Newbie question - DI box is going to be my first project

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi!
I'm trying to build one of these but I got a problem. It seems I only get aprox 12 v where it sholud be 24 and when i plug my bass in its like I've built myself a distortion box instead of e clean DI box. I'm kind of new at this, any suggestions?
I'm using Lundahl LL1538XL by the way.

EDIT: problem solved.... I'm stupid :cool:

I'm just soldering Bo's DI and am not sure how to connect OEP A262A3E transformer.
I know it is connected backwards, but those start and finish markings are confusing me.
I'm also not sure what to do with 9th pin. Is this shield?

"rotation"

You shall connect the OEP A262A3E in paralell both on primary and secondary to get 150 ohm to 6,25 kohm, and use it backwards to get a ratio of 6.45:1.

pin connecting as following:

use as primary, feed from the DI electronic
5+6 as high
7+8 as low

use as secondary, output to the XLR connector
1+2 as high
3+4 as low

Transformer core ground is pin 9

BTW, I find one of my earlier posting, about this OEP transformer.

Prodigy pro lab, 2004-07-08

Kubi,

The OEP's A262A3E connected in 6,25K to 150 ohm will fit in this circuit but I have not use this transformer in DI application when I have don a recording session so I can not tell about the sound quality.
I have only use this transformar for PA and communication applications and it is a good general purpose transformer for this very low price (under £10 in UK) and easy to get.
But the Lundahl LL-1538 (aprox. £40 in UK) is a transformer in a high quality division, and it can not be comparable with the OEP that is a semi-pro transformer.

A good middle alternative are the transformer that I use in my orginal version around 1975 the Sowter 3678 in 1:5 configuration (under £30 in UK)

Or maybe try the old famous Neve microphone input transformer
10468 / VT-22670 / T-1454, configurated in 300 ohm to 4,8 K
To day manufacture by Carnhill, type: VTB-9045
or Sowter type: 9145

--Bo

Thanks for your kind response. I have one more question :)

What means 5+6 high and 7+8 low? Does it mean i have to connect pins 5+6 to upper side of schematic where 10uF capacytor is and connect 7+8 to the ground?

"rotation"

Ok, I understand why you are confused, I refer to a other OEP product paper with different pin out numbers, but you can find it here and compare with the pin placement you have:
http://www.canford.co.uk/commerce/resources/catdetails/2739.pdf

High and low explanation:

use as primary, feed from the DI electronic
5+6 as high= from the 10 uF capacitor
7+8 as low= to electronics ground rail

use as secondary, output to the XLR connector
1+2 as high= to XLR pin 2
3+4 as low= to XLR pin 3

Transformer core ground is pin 9= to electronics ground rail (same as 7+8)

--Bo

"Datatape"

Nice to here that you like my DI-box.

Yes, I think Cinemag CM-75101 is a good transformer, but in 15 k to 150 ohm, 10:1 ratio configuration, it have to much loss, so in 15 k to 600 ohm, 5:1 ratio config. it will work better.

--Bo

Back