new Apple OS Mavericks

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pucho812

So Apple has a new version of OS that is a free upgrade to people from os 10.6 They have dropped the cat names and now have  "mavericks". Too much to keep up with all the time. How is a developer supposed to stay current or even close to current?

They are also phasing out the optical drive. Now what will music end up on, vinyl and as a download? Could the custom logo USB stick be the next thing for band marketing? Have your music all available on a custom logo USB stick. hmmmmmm

pucho812 said:
So Apple has a new version of OS that is a free upgrade to people from os 10.6 They have dropped the cat names and now have  "mavericks". Too much to keep up with all the time. How is a developer supposed to stay current or even close to current?

Full-time developers pay attention to what is coming down the pike. I'm barely a developer (I subscribe to the Apple Developers group because it helps when you're a hardware guy to understand driver stuff) and I've known about 10.9  and its new name since basically the day after 10.8 went gold.

They are also phasing out the optical drive. Now what will music end up on, vinyl and as a download? Could the custom logo USB stick be the next thing for band marketing? Have your music all available on a custom logo USB stick. hmmmmmm

I bought a 17" MacBook Pro in Feb 2012 and I think I've used the optical disc drive exactly twice. The only thing I use the optical drive on my 2008 iMac is for importing CDs, and that project is mostly done.

If you want an optical drive to play your CDs or DVDs you can buy a USB drive for a few bucks. We did when we bought a new Mac mini for my wife. I think she's used it less than a dozen times in almost year.

I see boxed software in stores and laugh. I mean, does ANYONE buy boxed software any more?

-a

Progress!

Does anyone remember the outcry when they dropped the 3.5 inch floppy disc, or the 5.25 inch before it?

(I used to work on a spectrometer with a single sided 12 inch floppy disc drive... amazing! I think it held about 100Kb....)

Andy Peters said:
I see boxed software in stores and laugh. I mean, does ANYONE buy boxed software any more?
I recently purchased Nuendo 6.  Checkout,  download ( ~8gb ) & install took less than 15 minutes.

I put in Mavericks.. and one nice thing is that when you do an open from within an application you can sort the columns again like in the good old days.  For me that is enough of a reason to run it unless it kills me in some other way.

I bought my new MacBookPro a year ago and picked up an optical drive.  I have yet to use it.  It's still shrink wrapped.  I'll probably put it up on ebay soon.

I use my optical drive frequently, but mostly to import movies in to iTunes for streaming to the living room AppleTV.  I also use it to import media from clients during live corporate events.  They usually bring me a usb stick, but I never know what I'm going to get.  As for Mavericks, I installed it last night, and it seems to be working just fine.  I'm not putting it on my production laptop until all the bugs are worked out.

i sure use a lot of apple products and like them,  but i am not a fan of apple.

in a nutshell, this article sums up what i have felt about 'em for a while now.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/03/magazine/why-apple-wants-to-bust-your-iphone.html?src=me&ref=general&_r=0

I saw that article... and I searched for any indication, data or reporting that said that there was any actual planned obsolescence going on...  And couldn't find it.  Author only states that the new software runs slow on the old hardware (not a big surprise really).

Planned obsolescence is something to worry about, and it is something to report about, and I think maybe Katherine Cambell should do so.

I felt it violated the all the news thats fit to print header.

QUEEF BAG said:
i sure use a lot of apple products and like them,  but i am not a fan of apple.

in a nutshell, this article sums up what i have felt about 'em for a while now.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/03/magazine/why-apple-wants-to-bust-your-iphone.html?src=me&ref=general&_r=0

That article has a lot of assumptions and assertions, but nothing concrete to back them up.

Why would Apple be any different from the other smartphone vendors?

Oh, and this line: "The iPhone 5S and 5C offer fewer quantum improvements." She, or her copy editor, should use the dictionary, because the word "quantum" doesn't mean what she thinks it means.

-a

bruce0 said:
I saw that article... and I searched for any indication, data or reporting that said that there was any actual planned obsolescence going on...  And couldn't find it.  Author only states that the new software runs slow on the old hardware (not a big surprise really).

Planned obsolescence is something to worry about, and it is something to report about, and I think maybe Katherine Cambell should do so.

I felt it violated the all the news thats fit to print header.

the latest macbook pros come without optical drive, a continuing trend started with the macbook air

True, no optical. 

I have one and it does have 2 thunderbolt ports which lets me run two huge monitors.

We use optical less now and OSX will share a household DVD drive as long as you have one mac with a drive.

And it is light and portable and very fast.

I only wish they would put a second thunderbolt on the mini... but that would kick it into the Mac Pro space because the mini is REALLY fast.

I fear planned obsolescence decisions can be made and may be irresistible within the rank and file designers, however the article did nothing to illuminate that.  It was simply an unsupported attack. Kathy should have supported her attack.

Latest posts

Back