Favorite bands..that sound awful..

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Script said:
Nice timing, this thread resurrection :)

As it happens, tomorrow evening there'll be another Patton-related event here in town (Dead Cross). Tickets have been obtained.

Script said:
"Painkiller." Yeah, I have that one too. Pretty unlistenable.
Ha, that's funny, most mentionings of the Painkiller CD are in terms of 'I have it', more so than it's often spinned. Same here, I bought it and it's still 'as new' ;-)
The Naked City stuff though, pretty worn out.

OK, Marc Ribot has been mentioned already. Let's also add Duane Denison (of The Jesus Lizard fame). Imho he's the master of tasty dissonance. He doesn't enter the realm of absurdity, but he sure applies enough 'wrong' stuff. Me like.

Good to see quite a lot of people are into this weird grey area of music that sometimes is no longer 'music'.

Oh yes! Pretty extreme noise scene in there, as they were (are still?) with industrial and experimental stuff...
Some noise and a lot of experimental in Japan today in all facets. Industrial proper not so much any more. But all 'underground' and  more so here than in other countries.

The point being where do draw a line between good and bad? Every one is own bad taste... :D
By applying aesthetic criteria as with any other music ,I'd say. After all, music is more than just notes, melody and rhythm. You also have timbre, expression, structure (composed or improvised), even things like authenticity, (emotional) depth, 'soul' etc etc... 'Taste' on the other hand is not an aesthetic criterium -- except maybe in the art of cooking ;)

I think this is the very reason why we can appreciate and to some degree even 'enjoy' a piece of good music without necessarily having to 'like' it. See, I can listen to Richard Wagner for instance and appreciate the intricateness of the tonal shapes and clusters.  But I'd also say straight away that I don't like it.

About the free jazz thing i must say i'm pretty non tolerant about it most of the time.
I almost always feel the music to be too much 'thought' and not 'lived' anymore but that is me.
Well, try Last Exit then. Not much thought there except 'Don't be boring'. The concept there is to play  'emotion' pure -- mostly aggressive but there are lyrical and tender moments too. And you have to be highly sensitive (maybe even too much so) to produce such sounds :)
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CYwhQSP77jY

Good to see quite a lot of people are into this weird grey area of music that sometimes is no longer 'music'.

As long as a Human make a choice in a creative process this is music in my view.
  There is a lot of discussion about that in the classical music field (modern, post modern, contemporary or musique concrete).
There was some pretty unlistenable things coming from the one like P.Boulez in the algorythmic field of 'educated' classical music... remember something with hundred of metronomes all set to differents bpm... :D

Most recent research in the IRCAM in France led to some realtime self generating musical software. It is interesting because the software respond to what is played by already written scores or improvisation and it follow some rules defined by an operator, making results more or less predictable. I've recently heard a creator of this kind of soft talking about his baby and it was interesting because he asked himself if this was still music.
I do tend to think it is as human make choice...

In 'pop' music there was in the 90's a whole movement which developped around the advent of sampling where musicians recorded real atmosphere and played them back during events. Australian's labels (Extreme and Nova Zembla) had some nice exemple of this kind of approach (there was a whole recording of sound of High Voltage lines done, pretty interesting dark ambient in the way of Lustmord).
Some artist done the same during live acts of electronic music like Download which had some radio chanel playing along theyr act or Scanner which as his name implies used one to send discussion of police or emergency in his concert. Is this still music? I do think so.  A nice way to introduce unpredictability and accident within something which was a bit 'locked' at the time (electronic instruments where sequenced being more or less mechanical at the time... things have changed now!).

I don't know if this kind of things is of interest for the young generation anymore. I'm past 40 now and i bet all the one responding to this thread are too...

'Taste' on the other hand is not an aesthetic criterium -- except maybe in the art of cooking

Ah! You know i'm french. It is the same word for food and aesthetic in french 'gout' (taste). We have an expression: 'chacun ses gouts' which is applicable to whatever choice you make in life (food, art, girls,...).

I think this is the very reason why we can appreciate and to some degree even 'enjoy' a piece of good music without necessarily having to 'like' it. See, I can listen to Richard Wagner for instance and appreciate the intricateness of the tonal shapes and clusters.  But I'd also say straight away that I don't like it.

100% agree.

Nice timing, this thread resurrection :)

As it happens, tomorrow evening there'll be another Patton-related event here in town (Dead Cross). Tickets have been obtained.
Nice one. Enjoy  8)

Will check out Duane Denison.

remember something with hundred of metronomes all set to differents bpm... :D
...and then letting them run out until the last one stops and only dead silence remains?

You mean Ligeti, whose parents were killed in Auschwitz? First time I listened to that (from a CD), all my hairs were standing on end and me freezing up completely. It was almost too much to take...

I don't particularly like concept art. I mean 'Ceci n'est pas une pipe' is somewhat self-explanatory, but art that needs to come  with a lengthy pamphlet explaining the piece of art is a bit beyond my taste. But then again, a lot of so-called avantgarde isn't really that hard to understand after all...

... still music.
I do tend to think it is as human make choice...
I guess all John Cage disciples will disagree -- but I really don't want to go there  :-X

Ah! You know i'm french. It is the same word for food and aesthetic in french 'gout' (taste). We have an expression: 'chacun ses gouts' which is applicable to whatever choice you make in life (food, art, girls,...).
Interesting. Didn't know that. Sure, a musician shows 'taste' in choosing samples for timbre, texture, pulse etc.  A composer in choosing instrument (groups) etc. A rock band in choosing distortion with chorus or phazer etc
Tastes that listeners have is a different thing though, and what I referred to. Sorry for misunderstanding.

Young people in Japan are interested in all this music, including older stuff. Well, not all young people. Actually I assume the same percentage of people as has always been interested -- and as anywhere really, I tend to think.

kinda like blacksabbath meets hawkwind this one ,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlBHfIQRP2Y
Music sounds good sometimes when its kinda falling appart at the seams ,almost like some kind of industrial machine about to throw a rod ,weird beat notes emerge and your off to a different planet sonically . You just dont get these incidental beat/grace notes things happening in computerised music much ,its no wonder the kids now only listen to 30 seconds of a song before clicking next .I enjoyed Ian's(Ruff) post on modern vs 50's,60's,70's popular music ,kinda looks like the Kids nowadays are getting short changed sonically ,but then there is the old saying ,pay peanuts and your gonna get monkeys.  The modern generation have no concept of paying for music and what their being fed is load of monkeys.

I could never listen to collective soul. Nickel back....and for the longest time I didn't like (an)Tony Keidis's voice at all from the Chili Peppers. Don't know why!

...and then letting them run out until the last one stops and only dead silence remains?

You mean Ligeti, whose parents were killed in Auschwitz? First time I listened to that (from a CD), all my hairs were standing on end and me freezing up completely. It was almost too much to take...

Yes Ligeti! ;)
It did almost same thing to me, but i was aware it could be difficult: my dad made me watch "2001 a space odyssey" when i was maybe 6 or 7 years old... Holly Sh.t! That soundtrack really blow my poor little mind and set me some really frightening moments! Lux aeterna... I'm still impressed by it now!
For me it was too much to take.  :D
Kubrick reused Ligeti in 'Eyes wide shut'. The first time i've heard those three piano notes iknew it was him! lol.

In same vein Penderecky's "tribute to Hiroshima's victim"... all in the title! :D

I mixed up Ligeti, Cage (he did same things than Ligeti with untuned guitars played by wind...) and Boulez (with it s atonal sequencing running for much too long).

Why do we listened to this things?! ::)  ;D Probably because of curiosity!

I don't particularly like concept art.

For me it depends. If the art (whatever field it is, cinema, music, paint,...) does something to me then it works. If it don't... i'm not the target. Good art should do something in my view even if you don't have the key to understand it.

Like open ended movie. I remember the first time i saw "lost highway" with my friend: i shouted "genius" one of my friend shouted "such a piece of sh.t!".
Interesting discussion happened afterward! Lynch made it: it was a success in his goal!
I was happy not to bring them see  Eraserhead.  ;D

Sorry for misunderstanding.

No reason to be, difference in culture is always interesting to point: it open different understanding which is good.

,weird beat notes emerge and your off to a different planet sonically . You just dont get these incidental beat/grace notes things happening in computerised music much

I don't agree! :)
If you carefully listen to it there is a lot of subliminal things happening all the time. It is not really 'played' live i agree but it happen! Talk about sound engineer music!  ;)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jHT95pdFxg

Kiedis was always a bit of a bluffer ,Its Fruschianti's harmony vox that I was always listening out for ,he just seems to pick a particularly harmonically rich fifth ,or whatever, it just sounds instantly 'right'.

Beat/Grace notes are style defining in electronicusic acts like  Autechre
'EP7' or  Venetian Snares.

Here's a link to the latter cos easier to listen to (no particular track)
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TylOSiH1ccY

But true, much of cliche techno etc is one beat/grace note blown up to fill five minutes to deliver transcendence through monotony.

Autechre! Ep7... start of the glitch and bass movement. I don t listen to this one anymore but some of theyr early works still have a spin on my turntable from time to time. I like Tri Repetae or Incunnabula more than the later one.
Venetian Snare... breakcore! I was trying not to go there or Hardcore but please don t tempting me... or there will be earbleeding! :)

I do happen to have a classical CD by John Zorn... scary difficult  stuff.

Kind of shocked that nobody has mentioned Tom Waits yet. Kind of hard to explain to people why I like his stuff, and even his voice!

John Zorn... scary difficult  stuff.

Which one ? Would like to listen  :)

Zorn, yes, a friend of mine who really likes Zorn once said that maybe Zorn releases a bit too much. Haha  :D

Kind of shocked that nobody has mentioned Tom Waits yet. Kind of hard to explain to people why I like his stuff, and even his voice!
Love his music very much. Probably he has not been mentioned yet cos not 'awful' -- even my long retired Mom likes him ('Bone Machine' eg).

but please don t tempting me... or there will be earbleeding! :)
Like with.  Atari Teenage Riot. ?
Yes, earbleeding. Have a couple but don't listen often. But please bring them on.

Another one I find difficult (albeit 'funny') to listen to and watch perform, is Christian Marclay.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IIFH4XHU228
But probably more artiste than musician, criticising consumerism and the standardisation of music by the music industry.

And yet another one:
Eminem

Music itself, that is the instruments and sample plus the engineering, is downward crap, But he's got lyrics that are among the best in that genre. However, the sheer crappyness of the sounds make it rather unlistenable for me. And that's a shame I think. So I do force myself to listen to his stuff occasionally.

Let's also add Duane Denison (of The Jesis Lizard fame). Imho he's the master of tasty dissonance. He doesn't enter the realm of absurdity, but he sure applies enough 'wrong' stuff. Me like.
Checked out  Jesus Lizard  . Thanks so much for mentioning. Me too like.

Here's what came to mind while listening. You like any of them?
- Birthday Party (more (self-)destructive)
- Steve Albini ('dirty' guitar distortion but more so 'live sound' of the albums)
- PIL (bass & abrasive monotony in a good sense)
- Pere Ubu (only very early stuff, for quirkiness, 'Modern Dance')
- Fugazi (some structure and some of the guitar work?)
- Police (not sure why, maybe sparseness of guitar)

You have more 'awful' stuff?  ;)

Latest posts

Back