• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Group DIY and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

MXL 2001 Royer Mod Boards (BigUgly version)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got mine Monday! They look great...could you email me the schemo's, and do you have a BOM?  Thanks a million.
mrc

hey!

got my board!

can you use something like a nady 460 psu for this? the only question I have, is can you use the mains transformer and just adjust the voltage with resistors? too much current?

EEMO1 said:
hey!

got my board!

can you use something like a nady 460 psu for this? the only question I have, is can you use the mains transformer and just adjust the voltage with resistors? too much current?

I'm not familiar with the Nady 460. If you mean the Apex 460?  I am pretty sure the PSU has about 150-155v for B+. (Based upon what I have read, I have not tested it)

That is close to the maximum for the 5840 tube. This circuit is designed for a B+ from 95-120v (Orig Royer mod is 95-100, BigUgly's G7/Royer hybrid is designed for 120. ) This also gives you about 60v on the capsule.

Blue Jinn said:
I'm not familiar with the Nady 460. If you mean the Apex 460?  I am pretty sure the PSU has about 150-155v for B+. (Based upon what I have read, I have not tested it)

That is close to the maximum for the 5840 tube. This circuit is designed for a B+ from 95-120v (Orig Royer mod is 95-100, BigUgly's G7/Royer hybrid is designed for 120. ) This also gives you about 60v on the capsule.

sorry, yeah I meant apex... I was thinking about using just the case, switches and the mains transformer for my build with your pcb's. I think calculating the resistors etc on your psu board... might work?

EEMO1 said:
I think calculating the resistors etc on your psu board... might work?

should work fine. just remember to calculate for wattage on your dropping resistor. more volts dropped the higher the watt rating of your resistor needs to be. I think I only put in enough space for a 5 watt resistor in the PI filter. If that isn't enough use two 5w resistors in parallel that are double the ohm value you need.

should work fine. just remember to calculate for wattage on your dropping resistor. more volts dropped the higher the watt rating of your resistor needs to be. I think I only put in enough space for a 5 watt resistor in the PI filter. If that isn't enough use two 5w resistors in parallel that are double the ohm value you need.

I don't think this is a concern. The mic and pattern switch together will at most draw about 1 mA. Just estimating with V=IR & P=VI

330R  dV=0.33v P=0.0003 W
10k    dV=10v    P=0.01 W
50k    dV=50v    P=0.05 W
etc...

I don't see why you would need more than a .25W resistor, much less 5W.  Now if you use this circuit for a power amp it would be a different story, so maybe that was the inspiration for the design?

FWIW I built the PSU stock (with a 5watt 330 ohm resister) and unloaded I get 99v, loaded this drops to 71v. The transformers feeding it are probably very underrated, (but don't get hot or anything.) 117:9v 12v:115v wired backwards from the 9v. This one only seemed to give me 70v or so for some reason. It was what I had on hand at the moment.

I built another one with a 270 ohm who knows 5-10 watt resistor (happened to have one on hand) and with an 80v transformer (which puts out about 85v actually)  I get 118v on the secondary with a (and I'll edit this later when I look at it) 100k - 300k load. (I can't remember at the moment)

Hey,

Still one question about the power transformers:

So, we need two, one that gives 120vac and one that gives 8-15vac.

What VA ratings are enough?

would this work for the 120vac? (6VA)

http://de.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Hammond-Manufacturing/186B120/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMvwUzoUXIIvyQPvPmwnNFGyOJ1stXxLUas%3d

And this for the heater? (10VA)

http://de.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Hammond-Manufacturing/160J10/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMvwUzoUXIIvyQPvPmwnNFGy0KFQQ%2fudC8M%3d

So, we need two, one that gives 120vac and one that gives 8-15vac. 
What VA ratings are enough?
Looking at a datasheet for the 5840 tube, the heaters draw .15 A at 6.3v (AC or DC). This means the heaters want 1 Watt. Because it is rectified first, you want your transformer to be able to supply extra power for the rectifier to throw away. Just as a ballpark guess, if the pre-rectified voltage were 12.6v, then (at .15 A), the rectifier would dissipate (12.6-6.3)*.15 watts, which is also 1 Watt. So a transformer > 2 Watts (or VA) would be what you'd look for. VA means Volt-Amp, which = Power (Watts).

I think 120vac may give you a higher B+ than you may want. Depending on the loading, since it is unregulated, the B+ will be between 120v (the AC rms voltage) and 170v (the AC peak voltage).  The 5840 has a max plate voltage of 165v. 

I built the power supply using two Hammond transformers. For the B+ I got an 80v Hammond transformer (166g80) and for the heater 9v (166g9).
With the only loading being the pattern switch, the B+ is about 120-130v. I haven't hooked up the tube yet to see how much it drops. Hopefully it will get down to around 100v which is the Royer spec.

I just connected the mic and found the B+ was 128v with the 330 ohm dropping resistor.
Increasing the resistor to 10k gave a B+ of 106v. That should also give a cleaner power rail for the mic.

I haven't fitted the capsule yet so no sound yet, but hopefully soon.

What is the size of the PSU board, approximately?

Trying to figure out a case for it...

Back