Hello France!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ramshackles said:
You obviously havn't been to school in the UK!
We have a 5 year old daughter, so she started school right away in France (Grand Maternelle, which is, I gather, something like the last year of nursery school - they dont start school proper in France until later than the UK).
Already they are having English 'lessons'. It is only singing English nursery rhymes every other day, but still a darn sight more than in the UK. I didn't start having any french lessons whatsoever until 11 and was able to give up all languages at 15.
I believe UK, US and France have that in common; the former think they don't need languages because the rest of world speaks English, and the latter because they think it's wrong for the rest of the world speaking English.
I have friends, their daughter was born incidentally in Switzerland, her father is half Syrian, half Lebanese, her mother is half French, half African, she was raised in Lausanne and Berlin, lives now in Norway after a stay in Japan. She speaks and writes  Chinese, Japanese, French, English, German, Spanish, Arabic. She found a job in the Netherlands, so she started studying Dutch...

Hey, as a French in Germany, I know what it meens to move to another country.
Will this move impact your online business of selling PCBs? Is there a best moment to buy some, or can I just wait a bit more, finish other project before I buy some f76/mixbuzz?

DaveP said:
What do I miss from Britain?

(you can get Marmite in Carre Four if you look).

White lines on the roads.

Crystal Clear Bills for utilities.  The French seem to think we need to have the relevant statute to read before we will pay a bill.  Their obsession with numbers needs serious therapy.  The code on my Orange Live Box (router) has 16 digits to enter.  I think they must think it will serve them for when we colonise other galaxies.  Google translate is a life saver but check it backwards first, it is a work in progress.

Advice:  They do not have a telephone preference service so get a call identification phone and don't answer any numbers that you don't recognise otherwise you will be plagued with selling calls.  Shops and offices often close from 12 to 2pm but are open later in the evening, some close on Monday too.  Supermarkets have recently started opening during during the lunch hours though.

Allow 2 hours to open a bank account and they charge around 4 euros a month and for a bank card, that is Credit Agricole, but AXA may be different.  Beware of some mutual banks where you may be liable if they go bust, like Lloyd's Friends, check the small print.

The internet is not used as much in France as in the UK, search facilities on French websites almost never work.  I think that because the internet is mostly conducted in English, it never caught on to the same extent over here.  Amazon FR is a pale shadow of Amazon UK but it is worth checking for some items because the delivery charges are often less.

Lyon was a nightmare due to roadworks, but hopefully it may be fixed now.

Apart from the forgoing, you will love France, it is like going back 50 years in some places to a gentler pace of life.

Final advice:  When you go into a doctors waiting room or any shop, say Bonjour, even if you don't know anyone, it is impolite not to do so.  Do not just launch into a question before that basic politeness has taken place.  Bonjour and a smile will open doors for you.

Bonne chance!

DaveP

Hi Dave

Grumble like a French  8)
I think your integration is excellent :)

Best
Zam

Back