GSSL SuperSC board

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello everybody. I am currently working on a DIGIKEY BOM for the supersidechain filter board.

What relay should I buy at Digikey ?
Is this one alright ? http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail&name=Z110-ND

I will use my G-SSL only in TURBO mode. Though, I don't need a switch to select from TURBOmode/GSSLmode.

>>> Is this kind of rotary selector alright to select the HiPass Filter Frenquency for the 2 boards ?
Do you think this one is ok ? http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail&name=451-1013-ND
It's very expensive ! 25CAD. Does anyone have a good model ref. from digikey but less expensive ?

Do you think I can solder the wires from a single deck lorlin selector to the pair of SSC board Frequency ?

I read somewhere in the forum that it will be easier to switch and toggle the BYPASS LED of the switches with the supersidechain board.
I will use the beautiful Nikkai UB2 switches to power on and to bypass the compressor. What type do I need to use ?
Tell me if it will be alright :

for the Power Switch : SPDT / Silver Rated 5A @ 125/250V AC
for the Bypass Switch : SPDT / Gold Rated 0.4VA max @ 28V AC/DC max

Switches are really expensive, so I don't want to go in a wrong way. I'll wait for your advices.

Thank you in advance for your precious help.

Damian

Hi.

I have SSL4000 clone how to make sidechain only with external signal  ? 

I can't find schematic.

Pine said:
I can't find schematic.
Could be done by cutting the pcb trace between the two 47K resistors and pin 1 of the sidechain VCA. External sidechain fed from tip of a TS plug to a 10uF cap to a 33K resistor, leading to a pin of a SPDT switch. The other pin connect to the junction of the two 47K resistors. Switch pole connects to pin 1 of the sidechain VCA. Depending on switch position, your compressor now is either controled internally or by external sidechain.

Harpo said:
Pine said:
I can't find schematic.
Could be done by cutting the pcb trace between the two 47K resistors and pin 1 of the sidechain VCA. External sidechain fed from tip of a TS plug to a 10uF cap to a 33K resistor, leading to a pin of a SPDT switch. The other pin connect to the junction of the two 47K resistors. Switch pole connects to pin 1 of the sidechain VCA. Depending on switch position, your compressor now is either controled internally or by external sidechain.

THANKS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the ssc bom states 10uF/35V and 22uF/35V

Is it ok to put in the same 22uF/25V's I already have for the main board?
same with the 10uF's?

probably yes, but there is no such thing as a "the ssc bom".
Not counting my own, I know at least 3 different sidechainfilter boards with differing requirements.
Have a look at the schematic for your scf board. If there is a polarized decoupling cap across both +/-15V supply rails that would rule out using a 25V rated cap at least in this spot. Within the scf audio path (you don't listen to this, its only for measurement purpose for the VCA), increasing the cap value from 10uF to 22uF for blocking DC will set this hpf one octave down, probably won't matter.
All these sidechainfilter boards seem to have a provision in common, to connect to an external source, so you don't need to cut a pcb trace described in my previous post for external triggering when you have a scf-board.

Re.
there is no such thing as a "the ssc bom"

The Bill of Materials for my PCB is here:
http://picasaweb.google.com/barclaycon/GSSLSuperSidechainPCB
It has been from the outset.

The 22uF caps are a general value (which are more than adequate for the required bass response, and also for voltage rail smoothing).  Same values make bulk buying a lot easier.

The 10uF capacitor is to reduce any clicks when the relay is operated. It's not a critical value but I would suggest at least a 35v cap for this particular cap.

The SSC PCB has always had the option of an 'External' input, AND it also provides a 'Send' if that's required.

Martyn

barclaycon said:
Re.
there is no such thing as a "the ssc bom"

The Bill of Materials for my PCB is here:
http://picasaweb.google.com/barclaycon/GSSLSuperSidechainPCB
It has been from the outset.

The 22uF caps are a general value (which are more than adequate for the required bass response, and also for voltage rail smoothing).  Same values make bulk buying a lot easier.

The 10uF capacitor is to reduce any clicks when the relay is operated. It's not a critical value but I would suggest at least a 35v cap for this particular cap.

The SSC PCB has always had the option of an 'External' input, AND it also provides a 'Send' if that's required.

Martyn

Awesome, thanks Martyn, I have you SSC board, got it from gustav (well i have 6 for 3 Gssl's w/turbo)
So ill just use the same 22uF 25V that are used on the main board
but ill grab a 35V for the 10uF

also wondering, is it possible to use another switch for the off position
I would ultimately like it to have a rotary switch for all of the HPF, thrust and EXT settings
but a push button to activate the OFF setting,
This way it would be possible to say set it to 130Hz and switch it in and out with a button?

Thank you kindly for your wisdom

Yeah that should be fairly simple.
Simply use a single pole changeover switch.
Take the wire from SW POLE on the PCB and instead of going to the rotary, wire it to the pole of the changeover switch.
Make one position of the changeover switch the pole of the rotary and the other position the wire from OFF on the PCB.

I have a quick question:
I'm building a SSC board for my GSSL and I'm having a big problem with finding diodes that fit the throughholes.
I already destroyed one through-hole by dremeling it open but by the time the diode lead fit through, the solder pad was gone.
I don't mind jumping that diode position but Id rather not destroy the rest...
Any suggestions?

Hey kats,
Yeah, correct parts, its just the through-holes are too small no matter what I do.
I even wound up with three different 4001s from three different companies to see if one made a lead
that would fit. I drilled through with a 1/32" bit, but it was still too small.
I drilled through with a 1/16" on one diode position and that one is toast from the traces.
I think I'll just p-t-p the diodes, should be fine.

I'm right now drawing up my hookup diagram for a SSC and turbo, ala Holger....

Oh I see you got a different board. And yeah some resistor leads p2p will work. The 4001's need almost a 1/16 hole I believe. They have thick leads. Would a 914 work? dunno... But are a bit smaller.

Is way worth the mod tho. I use mine all the time since I added that board! I didn't before...

You will love your GSSL after you add the SSC! Trust me!

John

Stagefright13 said:
Oh I see you got a different board. And yeah some resistor leads p2p will work. The 4001's need almost a 1/16 hole I believe. They have thick leads. Would a 914 work? dunno... But are a bit smaller.

Is way worth the mod tho. I use mine all the time since I added that board! I didn't before...

You will love your GSSL after you add the SSC! Trust me!

John

Don't know about the 914s...
But I am looking forward to seeing this in action.
Did you do just the SSC or the SSC and turbo mods?
The "In SW" switch is the global bypass after the board is hooked up?

Also: if I have a 900mA toroidal, is that enough to safely power 1xturbo, 1xSSC, and 1xC'n'B as well as the GSSL board?
I'm sure just the turbo and SSC will work fine with the current 900mA's, but adding the extra chips of the C'nB on top of that has me wondering...

Cheers!

Pine said:
Harpo said:
Pine said:
I can't find schematic.

HARPO

This is good idea ?  My english is not good.        I understend where cut pcb, how leading to a pin switch and where is 15v+ and 15V- on pcb. only must build below input ??

http://www.fotosik.pl/pokaz_obrazek/f57d677b4941990d.html

Pine said:
Pine said:
Harpo said:
Pine said:
I have SSL4000 clone how to make sidechain only with external signal  ?  
I can't find schematic.

HARPO

This is good idea ?   My english is not good.        I understend where cut pcb, how leading to a pin switch and where is 15v+ and 15V- on pcb. only must build below input ??

http://www.fotosik.pl/pokaz_obrazek/f57d677b4941990d.html
???
translating my post to a schematic might look more like this.

edit: BTW this has nothing to do with the "GSSL SuperSC board", so might be better placed in a different thread.

Latest posts

Back