HL95 compatible shockmount ?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for that. I think I have some that look like that from 15 years ago & never found them to be very good. The elastic kept falling off. Maybe these are an updated version after 15 years of development.
Maybe you have a friend who creates various 3D objects, @Wordsushi started making his own shockmounts
The best DIY spirit.

Last edited:
One trick I've found with designing a shockmount is making sure the mic doesn't fall out when you invert it. LOL.
With a body like the HL-95 or similar, it's either achieved by gripping the body tube or having a giant nut that screws into the threads to hold it to the cage. But with the HL-95, the bottom of the XLR barrel is tucked into the recess where the bottom cap is, so it would have to be gripped for best results.
I don't like the shockmounts where the mic screws into the cage because even with a bit of foam or rubber there, by virtue of the threads, you're still creating a direct connection from the cage to the mic where vibration transfer can occur... especially since that point of connection right in the middle bottom of the cage would be where any vibration that makes it across the elastic would travel to, combining in force from each point.
Honestly, I just go with the Rycote for these types of mics. Works with lots of different mics and they are very effective.

One trick I've found with designing a shockmount is making sure the mic doesn't fall out when you invert it. LOL.
With a body like the HL-95 or similar, it's either achieved by gripping the body tube or having a giant nut that screws into the threads to hold it to the cage. But with the HL-95, the bottom of the XLR barrel is tucked into the recess where the bottom cap is, so it would have to be gripped for best results.
I don't like the shockmounts where the mic screws into the cage because even with a bit of foam or rubber there, by virtue of the threads, you're still creating a direct connection from the cage to the mic where vibration transfer can occur... especially since that point of connection right in the middle bottom of the cage would be where any vibration that makes it across the elastic would travel to, combining in force from each point.
Honestly, I just go with the Rycote for these types of mics. Works with lots of different mics and they are very effective.
Second Rycote's, a little expensive, but they work fine and really are universal.

I am actually happy with the functional looking traditional shock mounts that either clamp the body or screw into the base. For me this is definitely a function over form situation & I have never really found the "ugly" shock mounts not to do their job. Sorry if this goes against the grain for you Wordsushi ....

Latest posts

Back