M49 Oliver Archut alt version

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMG_6306.jpeg

Just waiting for some other caps and resistors.
With my toroidals I’m getting 20vac and 142vac so only need to adjust B+ nodes, rather than two 6k resistors I’ll try 7.5k and see how close I can get to 120v.

Got bigger case for this to go into now and will also put some tape inside the M49 body to cut down any boom or ringing of the body.

The M49B is sensitive to hum/noise on the filament voltage. The M49C has much less problems with this.
If you really want an M49B, connect a 1µF capacitor in parallel with R6 and hum and noise are gone with the wind...
(+ on cathode.)

Attachments

• Neumann_M49b.jpg
    Neumann_M49b.jpg
    239.6 KB · Views: 8
The M49B is sensitive to hum/noise on the filament voltage. The M49C has much less problems with this.
If you really want an M49B, connect a 1µF capacitor in parallel with R6 and hum and noise are gone with the wind...
(+ on cathode.)

Not in parallel with R7?

No, because it is the AC voltage between cathode and grid that matters.
If you would put the capacitor in parallel with R7, the grid voltage would be grounded for AC, but the 'modulation' would still be on the cathode.
I did this modification many times for people who experienced hum/noise on their M49b and always with success.

Usually a LM317 should be good enough. In case of doubt, add a 4.7 or 10 ohms series resistor (>1 Watt) an a 1000µF capacitor for extra filtering.
At 300 mA you will get a voltage drop over the series resistor, so you have to compensate this by adjusting the output of the LM317 a bit higher. But now you have a very 'clean' filament voltage.
470µF-10K-470µF filtering for the +HT looks more than adequate to me!

So connect them together then put to a single point or keep them separate and put them to a single point?

The latter - there's quite a bit more current running around in the heater supply than the plate supply - you probably wouldn't want to end up with the former modulating the latter through a ground loop.

But then again, unless you allocate separate ground pins in the connector / wires in the cable, they'll "meet" at the connector...

Are there no suggested board layouts for the PSU available as part of the G7 project?

not that ive found yet, but ive gone back to percervia with the gyraf g7 PSU, so far voltages are good but still a hum, hum goes away when i switch off PSU and sounds great until the voltage gets too low, so its definetly the design at fault i think, could be a dodgy LM317?
I'll try what Ruud has suggested with adding in a 10R and another 1000uf on the H+ and see if hum goes.

Back