GssL 20th Anniversary edition

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My point was not to dive deeper into your expectations for cost.

Regardless of what you find is "Too expensive by far", I respect DIYRE for putting together the design of the board and case and doing the testing (they do not have someone giving it to them for free like you do), take on fabrication, sourcing and sorting (you prefer to put those hours in yourself, but doing it for people on scale is different), and setting up the level of support they have for the project (you have no demand for support here, just kindness from people who enjoy helping at the rate they seem fit).

Nothing I put in the schem was done with a mind on the project budget, so well just have to see. Those VCAs you got for 2 euros a piece a long time ago are now 11 at Mouser, so it may be more than you hoped for.

Now, lets focus on what were here to do!

Gustav

I think it's ok to be concerned with how much something costs. I'm not ungrateful for the work that you guys put in designing the new board.

Well I've been looking forward to this since I saw the momentary post on Instagram.

Let's get Isak that chair and get us some more DIY! I think everything sounds absolutely fantastic in what's planned 😀

The fan is in DIY (i.m.h.o.)

about who sell full or partial assembled units
what needs to be taken into account
Is the fact that whoever makes the pcb
can supply it already with all or part of the components already soldered
by a robot,
then the cost is also greatly reduced, increasing the profit margin,
especially if it is made in China,
same for the rack box/case
if produced in eastern Europe eventually it may cost less,

then the assembly would consist of housing the pcb inside the case
connect pots, switches, in-out connectors and the vu meter.

The fan too is in DIY (I like to use high quality components) and saving money. Let's be honest.

I've built 3 or 4 projects. Ime, much of the cost is in switches, meters, case, front panel...transformers.

I tagged twentytress, because I have seen his panels, and they are awesome, but I wouldnt exclude anyone from doing a layout :)
Thanks! I really appreciate the feedback. 😊 If I get time I might have a crack, though it likely wouldn't be for a few months as I'm in the middle of my band's next album at the moment.

Thanks! I really appreciate the feedback. 😊 If I get time I might have a crack, though it likely wouldn't be for a few months as I'm in the middle of my band's next album at the moment.

This is both 100% good news (the album) and 100% bad news (no panel) all in one!

We will probably have to make some panel decisions before I can finish the board, and we've made a lot of progress already. Might have it ready for the final mix, though!

Gustav

Perhaps add SMD pinouts for the INA/DRV in/out chips? It seems that the SMD versions are expected to be available longer than TH
I'll see if I can fit them inside the footprints already there.

Gustav

+15V pin instead of GND pin in summing section.
Reversed order on ratio switch

Last edited:
Update 5/8-24

Board layout

Board

Just a question about in-out transformer options
have they to be placed on the "rectangular" spaces on the board , or are they for "Color" cards options ?
Thanks.

Last edited:
Just a question about in-out transformer options
have they to be placed on the "rectangular" spaces on the board , or are they for "Color" cards options ?
Thanks.

There is no in- or output transformer option.

The board is set up for 1206/standard opamp or DOA input, and the familiar standard opamp or THAT1646 output.

I added solder points for an output transformer of your choice, but however you solve that mechanically (where you put it in the case and secure it), will be up to your DIYing.

If you read in the bottom right corner of the squares, it says what is there, and on the output, I specifically added text addressing the single ended/+/- points for a trafo mount.

Hope that helps!?

Gustav

Wouldn't leaving one setting in the SC filter empty and using it for external send / return work ?

Also, if going THAT ICs on input and output, end up have unused 553x input and output stages. If not isolated by jumpers on PCB, at worst might have to cut traces in those unused stage for hacking.

Wouldn't leaving one setting in the SC filter empty and using it for external send / return work ?

Also, if going THAT ICs on input and output, end up have unused 553x input and output stages. If not isolated by jumpers on PCB, at worst might have to cut traces in those unused stage for hacking.

If you want it, its two wires to a jack, and if you want to buffer it, thats a great suggestion.

Ive yet to see anyone build one with an external side chain installed, so I just left it out.

Gustav

Back