Most Natural Sounding Mic Pre?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yamaha mixer, oh you laugh, but have you ever heard one?
no transformers in or out, and a good sounding opamp, no fab work required, exactly like a green but different,
under 200 and you get more than one preamp, wtf, over? jus sayin...

Attachments

• y82.jpg
    y82.jpg
    322.5 KB
Im amazed no one pointed you to the SSL 9K preamp, I think thats exactelly what you want.

Green Pre was popular around here but was replaced over the years for the 9k preamp.  Its still an active and supported project so it will be easier for you to build, also its a superior design.

Saying this I would use Neve and API mic pres at any given day for classical music

Thanks! One of the things I've come to realise is that perhaps I didn't describe what I was after very well. After having done a bit more research I think that what I'm looking for is a preamp that doesn't overload (or change its frequency response) as its gain increases. This seems to be a feature of the so-called "colour" mic pres which is great but it's not what I'm after. That's why something like the Monte Generoso looked good. I'll add the SSL to the list.

Cheers!

CJ said:
Yamaha mixer, oh you laugh, but have you ever heard one?
no transformers in or out, and a good sounding opamp, no fab work required, exactly like a green but different,
under 200 and you get more than one preamp, wtf, over? jus sayin...

And what's the best part is they have been like it for the better part of 20-30 years.

cpsmusic said:
Thanks! One of the things I've come to realise is that perhaps I didn't describe what I was after very well. After having done a bit more research I think that what I'm looking for is a preamp that doesn't overload (or change its frequency response) as its gain increases. This seems to be a feature of the so-called "colour" mic pres which is great but it's not what I'm after. That's why something like the Monte Generoso looked good. I'll add the SSL to the list.

Cheers!
This is perhaps too much information but most preamps change frequency response due to extreme gain.. the two most common mechanisms are 1) a HPF formed by cap in series with the gain pot. Unless the cap is very large, the pole can creep up into the pass band at max gain. One mixer mfr who shall remain nameless, used this on purpose to make preamps sound like they were quieter than they actually were because they rolled off LF noise at max gain.  2) if a preamp topology is lacking enough open loop gain to maintain a healthy loop gain margin at high closed loop gain the falling open loop gain can alter frequency response at the top end.

These should be well managed and not very audible in decent preamps but both phenomenon are probably measurable with a good test bench.    Note: just because you can measure it doesn't mean you can hear it.

Color or colour is code for distortion. I do not consider distortion natural but YMMV regarding subjective calls.  8)

JR 

cpsmusic said:

Cheers!

I don't think you understand me right LOLOL

I don't think you should add to the list, I think it should be your first choice and you should do it.
The SSL9K has loads of Gain,
It's really Clean and transparent

Its a also a project very well documented
theres active threads at the moment that can help you
there's boards available for sale

Why complicate things?

you can buy the pcb here, you can use it for 500 series or not:
https://pcbgrinder.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=59_71&product_id=63

check build thread here:
http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=42552.0

The thing that caught my eye was in the description which says:

This is a great preamp to use when a neutral sonic character is required, but the slightest amount of euphonic transformer coloration is desired.

A bit confusing really - neutral but not neutral?

cpsmusic said:
The thing that caught my eye was in the description which says:

This is a great preamp to use when a neutral sonic character is required, but the slightest amount of euphonic transformer coloration is desired.

A bit confusing really - neutral but not neutral?
=transparently coloured; personally, I prefer agressively neutral.

In terms of "no coloration" my vote would be for an m1 type circuit with a jh990....  My experience is they are in colored without being clinical.....

My 2cents....

Latest posts

Back