Pretty much that, yeah.

It is pointless ever wasting munitions on runways because of the speed that they can be repaired, they learnt that lesson in WW2 and the Falklands, no conspiracy there.
DaveP

Back