G7 Mic body(complete)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I may go that route in the future. This is the first one of these I've built, so am kinda playin it by ear.

I was concerned about the window grill fittin flush agains the body, especially where the solder joint is, so I fit them separately.

gonna try and get the mic connector section at the bottom done tonight. Have an experiment to try, will post pics if the results are good. :grin:

Man, i should probably order the parts for this, eh? I'm missin some bits and bobs( I thought it would take me longer to complete the body)

ju

Round three:

The body is done (other than some polishing), and ready for the electronics to be fitted.

The experiment was to pull the bottom connector from another microphone, and work it into this body( I'm using the capsule from a B2, this is the metal connector that comes with that body). Here's the result:

http://www.shinybox.com/diy/mic/micbottom.jpg

My pussy(aptly named Mini-Me) thinks that the mic body rocks:

http://www.shinybox.com/diy/mic/micmini.jpg

Nice job with the mic body......

My next trip is to a motorcycle salvage yard and find some shocks really cheap. Some of the Dirt bike shocks are aluminum and have threaded sub-assemblies and come with inserts threaded perfectly for the bottom end of the mic. I found a local machine shop that manufactures motorcycle shocks. Sometimes they toss out aluminum tube stock they can't use and It can be had for the price of just asking the owner of the shop if you can buy it really cheap. Most times if your asking for one or two they wind up just giving it for free.

On the other hand, finding a brass tube is a little harder and takes some sourcing

The mic body looks great - I'm going to have to look for some brass for future mics. A little uneven on the windows, though - no doubt you're already more annoyed than any of us. My first couple of mic bodies were basically practice.

[quote author="Scodiddly"] A little uneven on the windows, though - no doubt you're already more annoyed than any of us.[/quote]

Yup, you got it. I've already got plans for the next one, and how to get things closer to perfect.

I was wondering how you attach the bottom to the mic?

I bought an end cap for the brass rail, so it inserts to the end. I ended up drilling a hole the size of the xlr connecter sleeve through the end cap, insert the threaded xlr connector sleeve, and then the bottom piece screws onto the xlr connector sleeve

great thread, thanks for posting this...

Thanks. I thought it would be kinda cool to show a little more process as to how things "can" be done. Again, this is the first mic body I've done, it's far from perfect, so it was really about learning what was involved, there's some things I'll do differently next time, but this gets me into the ballpark ( or at least concession stands nearby).

Regards

ju

thanks for the tips with the mesh guys..
my mic is long to be finished. but as soon as I have some developments, I'll post some pics...
Gil

Latest posts

Back