EQP500 - 500 series Pultec Program Equalizer - pics added

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Max, curious, your render looks like you are doing a different style inductor for this kit than you normally do, is that correct?  Am I right thinking by "original value" that it will be the same inductances as your "pultec_normal" RM8 inductor?  Thanks. 

yes, this inductor will be available for this project only.
the core is old stock from the vacuumschmelze , a very nice sounding nickel iron alloy.
normal_eqp500_inductor.jpg

the original values refer to the caps used (e.g. the low cut and boost) - i didnt adapt/modify them to today´s standard values  (as seen in many clones)
that means more caps (some values in parallel) but true to the original.

ioaudio said:
coming soon:

- peq 1a filter network with original values
- nickel iron core inductor
- Hs 56 inspired input and output transformer
- DOA discrete opamp socket

eqp500_side2.jpg

-max
iaudio, how does this sound compared to a tube pultec eq?

It the only difference between this unit and a pultec eq, is the tube section??

Pultec made two versions of the eqp 1a3, one tube driven and the other solid-state.
The only difference is the gain make up amplifier, the passive filter network (=eq) is the same.
member dr.pat made a rear-view pic of his original:
normal_EQP1A3API.jpg

Are the inductors compatible with other inductors? I mean, if say 10 years from now, they become faulty and need to be replaced?

I think you'd have to rewind that one, or rig another mount.  Never heard of a failed original Pultec inductor either. 

OMG, will everyone stop building such amazing new gear.  I have a house and other things I need to pay for.  Stop.... stop now. 

Oh crap, I think I'll need some of these and another 51x rack.

Thanks for the nice words!
I´m currently testing various opamps, overall freq resp. and distortion/headroom figures look good.
Actually this thing sounds right.

As it seems right now the first batch of my eq´s will be offered built together and tested.
The assembly is rather difficult, esp. when compared to other 500 series builds.

You will be doing kits though right Max? I will definitely want to build them. I am not scared!  :D

Pound for pound, this may be one of the heavier single space 500 modules going!  :eek:  Really looks nice...and bad.  8)

Latest posts

Back