Interesting patent for spirit distillation…

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My very tasty home brew beer takes only weeks from brewing to consuming...

JR
That’s awesome. But these guys are going the harder stuff and basically worked a way to age a spirit to have the chemical makeup of a 20 year old spirit in a time frame of a week. Having had a taster from their company, I can tell you it’s good but my pallet is not refined enough to discern if it true tastes like a 20 year old spirit or not.

If they can successfully replicate the full chemical profile of old booze good for them. I suspect some of the attraction to old booze is that it is rare (read expensive).

I am more into session beer drinking so I don't want to get inebriated too quickly.

JR

PS for years I had some 16 YO scotch that was old before I put it in my cupboard for a couple decades. I don't recall it tasting any better after being 40 YO scotch.

I did a similar experiment once ,
me and a buddy got a bottle of very cheap Scotch ,
We took a long narrow piece of oak and gently charred the outside with a culinary blow torch ,
About 10 minutes in the bottle was enough to impart the flavour , we made up a few test samples which we passed around to other whiskey drinkers , we got an overwhelmingly positive reaction from what was in fact the cheapest rot gut whiskey on the shelf .
While some whiskeys may well appreciate in value over time , I dont think it changes much in the bottle as long as air and light are kept away .

If they can successfully replicate the full chemical profile of old booze good for them. I suspect some of the attraction to old booze is that it is rare (read expensive).

I am more into session beer drinking so I don't want to get inebriated too quickly.

JR

PS for years I had some 16 YO scotch that was old before I put it in my cupboard for a couple decades. I don't recall it tasting any better after being 40 YO scotch.
that I can appreciate as i don't like to get blotto, but a nip of high ABV rum keeps the germs out of you as it kills them all. A little in your coffee and you have a good warm feeling without the I love you man speeches.

Back