• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Group DIY and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

MXL 2001 Royer Mod Boards (BigUgly version)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
These boards look great.
For the psu, I'm guessing it needs a 48v AC transformer to get the 93-100v output of the royer psu design (that design spec'd a 24v transformer)?

As to the differences, the G7 uses a ef86 tube while this uses a 5840 tube. I don't know how that translates to how they sound though.

tomas1808 said:
Hey, would the Royer Mod work with my V67? Thanks!

I don't have a V67, but this article suggests the V67 and the MXL2001 are similar

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/nov01/articles/mximics1101.asp

jordan s said:
What's the difference between the Royer mod, the Bug Ugly version and the G7? I hear they're all similar in some ways. I have some G7 pcbs but I hear the circuit sounds a bit C12-ish and I already have C12 sounding mics, looking to make something different.

I haven't built the G7 (yet -- I have the PCB's too, wanted to try this one first) I used the BigUgly board for a single sided capsule, and just omitted a few parts and moved a few things around on this board to do the "stock" Royer mod.

WRT the G7, If you look compare the schematics, the polarizing circuitry is pretty much the same. The BigUgly doesn't have the extra RC on the B+ which is for PSU filtering per another thread here. Also, the G7 cathode is bypassed, and floats above another resister and of course, no optional feedback on this one.

The Analag tube mic (R8) has a discussion about floating the cathode resistor above ground.

I don't have a G7 to compare actual sound too, also, I used the stock capsule and a fairly inexpensive transformer for this first one.

dmp said:
These boards look great.
For the psu, I'm guessing it needs a 48v AC transformer to get the 93-100v output of the royer psu design (that design spec'd a 24v transformer)?

As to the differences, the G7 uses a ef86 tube while this uses a 5840 tube. I don't know how that translates to how they sound though.

I used trafos I had on hand. Fed 9v into a 120-120:12-12 backwards for the high voltage. For whatever reason, that only gave me about 71vac. I used a 330 ohm on the PSU board and that got me 99vdc.

The PSU board isn't the voltage tripler as in the orig Royer. PM me and I can email all the pertinent documents I've gathered on both.

I want to make a few more of these, and I'm going to get some 80v/9v transformers.

Have you sold out of these? I'd be interested in 2 mic PCB's and 1 power supply if you do another run.
Thanks,
Tim

I ordered another run! Should be here in about a week and a half or so.  I do have two  BigUgly mic boards and some G7 PSU boards if you absolutely cannot wait though. Let me know.

Second run arrived today. I pm'd everybody who had requested boards, except Saxtim, I'll get a shipping quote for you later today.

I tried to pm, but guess it didn't work, will try again later today, as I don't see a reply...pm'ing isn't a regular activity for me...

mrc said:
I tried to pm, but guess it didn't work, will try again later today, as I don't see a reply...pm'ing isn't a regular activity for me...

PM'd back, sorry, was out of pocket a couple of days.

Riggler emailed me about the original BigUgly PSU schematic which indicates 190vac in. With a 330R R1, the AC supply should be much lower  to use the rest of the circuit unmodified. Bigugly emailed me a modified pdf file I don't have in front of me at the moment but seem to recall was 100-125v.  I used parts I had on hand for a straight 2001 mod, which netted me 70vac in  and that worked fine for me. I'd imagine somewhere between 70-135 would be an OK range, depending on the capsule. It helped me to read all the threads, including the G7 threads.

Hey Everyone,

I'm truly happy to see so many getting some use from my silly mic hack. As far as where to set the B+, I would adjust R1 until I got between 120-130VDC. The reason for this is how the capsule polarizing voltage is derived. The capsule gets its voltage from a divider that is sourced from the B+. Mic capsules will generally get more sensitive with an increased polarizing voltage but beyond 70VDC the diaphragm can get sucked into the back plate. So I always shot for 60VDC. So I would always have to adjust R1 until I had 120VDC B+ under load.

cheers and have fun,

James

Latest posts

Back