Enclosure for DIY Mixer

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nick Franklin

G'day all,

I've got to build a DIY desktop summing mixer (yeah, yeah the word "mixer" is redundant because I said summing) with a few bits and bobs in it for a client and, I'm looking for a cool enclosure for it. Hammond sell some slanted console enclosures but the biggest one is just over 500mm wide which won't suit my needs. I'll need 650-800mm width, I think.

I'm thinking I'll have to get something made locally, but I was curious to see if you guys had any leads on this style of box or any ideas in general. I was thinking of going timber box with just a metal front panel, which would be super easy to make and look good but then there's shielding issues.

Anyone done something like this before? Love to see photos if you have.

Thanks,

Nick

Are you sure this need to be over 600mm wide? How many channels does it have?

Rackz in the UK do a nice sloping 19ich rack box with an optional meter bridge. I am using it in my demo mixer build. Check out the blog in my sig for pics.

Cheers

Ian

Quite sure... Client wants it to fill the space/be imposing enough. Not an electronic requirement but an aesthetic one.

ruffrecords said:
Are you sure this need to be over 600mm wide? How many channels does it have?

Rackz in the UK do a nice sloping 19ich rack box with an optional meter bridge. I am using it in my demo mixer build. Check out the blog in my sig for pics.

Cheers

Ian

Nick Franklin said:
Quite sure... Client wants it to fill the space/be imposing enough. Not an electronic requirement but an aesthetic one.

Fair enough. In which case finding something off the shelf could be a bit difficult. I had a quick look on the internet and the only things I could fined that wide were switchgear boxes.

Cheers

Ian

looking into a similar application I came up with a CAD / CAM manufactured solution that was quoted at around 500$ to 1'000$ for the enclosure. laser cut and lasered text and markings. with round and square holes, faders and all the data coming from CAD drawing. of course there is a lot of work th make a chassis that way, but it is doable. ready made enclosures will always be an compromise, specially as a user interface.

- Michael

The 'standard' way to build a console chassis is to use metal end cheeks with aluminium extrusions between them to define the overall shape. Frank at NRG can make you the end cheeks and Schroff supply their extrusions in 1 metre lengths that you can cut to size.

Cheers

Ian

Latest posts

Back