Help biasing Alice JFET

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
However is my signal generator output reasonable and or what would you suggest is an appropriate input range to test for?

Those mV values are not real - not unless you happened to calibrate those against an AC voltmeter. Other than that, REW should cover all your needs.

I have tried adjusting the source resistor although the pot I have is 1M so it's not ideal using it in parallel with the source resistor to ground.
Which is not correct...
My assumption is that I'm biasing for THD+N
Correct, though it must be put in perspective with headroom. Fortunately the optima are quite close.
and it would be nice to know what is an ideal input voltage or a safe one.
Distortion increases with signal level, so using a relatively high level will improve the measurement sensitivity. Of course there is a hard limit when the output clips.
In a typical Schoeps arrangement, the maximum peak-to-peak output voltage is about one half the supply voltage (typically 6v for 12V supply). I would suggest using a signal of about 10-50% of this limit. This would bias the stage for loud SPL and eliminate noise from the measurement.

Latest posts

Back