neumann v475 pimping ...

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
helterbelter said:
Yes, DIN 41612.
Be sure that you've got either the 64 (AC, not AB) pin or 96 pin (ABC) version. There are also other options available, but if you got one as mentioned, you'll be safe.

As a matter of fact, I have got one left. If you want it, drop me an email.
I'll have a look when I get home, I think my475 is a B

helterbelter said:
Yes, DIN 41612.
Be sure that you've got either the 64 (AC, not AB) pin or 96 pin (ABC) version. There are also other options available, but if you got one as mentioned, you'll be safe.

As a matter of fact, I have got one left. If you want it, drop me an email.

I only count 32 pins?
its a V475C by the way

32 pins, yes, that's correct, that's because not all pins of a regular 41612 ABC 96p or an AC 64pin connector are used. These do fit however. I could say that you need a 32 pin 41612, but chances are big that you'll buy one that doesn't fit, because there are different sizes of 41612 connectors, with different pitches as well. Pictures on sites like Fanell and RS are often misleading, since they're "for illustrative purposes only".

But as said earlier, I've got a leftover for you in case you'd like to have it. You only have to pay for the postage, plus a euro for the f*@^#& paypalfees. Won't be more than 3 euros.

helterbelter said:
32 pins, yes, that's correct, that's because not all pins of a regular 41612 ABC 96p or an AC 64pin connector are used. These do fit however. I could say that you need a 32 pin 41612, but chances are big that you'll buy one that doesn't fit, because there are different sizes of 41612 connectors, with different pitches as well. Pictures on sites like Fanell and RS are often misleading, since they're "for illustrative purposes only".

But as said earlier, I've got a leftover for you in case you'd like to have it. You only have to pay for the postage, plus a euro for the f*@^#& paypalfees. Won't be more than 3 euros.
Thanks man, I PM'd you. Lets call it 5eur  :)

Do you yhink its worth making up some PCB's to mount the Jack sockets and resistors?
I could stack the 2 boards so the top row of jacks would be L and the bottom row would be R.
Its just now I have access to acid baths and all the other PCB facilities at college, would definately make for a tidyier build.

Autophase said:
Do you yhink its worth making up some PCB's to mount the Jack sockets and resistors?
I could stack the 2 boards so the top row of jacks would be L and the bottom row would be R.
Its just now I have access to acid baths and all the other PCB facilities at college, would definately make for a tidyier build.

I think yes! Looks a lot tidier and it's not a very difficult pcb design.
I would be interested in a pcb with 4 dsub25 connectors for a 32 channel summer...but I see your doing jacks   :'(

EDIT: Volker, your unit looks very tidy as well....

radiance said:
Autophase said:

I think yes! Looks a lot tidier and it's not a very difficult pcb design.
I would be interested in a pcb with 4 dsub25 connectors for a 32 channel summer...but I see your doing jacks   :'(

EDIT: Volker, your unit looks very tidy as well....

indeed volkers unit is very tidy, but he has more skills than I, so PCB's would be more beneficial to me.
Who knows roland, if I can do it all for free at college id gladly knock you some up, gratis of course, as you have been on hand for my GSSL build.

summing PCBs  ;D

I thought a lot about this in the past.
even doing a whole project, incl. a V475 clone on the PCB.
that was until Haufe told me the price of the transformers ;D ;D ;D

thinking again a modular PCB design could be interesting.
PCBs for
8 channels with XLRs
8 channels SubD25
8 channels with jacks
the summing buss linkable to daisy chain them.

further modules could include relay switched mono summing ...
this is what I miss in my build  ::)

[silent:arts] said:
summing PCBs  ;D

I thought a lot about this in the past.
even doing a whole project, incl. a V475 clone on the PCB.
that was until Haufe told me the price of the transformers ;D ;D ;D

thinking again a modular PCB design could be interesting.
PCBs for
8 channels with XLRs
8 channels SubD25
8 channels with jacks
the summing buss linkable to daisy chain them.

further modules could include relay switched mono summing ...
this is what I miss in my build  ::)

A bit beyond what I was thinking, but hey I'm here to learn.
So you mean have one main board with the 475, then have PCI type card slots and you can slot in an 8 chan card of Dsub, xlr or jack, people can change it up to their own specs.
I like your thinking.

I'll let you know how I get on with my PCB's.
Need to finish my gssl yet, I damaged one of the tracks while troubleshooting, half tempted to start from scratch, it was the first thing I have done and there was so much I learnt just about the approach, starting from scratch would be less hassle for me.

quick question, do I need to do anything else to my V465C other than remove and jumper the filter board, and replace electrolytics?
Are there any cap value changes for the C, or are they just for people who have B or earlier?

ok just had a crazy thought, before boxing my GSSL, I was thinking I could easilly get the neumann summing and the gssl in one case, now what would i need to do to have 1 transformer powering the 2?
Its not massively important to have them in the same case, but i thought it would be quite nice seeing as they are both going to be used for mastering.

since the V475 needs +24V, and the GSSL +/- 18V not the best idea imho.
doable, but having them separated is better.

ok no probs.
Oh by the way do I need to buy one of your PSU's for the neumann? I totally forgot about that.

you can use any +24V DC psu, mine sound better but who cares ;D ;D ;D
I'll order one of them next week (payday  :))
oh while you are on could you answer my question about the caps?
do I need to do anything else to my V465C other than remove and jumper the filter board, and replace electrolytics?
Are there any cap value changes for the C, or are they just for people who have B or earlier?

Back