GSSL HELP THREAD!!!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another note of frustration here..........

I posted this a while back, so bear with me again. I haven't touched my GSSL in a while coz this one stumped me, but I'm determined to get it sorted. :twisted:

My main problem is with my ratios. 1:2 & 1:4 give me no signal at all, where as 1:10 does, and when I flick back from the non-workin ratios to 1:10 it seems to fade in (is that a cap filling up?) :roll:

Now Jakob suggested checking my switch with an Ohmeter, which i did and everything seemed all good. I've also checked the voltages too at the threshold pot getting +12v & -12v as in the schemo.

Now I've looked at the schemo and I'm pretty sure that the ratio is really only effected by the 510k,270k,1M2,1M8 & 3M9 resistors. I've checked the components thoroughly to make sure they correct and they're spot on.
It just seems weird that only one ratio works. I've checked for shorts again and again. :?

I will keep lookin and testing, but my main question is...... Am I looking in right place? It's really just those resistors that effect ratio right? Or is there somewhere else I've missed?

Again, any comments or a slap in the face is greatly appreciated :wink:

regards,

Steve

[quote author="ioaudio"]leave out the rectifier on ssl#2 and connect the unregulated +/- lines(from the 1000µ caps) to ssl#1 (to 1000µ caps).[/quote]

Thanks, but I'm not sure I understand what you're saying.

I think it's going to be much easier if I just buy another toroid and leave the gssl psu as is.

Steve

sorry to be cryptic.

ssl3%20copy.jpg

thats the way i would wire it. build both ssls completely, only leave out the rectifier on ssl#2. keep the 1000µ caps, the regulators, everything except that second rectifier.

I think that looks pretty good... feeding each PSU with unregulated DC. But definitely test the PSU before putting in the ICs just to make sure everything is ok. :thumb:

Thanks Greg for the tip on the +/-12V supply. I can't believe I missed that before. I'm going to give a go this afternoon if I get time and see if it works....

Steve

Lowfreq, if your components looks good and that you have verified your Ratio potentiometer

Check all the Traces of your PCB, there's maybe a short cut between two traces... :roll:

I built the (pic above) 9K PSU earlier today minus the regulators (jumpered) and minus the +48V section. I didn't have any 2200uF electrolytics on hand so I used a couple of 1000uF/50V. I also used a W06 bridge instead of the W04, and .1uF/63V MKT's.

I did not connect it to the 2 GSSL's and test yet. With the 15-0-15 20VA (jaycar MT2086) it's putting out +/- 22.5V unregulated DC.

How would I go about working out if it needs 2200uF/35V electrolytics and if the .1uF/63V are the right values to use.

Both Jakob and ioaudio suggested using 2200uF, but how did they work this out?

Thanks

Steve

I don't know if it's the right to talk about this but I'd like to have some advice to use the SSL comp for mixing or mastering.

I use my SSL at the master of my MIX but I'am wondering what is the best place on the audio chain to put my SSL.

I'am wondering too if I have to use 4:1 or 2:1 on my mix since I will put some compression again when I will do the mastering..

Thanks if you have good advice to use the ssl at his best.

:grin:

Hello

I'm wiring my SSL clone and I would like to put the bypass swith (wich defeat makeup gain) with a bypass led but I don't know how to do this.
If anyone can help me it would be great.

Thanks**Laus

Hey Greg,
Thanks again for the part number... I got the trannys today.
15V rail is good... btu 12V rail is now 24V..... and -12Vrail is registering mv.
As I am new to this...please excuse my ignorance, I am testing each rail to the "0" on the input socket where XLRs will be connected...correct?

Thanks

I just fired up my first of 2 SSLs today. And I got nothing. No sound at all. No distortion, no audio, no hiss, no buzz. Nothing. On either channel. :sad: :sad: :sad:

I don't want to ask for specific advice, as there is so much here. But in order for me to trace this, I would like to know a couple general things.

1. Will a channel (left/right) pass audio even if the control board or sidechain have issues?

2. Would removing the control board help in finding the problem with not passing signal? Meaning, if there was multiple problems, would eliminating this portion of the circuit refine my search a little?

Right now, I'm going to do what I can to get the voltages of the ICs and make sure they match what everyone else has. I hope eliminating that will help.

Thanks,

Matt

Umm, I'm a retard. I'm almost too embarrassed to talk about it, but I hooked the In's to the Outs on my sound card. I had labeled them while really tired and it was all backwards. So it passes signal fine and my meter work. It sounds like there is some distortion, but I'll narrow down that stuff soon.

Thanks for reading. :oops: :oops:

Matt

Ok, more tests done. I had a grounding problem with the TRS jacks that I'm using. One of the inputs wasn't tightened to the case enough and therefor causing drop outs.

This leads me to another question though. If the TRS jack is grounding to the chassis, do I also need to ground it to the ground terminal on the IEC socket? Does that create a loop or is it just double grounding?

The SSL sounds amazing to my ears. It has no hum that I can hear. I'm really happy with how it sounds so far. Thanks to everyone that wrote even a single post in this thread (they all help). An extra big thanks to Jakob for creating this project and to Gustav for providing the PCBs. I am very grateful to you all.

Matt

[quote author="RogerFoote"][quote author="fucanay"]Ok, more tests done. I had a grounding problem with the TRS jacks that I'm using. One of the inputs wasn't tightened to the case enough and therefor causing drop outs.

This leads me to another question though. If the TRS jack is grounding to the chassis, do I also need to ground it to the ground terminal on the IEC socket? Does that create a loop or is it just double grounding?

Matt[/quote]

I always use connectors that do not ground to the chassis when mounted. I.e. TRS jacks with plastic, insulated bushings.

If you get it to sound right, leave it the way it is. The only time to run a gnd from a connector to the panel seperately is when you use a non conductive bushing or you might get a ground loop in your Gssl.

The basic idea is One Ground Path Only![/quote]

Noted. After I'm out of these jacks I'll switch to the other kind and I'll just tighten the crap out of these ones to make sure they don't come loose. I am so amazed how good this thing sounds.

Thanks again for the help.

Matt

Hey there guys,
I just asked Greg for some personal help with some problems I'm having with 2 SSL clones I'm building, since I was afraid of sounding really dumb on the forum. But since, I can really hide it anyways, I thought I should ask here too. Maybe others with similar problems can benefit..

I have 2 units but I'm only going to describe one at the moment.

I have no way to do audio testing at home, so I just decided to start with power and this is what I found:..

7815 23.7V In and 14.7V Out
7915 -23.6V In and -14.9V Out

78L12 23.5V In and 12.2V Out
79L12 -23.5V In and 12.0V Out

I basically comcluded that my power rails are fine with regulators working correctly.

I moved on to checking power at the ICs (with chips in sockets) and this is what I got:

5534 Left input
Pin4 -14.97V
Pin7 14.78V

5534 Right input
Pin4 -14.97V
Pin7 14.77V

5532 Left out
Pin4 -14.97V
Pin8 14.77V

5532 Right out
Pin4 -14.97V
Pin8 14.77V

So I guess it is safe to assume that everything is going fine up to there.

TL072
Pin4 -12.07V
Pin8 12.21V

TL074
Pin4 12.22V
Pin11 -12.07V

I guess everything fine here too..

Time for sidechain VCA

Pin5 -8.62V (?)
Pin7 12.22V

So I figured there is something funky between the output of my 79L12 and the SC VCA but I couldn't find anything... hang on, I'll take another look..
So, by looking at the schem and pcb, I noticed the 3k9 resistor in series with Pin5 of the VCA. That could be what is causing the voltage drop, right? if so, then this reading is correct, right??

I went on to measure the Voltage points that are labeled on the pcb, just to see if everything was OK and poked around and remember something about the Voltage labels on the bottom of the unit not being exactly next to the voltage points. So I measured around on the spots that I thought should be read and they all seem fine.

I guess my questions, after this long description, is the -8.6V on the SC VCA any concern? and is there anything else, power wise, that I should check for??

maybe some DC on the other pins of the chips or anything like that?

WOW.. I just learned so much doing this... this is great.

Thanks a bunch

Gil

Latest posts

Back