• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Group DIY and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

MXL 2001 Royer Mod Boards (BigUgly version)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd clean the whole board, especially near the capsule connections, with isopropyl alcohol.
If it is varying with the tube you use then maybe keep swapping in new tubes.

I have two pcb's and two power supply pcb's, one of which is stuffed. I'd sell them to the first person who PM's...
-mike

Does anyone has the BOM for this MIC + PSU?

The link previously mentioned is down...

Thanks,
M

Sorry I've been out quite a bit and haven't checked this thread lately.  :(

I do have plenty of microphone boards left, but only a few PSU boards. If there is enough interest I can check with Big Ugly to get permission to have another run made of the PSU boards.  :)

Feel free to PM me.

ALso, I have a bunch of documentation for this as well, including schematics, but it is stuck on a backup drive at the moment. I should be able to pull that drive out this week and I'll start a fresh thread in microphones.

I built 2 of these, as the single diaphragm 2001 mod...  One i used an older 2001 and the other i used a newer "reissue" 2001A...  I used the same parts, same tube, same transformer etc etc... one mic is about 3-4dB quieter than my original.  Any thoughts on what that could be ( i was thinkin possible varience in tolerance for the components, but that seems like a lot of swing to me)

Scott - pop C1 & c4 (the big orange guy on the back) and the 5 resistors on the top right of the board (cant see the designations).  but the top most  resistor goes from its right side thru to the top thru of r1 on the left of top left of the mic)  cant get a pic up now, but if ya need one i can share later on.  If you follow royers schematic and look at the board its pretty easy to figure out. (7 components + tube, trafo and diaphragm total... i built a point to point PS using a radioshack piece of perfboard and an old computer power supply chassis)

@sr1200: You should also post in the microphone section thread. Are the PSUs the same (same transformer, etc)

Also, it is possible that the diaphragms are difference thickness as well. (6 micron vs 3, I don't have any way to measure these, but I've swapped several 32mm capsules and by appearance, the skin looks thicker on the some)  I'm not sure if that would make a difference, but intuitively I'd think the thinner diaphragm more sensitive at the same voltage. You are likely to get a lot more knowledgeable replies than mine if you post in the mod thread.

@scott, +1 to the above. You should also go through and renumber the parts on the Royer schematic so they match the PCB. That makes it a lot easier to visualize.

the capsule also connects to the C2 through (i think... ill check when i get home)  and the standoff which needs to tie to one of the pads on the back.

I think im down to the tubes as far as figuring this out.  Im going to try and swap the tubes and see that that makes a difference.

Have both been "burnt in" for the same amount of time? I found that did make a difference on mine (I've completed one build so far) leaving it on for about 8 hours.

The first one (the louder one) is about 6mo old at this point, and well burnt in. (sounds great) The other one has the same tonal characteristics (maybe a little flatter in the top end) and quieter.  Im gonna see about getting another set of "matched" tubes...

Blue Jinn said:
If there is enough interest I can check with Big Ugly to get permission to have another run made of the PSU boards.  :)

feel free to make as many boards as you want or need. have fun!

Is there a BOM for this? Im thinkin of converting one of my mics to multi-pattern.  The link to the BOM i found a few pages ago is no longer working.  If someone has it and wants to email it to me, i can host it on my server for everyone to pick from.

I don't have a complete BOM, as most of the parts are available from your supplier of choice, and the transformer depends on your budget,. I do have what I think is the correct part number for the teflon standoffs. PM me and I can email you all the data I have compiled.

Latest posts

Back