how to record like Joe meek

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've done a lot of research into Gold Star and some of the other unique live spaces.

I have also had the opportunity to work in some of these places. For instance, the 'live' part of Studio 2 at The Townhouse.  Faced with Cotswold stone - enhanced by recording it through the Listen Mic on the console.

Pic of the one of the Gold Star chambers (there were actually 2):

Attachments

• Dave Gold & Maurice Gibb in the chamber.jpg
    Dave Gold & Maurice Gibb in the chamber.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 14
barclaycon said:
Some of the most iconic 'reverbs' of all time have been produced by a speaker in a live room picked up by a microphone.

I agree, and I was not talking about the Reverb sound, or even the echo chamber sound itself.
I love echo chambers and worked in some studios with pretty good echo chambers, I love it.
Also when the echo rooms are not that good I enjoy it also as a it's a different type of reverb and I find a use for it.

I was talking about sendind the full mix through it as a daily base setup, it's totally different.
Joe Meek was quite clever an ingenious and he could easily use the echo chamber as a send and return path to use as an effect rather than sending the full  mix output through it and have a 100% wet (affected sound).
So I have my doubts the setup layout shown is correct,  just understandable doubts,  but maybe it's correct and  it worked for him at the time.

Whoops said:
Thanks for the link Kingston, nice track, and the sound is quite wet yes

I thought it sounded terrible. Point being he had a very different aesthetic to modern or often even his contemporary sound.

Latest posts

Back