K&H UE100 from scratch

Help Support GroupDIY:

Fsharpminor

Active member
Joined
May 4, 2015
Messages
33
WOW. This is on a whole other level. Looks amazing. Fun to watch! Rooting you on from the PNW.
 

DaveP

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 8, 2005
Messages
2,821
Location
France
Thanks for the support.

About two weeks ago I thought I had finished it only to find that only one of the six sections worked as it should!  I wondered if my use of screened cables had caused extra capacitance and some unwanted feedback.

Actually, I had made some silly mistakes in the wiring.  Two components were wired to tags that were bolted to the chassis so a signal dead short!  It was so crowded in there that I had failed to see the bolts!  Other problems were simple switch mis-wires.

One by one I got all the six sections working and in the process I found it to be a very elegant design.  The use of cathode followers ensures that the gain is never more than one, so the feedback is very stable.  12dB/octave through one CF or 24dB/octave through two!

I will post some final pics before it's shipped next week.  I will also show where there are a couple of mistakes on the official schematics.

Best
DaveP
 

PermO

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 16, 2011
Messages
226
Location
Hilversum, Netherlands
Absolutely amazing piece of work !

Now I wonder, how much power will this thing draw from the wallsocket just to "shave off a dB or two" :oops:


(y)
 

DaveP

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 8, 2005
Messages
2,821
Location
France
60W.

Attached is the schematic for board F with the input error corrected.
The error on Board E is simply that the labels for the input and output sockets were reversed.
 

Attachments

  • Fjpg.jpg
    Fjpg.jpg
    235.8 KB · Views: 28

DaveP

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 8, 2005
Messages
2,821
Location
France
This is the final build post.



There were so many tubes, I had to label them inside and out to keep track of it all.



It looks overwhelming but it can be done by very carefully marking your progress on a build copy of the schematic.



I had to drill extra ventilation holes for the power supply, there were more on the base cover to get some convection currents going.



The blue presets are used to set the outputs of the six sections according to the original schematics.

The supply voltages I used were 280V for the ECC83 tubes, 260V for the output E83F and plus and minus 100V for the cathode followers. I prefer to use 6DT8's which are a more robust 6V version of ECC81's. The maximum voltage for a half watt resistor with this current would be 139V, so I preferred to stick to plus and minus 100V. There is no info on voltages in the manual, so I had to work them out for myself.



This shows the front panel lit up, I hope Ian manages to make sense of it all!

Thanks to everyone for your support on the project, it has been the most challenging I have ever done, especially with the domestic situation in chaos at the beginning.
 

JMan

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 26, 2019
Messages
280
Location
Chicago
This whole thread has been an awesome journey to watch. Congrats on the beautiful end product!!
 

mjrippe

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 27, 2011
Messages
2,447
Location
Brooklyn, NY
Beautiful! My vintage-addled brain thought the tubes looked lonely without accompanying transformers :giggle:
 

DaveP

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 8, 2005
Messages
2,821
Location
France
How many working hours in total?

I don't really count the hours as it's my hobby, I had to redraw all the schematics first with rotary/toggle switches, so about a month or so. Then I had to plan the front panel to see if they would fit, several weeks. Then planning the amp layout, again several weeks. Building the chassis was the easiest part and then fitting all the components., two months. The labeling of all the switches took several weeks printing etc. Wiring up all the switches about a month, then fault finding took several weeks.

The most stressful part is that you can't make a mistake, as it's a one-off and represents a lot of money and effort. Like building a house of cards that only becomes strong when the last card is in place.

Best
DaveP
 

PermO

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 16, 2011
Messages
226
Location
Hilversum, Netherlands
Well, it shure is a job well done !

60 Watts, seems to be well behaved, I expected to see over a 100...
What surprises me the most is that this beast is mono.

Are you building another one ? (oh my..)
 

DaveP

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 8, 2005
Messages
2,821
Location
France
The original is mono in a long steel case and it weighs 25kgs, mine came in at just under 9kgs.

No plans for another as a Collins 26C is next.

Best
DaveP
 

PermO

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 16, 2011
Messages
226
Location
Hilversum, Netherlands
Cool, that's not really a small one either !

Also found your 660 build on this forum, pretty amazing stuff !

Very inspiring, thanks for sharing these builds.
 

jarvis

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 22, 2017
Messages
92
Location
Germany
Insane build, thank you so much for kindly sharing your progress here!
Best
Jannis
 

ianbarter@mac.com

New member
Joined
Jan 27, 2012
Messages
2
It arrived here and this UE 100 sounds and looks fantastic.

I’d not ever been near a real UE 100 , id only read online that it was a fantastic EQ.
And it hasn’t disappointed !

The tone of the box is gorgeous. And the EQ, especially the high end , is smooth and airy.

Very different sounding indeed to other EQs I have here — a pultec (built by Dave) or the vintage alteq EQ....

I’ve just about mastered the buttons now.
And today I’ve been happily recording vocals for two tracks for an artist (Hannah Grace) album today and it enhanced her vocal & acoustic guitar overdubs greatly.

Thanks Dave !
It’s a top audio box :)
 

DaveP

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 8, 2005
Messages
2,821
Location
France
That's a relief!:giggle:
You never know for sure how it will turn out!

Best
DaveP
 
Top