M610 Tube Microphone & Instrument Preamplifier

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[quote author="Winston O'Boogie"] Cinemag also do the 1:1 for the 1176LN "clone" :roll: and the 1176 section in the 6176 'combo' box.

W.O'B. aka John.[/quote]

Can you share the part number? :green:

[quote author="Winston O'Boogie"]

I believe it's the CMLI-15/15B, it's been a couple of years. It's a standard off-the-shelf part # and I just threw a dart at the list and went with where it landed! No rocket science was involved. But then again, I'm slowly coming to the conclusion that even 'actual' rocket science isn't rocket science in this day and age.

W.O'B.[/quote]

Now I'm going to put my head on the chopping block. I apologize in advance for the Newbie question, but I have to ask, as I'm really trying to figure out this transformer business.

If the 1176 is a line input device, why does it use a 15k:15k transformer? Wouldn't it be looking at a 600 load from just about any other line device? Thanks for your help, and putting up with the stupid questions. :thumb:

Hey John,
Just want to say thanks for your generosity in sharing your experiences and schematics!! :green: THANKS again amigo :grin: :thumb:
:guinness:

Wow! I get dizzy trying to follow all the feedback loops. That is really an interesting design, and something new to me. I will have fun trying to figure it all out. Thanks

> If the 1176 is a line input device, why does it use a 15k:15k transformer? Wouldn't it be looking at a 600 load from just about any other line device?

OK, and say you had to feed a film-recorder, two tape recorders, a monitor amp for the control room, another monitor amp for the boss's office, and a tap for the press-box. If they are all 600 ohm input, the poor source is facing a 100 ohm load, and limps badly.

The customary standard for inputs is that they be 10K or 20K so that you can connect 10 or 20 of them across a 600 ohm output and cause no more than 0.5 or 1 dB loading loss. There are some exceptions: the Fairchild limiter is a solid 150/600 ohm input because it has a minimal audio path and can't spare the gain for a hi-Z input. But you normally prefer a hi-Z input(s) so you can bridge-on (or "wYe")any reasonable number of loads without affecting the audio level.

Yes, the transformer design is a little different if it sees a 15K source or a 600 ohm source. In fact I've seen "20K Bridging" trannies that internally had 10K of fixed resistor feeding a 10K winding. That way the low source impedance was buffered, but more importantly any crap or short on the bridging transformer output would reflect back as at-worst 10K resistive, not a low-low winding impedance.

Guys;
I asked my local Lundahl importer what transformers would be cross
in the 610A circuit. This is the answer I got back.

"If this is line level, I would use the LL1540 for input."
"The LL1680/5mA for the output. It's 9:1, but that will give the tube a kinder load.

Remember the 1680 is a better copy of the UTC LS27 and it sounds awesome
in the exact same application 12AY7 driving a audio line in the RCA BC2B
mic pre I built.

Any questions don't ask me ask the source!
Kevin C at kandkaudio.com

i'm interested in modifying a 610 to change the low frequency eq points. specifically, i'd like to change the 200Hz to 400Hz or so. i've written UA many times, but got no response. any advice?
thanks!

Near as I can gather, the current UA product plays games with resistors to do the impedence switching. Is there a worthwhile advantage to be gotten by bolting the multi-tap Cinemag mic input transformer into this circuit instead? (I think it was decided this is the one GT uses in the Vipre.)

Bear

Back