Music Shop Standouts

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
6- 8” speakers is unique. Did you play thru it CJ? What was the sound like? I have played thru a Les Paul amp of the era. Had oval speakers 5x7 maybe on the side with a 12” in the center The power amp had a choke fed 6l6 plates to center tap output transformer.

1970 Marshall Super Lead 100

going out for $4700, i don't see it but ok,

does have GE 6CA7's

modded with a master and maybe a few other tone caps,

GE 12AX7a preamp tubes,

have to ratio that OPT and see what gives,

gotta fix the duct tape strain relief,

they sell something, get the cash, then ask me to fix it, putting out fires left and right, wtf?

Attachments

• m1.jpg
    m1.jpg
    333.7 KB · Views: 2
  • ma2.jpg
    ma2.jpg
    347.3 KB · Views: 2
  • m3.jpg
    m3.jpg
    323 KB · Views: 2
Lots of original there. Many of he turrets still have the red paint on them. The blue filter caps are original and I would think need replaced. I had a 1970 100w. Let us know if they get $4.7k out of it. I still have a 1970 50w. I can’t play loud anymore but use a powerbrake and it sounds great 😊 I think. 🙉

The .22 main caps? Those have shorted out over time on both my amps. They were added to filter the diode noise. The better solution I guess is to move the ground wire from the rectifier diodes over to the ground by the transformer to keep that noise out of the preamp

Always wondered about the red paint
In the turret board models the red paint was to show the factor service if someone had played around inside to I guess void warranty. Both my amps had the red paint. I wished mine untouched but being an electronics guy I would change it from a 1987 model to a 2203 model and then back. After I got the power rake attenuator I keep it pretty much 1987 circuit.

The music store I work for moves old Marshalls semi frequently. Most arent turret era but i think in 3.5k+ is typical. Just worked on one with GE 6550s i think that sold for around what yours did. I dont see / hear it / wouldnt spend that on a head but if it gets a guy one step closer to Jimi...

I wont work on most of the later marshall DSL stuff because they are POS and slowly kill themselves, but earlier pcb stuff are ok. I like how marshall kept the layout the same as the ptp stuff. On pcb stuff have to give the board some good drumstick whacks while its running bc people usually just clip out and replace components from the top side which can cause some shoddy connections.

The “we sold this and need to ship it but turned it on for the first time after buying if from a customer a few months ago and it doesn’t work” story is a running trend sometimes unfortunately. Our poor synth tech has it worse when a sold item comes in but usually not huge deal (as long as you have a supply of the common tube types and some filter caps on deck) to get back those old amps back up and running. Have had bad luck w/ a few ampegs with cooked XFMRs recently and less common tube types but usually fenders and marshalls are a fairly smooth. If I could be given a lifetime supply of the eyelet fenders to work on I would be a happy man.

Marshalls more than other brands seem consistently more mucked around by people over the years vs other brands, usually master vol mod or revoicing super bass to leads or such. The impedance switch routinely is something that has been replaced as I imagine people try to twist the OG selector instead of pulling out and snap them. We just got one from around this period in that has been changed around a bit and sometimes the store wants to try and get as close to original as possible.

yeah i stuck that 100w back to stock and it sounds better, left the master so no holes in chassis,
DSL stuff is torture, chip amps are the worst,

today we are lucky to have a couple of Gibson L1 guitars in the shop,

Robert Johnson played one of these, funny thing is the owner of the store and the guitars is named Robert Johnson!

here is blind melon cj playing the later one, about 1929,

Attachments

• l1a.jpg
    l1a.jpg
    323.7 KB · Views: 2
  • l1b.jpg
    l1b.jpg
    311.3 KB · Views: 1
Heres a fun one with a weird build - Gibson GA-80 "Varitone." Came with a batch of dead amps from another repair shop where the tech was retiring. This one had power cord cut but luckily transformers were all good. Some of the others amps were not so lucky. 12AX7 and 5879 preamp tubes, 6L6 outputs. Unique LC tone switching control and some pesky leaded multicans.

73032589811__EEE27AEA-4363-450E-9FE9-D007452CD2F8.jpegIMG_2103.jpg

IMG_2104.jpegIMG_2102.jpgIMG_2098.jpegScreenshot 2024-02-24 at 12.01.11 PM.png

Latest posts

Back