Neve style 500 series mic pre 1290 1073

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cap touching cases should be fine.  It's only electrolytics and tantalums that dry out really.  If you're worried.. perhaps you could mount it on the underside?  But I wouldn't say you'd need to.  Shame no big stores sell a smaller version of the 330p...  Just NOS from ebay is all I see about.

Switch pins do short anyway where you've circled in red..

onlymeeee said:
Cap touching cases should be fine.  It's only electrolytics and tantalums that dry out really.  If you're worried.. perhaps you could mount it on the underside?  But I wouldn't say you'd need to.  Shame no big stores sell a smaller version of the 330p...  Just NOS from ebay is all I see about.

How about this one here, are they meant to short?
partUnknown-p.jpg

It's a little close on the 100uh 25v blue cap? I may try but Im not sure whether I have enough leg left on the C5B.
nv73Journey-9.jpg

Where did you source the one in your build for C5b?

How often can you solder and desolder components before you actually damage it?

canidoit said:
onlymeeee said:
Cap touching cases should be fine.  It's only electrolytics and tantalums that dry out really.  If you're worried.. perhaps you could mount it on the underside?  But I wouldn't say you'd need to.  Shame no big stores sell a smaller version of the 330p...  Just NOS from ebay is all I see about.

How about this one here, are they meant to short?  Yep if you look at the schematic you'll see, pin P goes to one side of the pot.  L goes to the wiper(middle) of pot
partUnknown-p.jpg

From what I recall there was not enough space to solder C5B to the underside.

Where did you source the one in your build for C5b?  new old stock from ebay eg. http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/POLYSTYRENE-CAPACITOR-330pF-0-33nF-63V-Lot-25-/230553403815?pt=UK_BOI_Electrical_Components_Supplies_ET&hash=item35ae0dc1a7

onlymeeee said:
new old stock from ebay eg. http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/POLYSTYRENE-CAPACITOR-330pF-0-33nF-63V-Lot-25-/230553403815?pt=UK_BOI_Electrical_Components_Supplies_ET&hash=item35ae0dc1a7
Thats the same dimensions as the one I have and in your BOM which was giving me installation issues. How about the one you used for your pic circled in red?

dblawn-edit.jpg

canidoit said:
onlymeeee said:
new old stock from ebay eg. http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/POLYSTYRENE-CAPACITOR-330pF-0-33nF-63V-Lot-25-/230553403815?pt=UK_BOI_Electrical_Components_Supplies_ET&hash=item35ae0dc1a7
Thats the same dimensions as the one I have and in your BOM which was giving me installation issues. How about the one you used for your pic circled in red?

How can you tell it's dimensions?  Looks MUCH smaller to me.

kepeb said:
I have some small NOS 330p left, in the spirit of xmas i will send you a gift. if you would like :)
I couldn't do that my friend.  :)

I would like to pay for it. Please message me the dimensions of the cap because I just want to confirm the space I have, your paypal account and cost to post it to Australia and I will sort it out.

Thank you, very much appreciated for the good deed!

SDC12874.jpg

they are 10mm x 3mm, just a fraction bigger than the most common resistors you see.

nah, the people are nice here, thought i'd join in :)
just will need postage as i am literally broke this xmas :D

kepeb said:
SDC12874.jpg

they are 10mm x 3mm, just a fraction bigger than the most common resistors you see.

nah, the people are nice here, thought i'd join in :)
just will need postage as i am literally broke this xmas :D
Who are you trying to fool here Kepeb!
That cap is a lot larger than 10 X 3mm.
I mean look how much bigger it is compared to those 2 little white resistors in the pic!  ;D

O.K. I shall take one off your hands, just message me the cost for posting. I think letter is the most cost effective.

You should keep atleast one for backup. Do you have a multimeter to test it prior to posting?

well, my gf has got me a fourth budget multimeter for xmas, this time with capacitance on it :)
but until then i cant measure but if i understand right these caps are pretty tight in tolerance.

anyway, I bought a few with some other bits but they took so long to arrive i'd already stuffed my nv73's with bigger ones (i'm 24volt 51x anyway)

if you pm/email me your address i'll send a letter.

same goes for another few nv73 builders, if your in the UK and need these small ones just paypal me enough for a stamped envelope.

OK, so I had to ask ONE silly question before I finish this thing.  Apologies if this has been discussed, but I don't remember seeing it in the thread here.  Anyway, I'm blinding myself trying to find where R8B is.  I don't see where it goes and I also don't see it on the schematic (love the pdf schem, btw so I can search for part nums).  I even put my glasses on!  No help there..  So, so close.

Brian

horvitz said:
OK, so I had to ask ONE silly question before I finish this thing.  Apologies if this has been discussed, but I don't remember seeing it in the thread here.  Anyway, I'm blinding myself trying to find where R8B is.  I don't see where it goes and I also don't see it on the schematic (love the pdf schem, btw so I can search for part nums).  I even put my glasses on!  No help there..  So, so close.

Brian

That's not on there anymore. That's the extra 33k spoken about earlier. Apologies. Forgot to take off the BOM, the general bom googledoc has now been updated to show it's not needed.  Apologies for any loss of sight! 

jandoste said:
Done :) Great sound ! Great build ! Great support!
Well done David! Thank again!

P.S. If you got an idea for the next build I'll be the first Sir!
:)

Good work!  Glad all went smooth!
Thanks for the kind words!

Hope everyone has a good Christmas/New Year!

onlymeeee said:
That's not on there anymore. That's the extra 33k spoken about earlier. Apologies. Forgot to take off the BOM, the general bom googledoc has now been updated to show it's not needed.  Apologies for any loss of sight! 

No worries! Couldn't see so good to start with ;D  Thanks for the quick answer!

onlymeeee said:
That's not on there anymore. That's the extra 33k spoken about earlier. Apologies. Forgot to take off the BOM, the general bom googledoc has now been updated to show it's not needed.  Apologies for any loss of sight!  
I havent got my board here at the moment, but what happens if you have soldered R8b in?
Is R8b on the Rev 3.02 PCB board?

canidoit said:
onlymeeee said:

dblawn-edit.jpg

Hey Canidoit, Happy Christmas mate. You on this build then? How is it coming along, as I'm considering.

I'm a vet of the VP312 build now, and have a nice 51x rack and 51xPSU residing as well. thanks for hte early inspiration dude.

Cheers Matt

Hey New Soul Rebel, good to hear from you mate!

Merry xmas and happy new years coming  ;D

Check out my NV73 journey if you decide to do this build, maybe you will find it useful.
http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=41920.0

I also have some docs that I can email you with some of my notes in there.

I haven't tested my build yet, it's pretty much done but not screwed together as final assembly, just waiting on my smaller 330pf resistor which a kind gentleman here has offered to help me with :)

To be honest, I thought the smaller package in these 500 series would be an easier build than the racks I have done, but seriously these little tackers are a bit of work as well!

Congrats on your build accomplishments!!

canidoit said:
onlymeeee said:
I havent got my board here at the moment, but what happens if you have soldered R8b in?
Is R8b on the Rev 3.02 PCB board?

Not on the board
Merry Christmas from a freezing cold London

@onlymee: i will also wire it fixed as i'm not able to source the AGQ26024 either (in europe).
What about the opposite side ? doesn't need that to be "switched" on as well ? (datasheet looks like...)
can you re-verify ?

thanks

Back