EQU47 Mic Bodies | Orders open on January 19th 2013

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got mine in last week!! But I only live about 90 miles from where they shipped. They look awesome. I bought two of the first batch and I have to say...this batch is a good one! The first batch was good too..but I love the finish and feel of these.  ;D

Hi Braeden, your order has shipped for sure. International orders that were insured for values over 300 dollars had to be dealt with in person at the US post office and an automatic email with tracking number was not generated since the postage was not purchased online through paypal. I had a about 20 orders like this and need to send tracking numbers out to each individual. It shipped last week. I'm sorry you haven't received the tracking number. You should find an email from me with the number if you check once again.

Ekiner said:
Hi Braeden, your order has shipped for sure. International orders that were insured for values over 300 dollars had to be dealt with in person at the US post office and an automatic email with tracking number was not generated since the postage was not purchased online through paypal. I had a about 20 orders like this and need to send tracking numbers out to each individual. It shipped last week. I'm sorry you haven't received the tracking number. You should find an email from me with the number if you check once again.

Eric,
Thanks a lot for the reply, I appreciate it.

Ekiner said:

Hi,
I haven't gotten any tracking info either.. Have you shipped all international orders?
/
Emil

All open orders placed prior to the last 24 hours have shipped. Same scenario as Braeden for your order. You should have recently received an email to the address associated with your paypal with tracking info. Everyone should have received USPS tracking info at this point, so if there are any questions, concerns or comments just send a mail to [email protected] for the most immediate response.

Thanks!

I got my pair delivered last week - thank you, they look awesome.
Now I just have to buy some gloves to take them out of their wrapping. I watched your videos and thought it was a nice idea on how to keep them clean during construction.

Glad to hear everything arrived in good shape and that you guys are happy with the mic bodies!

I recieved mine two weeks ago, but I'm not really satisfied with the quality. One of the two rails was twisted and everything else than straight.
The nickle plating on the rails and capsule holder plate has corrosion marks.
I'll post some pictures of it.

Majestic12 said:
I recieved mine two weeks ago, but I'm not really satisfied with the quality. One of the two rails was twisted and everything else than straight.
The nickle plating on the rails and capsule holder plate has corrosion marks.
I'll post some pictures of it.

Agreed, the rails weren't the best of quality... everything else was as expected ;)

that's sad to hear majestic.
mine isn't perfect either. the rails weren't straight and the binder connector had a stain on the finish.
also, i wasn't sure the finish of the tube was correct according to the pictures on their site.
another thing that bugged me was that the capsule holder plastic riser thingy had a hairline crack.
the head basket is PERFECT though.

so once i assembled it, which took some serious work because of the slightly crooked rails, it looked amazing and i thought f**k it i'll probably get another one soon.  :p

here's mine.

P1030192.jpg

Well, I had expected better quality for 299$. The warped rails and oxidation on the plates is something you recognize instantly.
I'm quite sure I won't order this body kit again.

you're right. for the price i expected better quality for sure. still it'S the cheapest u47 style body kit. beesneez and AMI do cost quite a bit more. ioaudio's body probably wont be cheaper either?

still...the headbasket alone was worth it in this case for me. it's beautiful.

Majestic12, sorry to hear about your dissatisfaction with the rails and oxidation. I totally understand your concern. Almost none of the rails are perfectly straight when they arrive from the factory. During assembly they are easily bent into shape as they are screwed into their companion parts. There is some oxidation on the capsule mounts and rails, but these are structural parts and not cosmetic. I agree that it is less than ideal, and we are constantly taking steps forward and unknowingly taking some steps backward when dealing with our manufacturer on parts quality. It's the kind of issues you face when you do low qty production runs on custom parts with a Chinese manufacturer.

So far, from the feedback I've heard...the most difficult issue most people face is with getting the headbasket screws to thread into the rails, but with some effort it can always be done. Skylar's assembly videos on the equinox blog can be helpful.

There is a little bit more of a grey tint on the bodies compared to the website photos because a satin finish was applied to protect the bare, bead blasted aluminum from oils and moisture. Bare aluminum is pretty susceptible to marking. Our previous batch was shipped bare and that concerned me so I felt some protective finish was necessary to protect the parts. I'm sorry it's not to your liking. One thing you could try if you don't like the appearance of the tube and endcap is thoroughly cleaning the parts with acetone and applying a protective finish that is a higher gloss rather than the satin finish or taking them to a local finishing shop to have them cleaned and then powder coated or nickel plated. For future productions I'm considering investing in some powder coating equipment to offer some finish options.

I really struggled with the finish on the external parts myself. They arrived from the factory anodized with pretty bad streaking across the tubes (after orders were already placed...much to my dismay) I then had them reblasted by a local finishing shop to remedy the streaking and got very inconsistent , poor quality results because the parts were not handled with care. The local finishing shop was unable to hit a reasonable timeline to rework the parts, and in the meantime people were waiting to receive their orders. In order to fulfill orders in a timely manner I got access to a blasting machine and reworked the parts myself. It was a real hectic few weeks just getting to the point that these parts were shippable. All the feedback I have had until now is from people who were pleased with the results. I must say that this is the last time I will open orders on a product until I am absolutely certain it is ready to ship. I opened orders for these parts the day the shipment was scheduled to arrive from China with the expectation that I would need to do a little QA and everything would be ready to ship...but it unfortunately didn't all work out as I had hoped. I really had to scramble to get everybody's orders out.

Regardless, I understand your dissatisfaction, but I encourage you to keep working with the mic body. I think you will be happier with your project as you continue. Additionally, if any of the parts are not functional or are not to your liking I'm happy to work with you to resolve the issues. Just contact me through [email protected] or pm me.

Same here. The railings is not perfectly straight but it's easy to fix. The finish is maybe not the best on railings & holder plate but it's really not bugging me. All assembled the mic is a beauty.  :)

beesneez and AMI do cost quite a bit more.

AMI, yes (not saying it's not worth it).
BeesNeez, in all fairness, not so much. It's 399,- including heavy, gunmetal sleeve, finished in color of your choice.

Latest posts

Back