Neumann U67 Clone : D-U67 Tube Microphone Build Thread.

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Turns out my neighbor has a drill press and I’ll buy an 11/16 bit. We will get it done but yeah had I known a Marshall light would perfectly fit I would have went with that

I guess maybe I drilled out the holes to 11/16" and don't remember?
Clearly your product support here has been terrible. I'll certainly try to do better in the future.
Anyway, good luck with your build.

I found an alternate capsule mount on eBay like the one Danny uses in the build guide

Attachments

• 53DD2C5A-D085-4DBD-B87E-744D250E2586.jpeg
    53DD2C5A-D085-4DBD-B87E-744D250E2586.jpeg
    220.8 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
Can someone please share pics of their d67 with moby transformer? I’m interested how it’s mounted for reference.

"Tube mic cable length" for future searching... Is 30' a bit too long for the cable between mic and PSU? If working a hostile RF/EMI environment, would it be better to have the cable 10' or so? Don't know how I could go shorter than that for things like OHs.

Is 30' a bit too long for the cable between mic and PSU?
I usually go at least 20'
I think you will be fine at 30'
The audio is twisted pair and should reject common noise in a hostile environment.
The heater and power will have some voltage drop due to length (which you could calculate based on the AWG) but it shouldn't be signficant until you are >>30'

yeah, i need to gather up the relevant specs for this to do the VD calculation. or just go 20' and call it a day. seems simpler than the potential need to recalibrate based on different cable run lengths of 10 vs 30!

Thanks - didn't have the mA values handy, am just in verrrry initial stages. Which should be noted when taking into account the following:
I had assumed 7 conductor though, so Mogami W2642, no? For that all lines are 26AWG, and it looks like 20AWG for GAC7. Still negligible Vd.

There's been previous discussion on 6 vs 7 conductors. 7 is needed to have a pattern, power ground, and shield ground (plus B+, H+, balanced signal)
Unfortunately, the Mogami 3172 tube mic cable has 6 with thicker AWG for H+ and ground and I don't like the Gotham 7c as much (stiffer). Unfortunately, Redco doesn't make their brand tube mic cable with 7 any longer (it was really nice)
The Mogami 3172 does have a wire wrapped shield which could connect to the mic body and serve as the shield ground, I think, but I would rather have the 7th conductor serving as a shield ground.

The W2642 has thinner wires but would work. You will expect more voltage drop and dissipation in the cable with the thinner AWG.

Hi guys!

Maybe there is something I don't understand but it seems nothing matches between T67 specifications, the T67 PCB and the U67 schematic.

Is there anyone the AMI T67 and T67 transformer board PCB works for ?

If someone has an answer...

EDIT July 2022 : all instructions are correct, I follow the errata feedback winding polarity and the mic works fine. Thanks to Dan!

Last edited:
Is there anyone the AMI T67 and T67 transformer board PCB works for ?
Yes, I followed the instructions on page 1 of this thread labeled "Errata Feedback winding polarity... AMI T67 Corrected Wiring to main microphone pcb" and it worked the first time. It is the same wiring for Dan's D-M269b/c. Did you match the "Black Mark" on the transformer (it was silver on mine) to the PCB? I wish that AMI would not have made them symmetric, since that allows you to put them in backwards.

Yes, I followed the instructions on page 1 of this thread labeled "Errata Feedback winding polarity... AMI T67 Corrected Wiring to main microphone pcb" and it worked the first time. It is the same wiring for Dan's D-M269b/c. Did you match the "Black Mark" on the transformer (it was silver on mine) to the PCB? I wish that AMI would not have made them symmetric, since that allows you to put them in backwards.
Thanks for your answer @doqmemory, the mic works great now and sounds fantastic!

Latest posts

Back