Mic Parts dot Com Small Diaphragm Condensers

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know this has probably been asked a million times, but is it worth looking at Microphone-Parts.com small diaphragm condensers?

Does anyone here have any direct experience with them?
I have two of the Schoeps kits and like them. They have very low noise and distortion, with the "modern", clean sound you would expect.

One of the kits included the body, which was kind of thin but useable, and a decent capsule. The other is for an MXL SDC body, which I like better, but the MXL capsule is slightly "harsher" sounding.

They are not particularly cheap, but I like building microphones, for some reason, so it was worth it to me. It is a lot more challenging to design your own PCDs for these tiny bodies, so I appreciate having them available for purchase.

I have two of the Schoeps kits and like them. They have very low noise and distortion, with the "modern", clean sound you would expect.

One of the kits included the body, which was kind of thin but useable, and a decent capsule. The other is for an MXL SDC body, which I like better, but the MXL capsule is slightly "harsher" sounding.

They are not particularly cheap, but I like building microphones, for some reason, so it was worth it to me. It is a lot more challenging to design your own PCDs for these tiny bodies, so I appreciate having them available for purchase.
I was thinking of trying the Schoeps first, and would like to try the KM84s, but I have seen mixed reviews on those.

I wouldn't bother unless you can't get any better small diaphragm mics for a similar price. If you can't get the 3U Audio ones then maybe it might be worth building the MP kits. If the 3U Audio CM-100 is in stock it's only like $30 more expensive than Mic-Parts SDC capsules.

I wouldn't bother unless you can't get any better small diaphragm mics for a similar price. If you can't get the 3U Audio ones then maybe it might be worth building the MP kits. If the 3U Audio CM-100 is in stock it's only like $30 more expensive than Mic-Parts SDC capsules.
Their page doesn't even list any pricing or way to buy.

I tested a MP microphone capsule for a friend.
To be honest, I wasn't impressed.
The SE8 microphones have a much more 'flat' frequency response.
The MP capsules have a peak around 8-10 KHz and a dip around 5-6 KHz.
So basically they're similar to the plot they show for the MXL capsules? Not that I was considering them because either a 3U Audio CM100 is just $180 for the cardioid, $189 for omni and hypercardioid, and $199 for the flat response omni and cardioid. Or the Line Audio CM4 can be found for the same or less than the MP capsule. So I can't see why anyone would want to get the MP capsules when a good mic costs a little more. Not really worth it to upgrade a $100 SDC with a $140 capsule, when you can find better mics for less than $100 extra (the MK-012 is $240 for the film set if you sign into Oktava-Shop, $210 for the cardioid version ).

Last edited:
So basically they're similar to the plot they show for the MXL capsules? Not that I was considering them because either a 3U Audio CM100 is just $180 for the cardioid, $189 for omni and hypercardioid, and $199 for the flat response omni and cardioid. Or the Line Audio CM4 can be found for the same or less than the MP capsule. So I can't see why anyone would want to get the MP capsules when a good mic costs a little more. Not really worth it to upgrade a $100 SDC with a $140 capsule, when you can find better mics for less than $100 extra (the MK-012 is $240 for the film set if you sign into Oktava-Shop, $210 for the cardioid version ).
I see the Oktava MK-102 online, and they seem to be well liked.

Anyone else used these?

I see the Oktava MK-102 online, and they seem to be well liked.

Anyone else used these?
Haven't used it, but it gets good reviews. As much as I try to avoid the site, there's a solid Oktava thread on Gearspace with a lot of comments on their stuff. I do like the MK-012 though. Not as much as my MKH 8050, but the Oktava MK-012 film set is a solid affordable hypercardioid that makes a good backup location mic or instrument mic. I read
(on JWSoundGroup) that modded MK-012s were used on the Lifetime TV series Drop Dead Diva for interior close ups. They sound fine. Not my kind of show, but the weak points of their audio are when they switch to lavs they didn't bother to match to the MK-012 audio. The MK-012s are really sensitive to wind noise and handling noise, so a shockmount is a must. 6/8 of mine are close enough you'd think they were all matched pairs. The other two are more "vintage" sounding because they have more mid range and less high end. Those two are my favourite.

The Line Audio's CM4 is also fantastic for like half what an MK-012 cost. I only have a couple of them, I'm planning to get more, the Canadian distributor of them marks them up quite a bit (an extra $75). That's not a whole lot of money, but that's like half an extra CM4. I'd rather get them for the $160 I'd pay with the conversion rate and then pay the duties.

Last edited:
Haven't used it, but it gets good reviews. As much as I try to avoid the site, there's a solid Oktava thread on Gearspace with a lot of comments on their stuff. I do like the MK-012 though. Not as much as my MKH 8050, but the Oktava MK-012 film set is a solid affordable hypercardioid that makes a good backup location mic or instrument mic. I read
(on JWSoundGroup) that modded MK-012s were used on the Lifetime TV series Drop Dead Diva for interior close ups. They sound fine. Not my kind of show, but the weak points of their audio are when they switch to lavs they didn't bother to match to the MK-012 audio. The MK-012s are really sensitive to wind noise and handling noise, so a shockmount is a must. 6/8 of mine are close enough you'd think they were all matched pairs. The other two are more "vintage" sounding because they have more mid range and less high end. Those two are my favourite.

The Line Audio's CM4 is also fantastic for like half what an MK-012 cost. I only have a couple of them, I'm planning to get more, the Canadian distributor of them marks them up quite a bit (an extra $75). That's not a whole lot of money, but that's like half an extra CM4. I'd rather get them for the $160 I'd pay with the conversion rate and then pay the duties.
I'm gonna roll with a matched pair of MK012s with all the capsules. Seems like a no-brainer after all I've read.

I don't think you can go wrong with a pair of MK-012 mics. I've done extensive testing and when you are close micing acoustic instruments, the MK-012 is as close to a KM84 as I've ever heard. In my test sessions, no one could tell a difference as I A/B them back and forth. My pair are from around 2000. I did the usual mods to them and they did clean up slightly. I've heard that stock new ones already have all the upgrades to the caps and resistors. If I didn't already own them, I'd buy them again. I don't like their off-axis sound as much as a KM84, but for single instruments miced up close at 12", they can't be beat. My applications for them are acoustic guitar and mandolin family instruments. I don't like them on violin but they also work well on upright bass pizzicato.

I don't think you can go wrong with a pair of MK-012 mics. I've done extensive testing and when you are close micing acoustic instruments, the MK-012 is as close to a KM84 as I've ever heard. In my test sessions, no one could tell a difference as I A/B them back and forth. My pair are from around 2000. I did the usual mods to them and they did clean up slightly. I've heard that stock new ones already have all the upgrades to the caps and resistors. If I didn't already own them, I'd buy them again. I don't like their off-axis sound as much as a KM84, but for single instruments miced up close at 12", they can't be beat. My applications for them are acoustic guitar and mandolin family instruments. I don't like them on violin but they also work well on upright bass pizzicato.
Awesome.

I tested a MP microphone capsule for a friend.
To be honest, I wasn't impressed.
The SE8 microphones have a much more 'flat' frequency response.
The MP capsules have a peak around 8-10 KHz and a dip around 5-6 KHz.

I can't speak to the SE8, but I have to say that this description of my SDC capsule is wildly inaccurate. I wonder if it was really one of mine? Was the 'micparts' legend engraved on the inside of the capsule? Or did you end up with a counterfeit capsule?

I've attached a sample frequency sweep from the most recent production run of MicParts cardioid SDC capsules. This was measured at 10 inches, using a custom built speaker; the rig is calibrated with a measurement mic. The lift in the bass response is to be expected at this distance. You can see that the response is within ~1dB from 150 Hz to 10kHz. There is absolutely no dip at 5-6kHz and no peak at 8-10kHz. Your characterization is accurate for an MXL capsule. None of my SDC capsules sounds like that -- if they did, we wouldn't sell them.

@RuudNL, please send me (via email) your sweep results, and the name of the friend who bought the capsule. Each of my capsules has a serial number, which in the case of the SDCs is written on the package that the capsule was shipped in. I could double-check the sweep for that capsule to make sure it met our specs -- although I have to say that none of our SDC capsules ever sounds like that; we occasionally reject one at the QC step for low bass output or noise, but none of them sound (or sweep) like MXL's capsules. Find my email address on the MicParts website (About Us -> Contact Us).

As to the comment that my SDC capsule is not as flat as the KM84's capsule, I agree; I posted a direct comparison several years ago here:
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0867/8438/files/km84sweep.png?v=1544222693
The KM84 capsule is remarkably flat. Those are fantastic mics if you can find (and afford) them. My SDC-84 kit, including my SDC capsule, comes pretty close in frequency response (see that link), and has much higher sensitivity, which can be beneficial for recording quiet sources.

Attachments

• 2901.png
    2901.png
    262.4 KB · Views: 7

Latest posts

Back