Neumann U47FET Clone: D-U47 FET Microphone Project PCB Build thread

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Other info from B.Sowter,

I have released these transformers to the works and Ruth will be in contact with a quote.
Type 1303 U47FET
Type 1304 U67
Both will be in 34 mm dia x 24 high cans.

I am sure there is a possibility to have them outside the can if you ask for it ,
this is gonna be fun ,
Dan,

Sorry I guess RAD is good thing is it ?  :-\
Dan,

Naturally!
RAD as in Radical, as in "very good, my good man", as in "I like it".
etc

Has anyone found a way of mounting a standard XLR output in the Equinox U47 style body, to suit this kind of standard 48v. build?

EvLoutonian said:
Naturally!
RAD as in Radical, as in "very good, my good man", as in "I like it".
etc

Has anyone found a way of mounting a standard XLR output in the Equinox U47 style body, to suit this kind of standard 48v. build?

Buy a chinese-branded male XLR plug (switchcraft style, not neutrik), and pull out the insert where the pins are attached. It should slide right into your U-47 style body. You could also use an XLR you have laying around to save money.

-James-

Some More info on Sowter,

on top W/O can version ,
Bottom Can Version

Both available in 2 style,
hope this helps,
D.

Attachments

• BS.doc
    48 KB · Views: 85
That's great news !

Waiting patiently for a quote and availability  8)

Also I think it's better to request the caned version as I think the electromagnetic isolation will be better. Also I think it's better to have leaded wires for soldering for your (awesome) project Dany.

HellfireStudios said:
Buy a chinese-branded male XLR plug (switchcraft style, not neutrik), and pull out the insert where the pins are attached. It should slide right into your U-47 style body. You could also use an XLR you have laying around to save money.  -James-

Cool - that sounds pretty easy, thanks James - I'll try it out in my Equinox body.  Keen to try this U47FET kit.

Has anyone got the price on the Cinemag transformer mentioned above?
I'm interested to hear thoughts on the Cinemag vs Sowter offerings (as I don't have experience with either - except knowing that both have excellent reputations!).

WNStudios said:

No Clue to find out if the railing is squre is inside but for sure you could benefitiate of the switches,
if i remember well the aurycle inside switch are dpdt wich is nice, you actually need one of these for pad operation , still there is internal jumper as usual but another section where you could possibily add a mini switch on the pcb itself there is a small packgage allowing that on the pcb as another option.
Cheers,
D

poctop said:
Other info from B.Sowter: I have released these transformers to the works and Ruth will be in contact with a quote.
Type 1303 U47FET + Type 1304 U67.  Both will be in 34 mm dia x 24 high cans.

Hi Dan & other U47fet builders!

I got in touch with Sowter and it sounds like the 1303 o/p transformer will be about 50 pounds (approx $80 dollars).  I'm wondering if we could arrange a bit of a group buy and get a better price, if this seems to be a good way to go?

But I'm not sure how many we would need to order to get the price down enough to make it worthwhile doing..

I'm just emailed Brian Sowter to ask for details, and how their transformer is constructed, etc.. 

He said:

1303 is 9:1.

We use our normal interleaved winding sections for this transformer.  In this case 2 half primary sections sandwiching the secondary.  This gives an excellent bandwidth with this size of transformer.

We do not normally put this type of transformer in a can filled with wax.  Very occasionally we do also apply adhesive to the windings to reduce microphony but do not do so unless the customer asks for it.  In this case I think any microphony would not be a problem as is part of a microphone and the level of signal cause by the transformer would be  minute compared with the microphone itself and perhaps the valve too.

Best regards
Brian Sowter

A group buy would be great!

Dont know how many U47FET PCBs have been sold, but I bet we are enough to get a discount.

Poctop? Igor? What are the numbers?

I think the group Buy is a good thing ,  but this tranformer is a new release so i bet i would be better to slowly have a feel for the tranformer options ( Cinemag, Sowter , and might AMI come with something soon and i am not talking about the 550$ replica) before we order a bunch od those , i really would like to see many reciepe and then have some comments about those, and take it from there ,  i am sure Brian would like to sell a few to strat with and get some initial feedback first but i might be wrong.
just my 0.02
Again nothing against a group buy but it might be a bit prematured,
Best,
Dan,

Hmm, good point, Dan.
I believe Mark Fouxman (SAMAR) may have an appropriate and also excellent transformer for this application.
I don't know which way to go!
Tell me if I'm wrong, but both the Cinemag and Sowter options each seem to be around $80 USD + postage?
I'm not sure how much the SAMAR transformers are.
I believe he does a 9:1 ratio transformer with chambered / interleaved construction, windings soaked and molded in varnish, old school style.

Please Feed with some links so we can have a look if possible,
thanks,
Dan,

would also be happy to see SAMAR chime in as well,
all doors open ,
D.

Hey folks,

Thank you for your interest in our transformers! Yes, we make 9:1, which in construction is quite close to our 10.5:1 replacement for original U87 transformer (if you are interested I can ask for comparison sound samples the studio for whom I made that swap in their 3 U87AI's).

The main difference from all other transformers on the market is that (as already has been mentioned) we mold the turns in varnish, which eliminates distortion associated with mechanical movement of the copper wire along with music signal. This technique was widely used once (ever wondered why old Peerless and Western Electric iron sounds so good?), but not in the modern transformers (or at least we are aware of).

Also, in addition to the interleaving the primary and secondary, in order to reduce winding capacitance we also wind them chambered.

The price is $109, but of course, with group buy the price will go down. If somebody is willing to try it we can make sample transformer and send to audition.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Best, Mark

Marik said:
Hey folks,

Thank you for your interest in our transformers! Yes, we make 9:1, which in construction is quite close to our 10.5:1 replacement for original U87 transformer (if you are interested I can ask for comparison sound samples the studio for whom I made that swap in their 3 U87AI's).

The main difference from all other transformers on the market is that (as already has been mentioned) we mold the turns in varnish, which eliminates distortion associated with mechanical movement of the copper wire along with music signal. This technique was widely used once (ever wondered why old Peerless and Western Electric iron sounds so good?), but not in the modern transformers (or at least we are aware of).

Also, in addition to the interleaving the primary and secondary, in order to reduce winding capacitance we also wind them chambered.

The price is $109, but of course, with group buy the price will go down. If somebody is willing to try it we can make sample transformer and send to audition.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Best, Mark

Mark, I'd be interested to hear those samples!

Back