GSSL HELP THREAD!!!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am getting 18.3 volts across the board on my PCB. When I fire up the unit, the meter red lines and stays there. It is obviously getting too much current. Any suggestions?

Okay I checked the voltage on my leads going to the board from the transformer. I'm getting 37 volts! And of course half of that is 18. 5 (which I am reading 18. 3 - 18.4) Why is this?

my unit don´t compress, audio pass ok.

the power supply voltages are OK.

the make up control work well , I have DC change on the threshold control , I have ac signal on point A but I can´t see nothing more on the rectifier circuit and time constants. I replace the TL074 and it is on the right position.

I have an old tube scope it only read AC. can I see the control voltage on the rest of the rectifier circuit and time constants?

the make up and threshold control just carry dc? if they work my problem is only the AC part?

I have a meter from an old pioneer radio I don´t know if it read voltage or current , how can I know this? it don´t move but the problem in on the rectifier I think.

If I don´t use a meter should I left the wires open or short?

I fix it!!! :grin: a thin imperfection on the board.

still I need info abou the meter

and of course thanx Jakob for the project!

I haven't been in here since my issues with the voltage regulators and the wrong fuses...

Anyway I switched the 78l12/79l12's out and put them in properly and picked up some slo blow fuses.

I measured all of my voltages and everything ran fine. Took it down to the studio, fired it up and it works! So far I can't tell that there's any hum and it's sounding awesome!

1 question, when I change the release settings, I can hear it in the audio. I know that it shouldn't matter since I won't be changing these settings in a mix, but since it doesn't do that on the ratio or attack, I thought I'd ask.

Anyone know if this is normal or if I screwed something up? Thanks for all the help. When I started this I didn't have a clue what I was doing. I'm about to start my 1176 and I think I'm hooked. :grin:

[quote author="rbaker"]1 question, when I change the release settings, I can hear it in the audio. I know that it shouldn't matter since I won't be changing these settings in a mix, but since it doesn't do that on the ratio or attack, I thought I'd ask.

Anyone know if this is normal or if I screwed something up? [/quote]

Normal. If you look at the schematic, there's a perfectly logic reason for this.

Jakob E.

[quote author="bluezplaya"]Okay I checked the voltage on my leads going to the board from the transformer. I'm getting 37 volts! And of course half of that is 18. 5 (which I am reading 18. 3 - 18.4) Why is this?[/quote]
Are you using a 15-0-15 or 18-0-18. I usually read in the high 17s with a 15VAC, especially if unloaded. As you load the transformer, it might drop a little. In general, this seems normal to me.

Are you using a 15-0-15 or 18-0-18. I usually read in the high 17s with a 15VAC, especially if unloaded. As you load the transformer, it might drop a little. In general, this seems normal to me.

Yes sir, this is an Avel Lindberg 15v toroidal from Parts Express. I wired it according to the help thread I believe from one of your posts.

Blue + Violet to "N"
Brown + Gray to "L"

Red + Orange to center hole on PCB
Black to outside hole nearest corner
Yellow to inside hole nearest 1000uf Cap

Am I wrong in wiring this?

whew! I need a Newcastle! :sam:

Did you put some ICs in the circuit ?
With a 18-0-18 transformer, I used to see +20V and -19V without
any ICs connected. When I have put the ICs, the voltage has dropped
to normal (+15, -15)

[edit]
I just see that you get 37V, surelly a bad transformer connection,
maybe you should refer to the very detailed post about transformers
in this thread ?

Hi all,
First thanks for all the info on this thread. Couldn't have built this first one without you guys.

I am getting a hum at 63hz, a little less at 177hz, and less at 300hz, it drops as it goes up the harmonics. Is this an AC problem?
tried grounding different ways, no luck getting rid of it...
Any help would be appreciated.
I haven't racked it yet....this make a diffence?

[quote author="gyraf"]
I haven't racked it yet....this make a diffence?

Yes..[/quote]

LOL :thumb:

I had a hum too what i did was this: http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=180752#180752

Hum gone! Thanks Greg for telling this!!

I asked this before but nobody answered---I'm assuming it's because it's normal, but I'll ask again just to check.

When I change my release I can hear the clicking in the audio path, but not with the ratio or attack. Can anyone else confirm that it's normal or did I screw something up?

Thanks again everyone. I'll post some pictures when I figure out this lazertran thing.

Thanks for the help... ran a bunch of extra ground wires and it brought the hum down. Next week I'll put it in it's chassis and hope for the best...
Sounds great though, better without the hum :)

So nice to have my first GSSL in it's rack with all the trimmings.

Only problem is the make-up gain doesnt work now. The only hings I've changed was racking it , attaching the meter and replacing the 2k meter resistor with a 20k resistor because my Sifam Al29 are 100uA instead of 1mA...

Can anyone shed some light on this???
Thanks

If you read back through this thread, the most common reason for make-up gain not working is wrong wireing of the bypass switch.

So check wireing, shorts, and soldering..

Jakob E.

Back