MXR AUTO PHASER

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

j w

This is a panel mount unit from the 70's.I need help finding the miniature pot for the "MANUAL" FUNCTION.
It appears to be a 10K CTS pot with a tiny shaft.I have what appears to be a number b042581 or bd42581.
I think i saw a post from Bo about a Mxr Auto Flanger.
Thanks

MXR: They are 10K linear pots,but the bushing is 1/4" [hole size] !
1/4" bushing diameter with a corresponding 1/8" diameter shaft is a common design. You said it's marked with a value of 10K. What is unknown is the taper.

From the picture it seems the pot is soldered to the PC board. But that can be worked-around by "flying" three wire leads from the replacement pot's terminals down to the PC board.

Bri

1/4" bushing diameter with a corresponding 1/8" diameter shaft is a common design. You said it's marked with a value of 10K. What is unknown is the taper.

From the picture it seems the pot is soldered to the PC board. But that can be worked-around by "flying" three wire leads from the replacement pot's terminals down to the PC board.

Bri
see below please

Sorry see above 10k linear..where can i get these plse?
Mouser Electronics and DigiKey are two very large "mail order" companies that stock that sort of items.

To find an appropriate replacement, we need to verify/determine a few things.

This is a given.....10K linear.

Double check:

1. Diameter of the threaded bushing to be sure it's 1/4"
2. Diameter of the shaft to be sure it's 1/8".

Measure:

1. The length of the threaded bushing.
2. How far the shaft extends from the bushing.
3. Approx. diameter and depth of the body of the actual potentiometer element.

Keep in mind that a replacement will probably not "feel" the same when you adjust the control compared to the originals.

Bri

Those are Bourns with a hot molded element. They are pretty hard to wear out. Have you considered trying to make a tiny 1/32” hole in the back of the metal cover and using a syringe to squirt cleaner in it and move the shaft back and forth with the front panel facing down?

I’ve restored several pots like that with multiple cleanings. Let it drain back out the hole by setting it panel up and use a paper towel or cotton to absorb the cleaner as it drains back out.Let it dry thoroughly between each cleaning in that position so whatever has scraped off the element will end up stuck to the back cover. Put a small amount of suitable liquid lubricant in for the last pass.

Drill the hole until it’s almost through and use the butt of the drill to punch through so you don’t put swarf inside the control.

mr coffee

Back