NT2 upgrades... which is better?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kinda weird the guy couldn't figure it out. You cut the traces after c2 and c3, add 10k resistors in series and bypass with 1nf capacitor. You don't need the pot in the drawing.
I see.. Guy is kinda old and didn't mess with audio stuff too much. Always wants to see examples of the finished work. Do you have the same board ? It looks like there are a few versions of NT2.

Well, since your mic doesn't have a transformer, this argument is sort of "academic", isn't it?

No, there are not. The NT2 is the NT2 - U87-looking body, Schoeps circuit.

The only other "version" in existence is the NT2-A, which is an entirely different beast.

http://recordinghacks.com/microphones/Rode/NT2
versus

http://recordinghacks.com/microphones/Rode/NT2-A
I'll think there's a version with a transformer. Mine has not a transformer.. Right
Well, since your mic doesn't have a transformer, this argument is sort of "academic", isn't it?
Argument was whether Nt2 has alternate versions and it has. Because i was wondering why my electrician couldn't make the mod.
Now after a few records, i thought i can keep my mic that way because it still has a great sound.
Thanks for the input though.

Added the 10K's and the 1nfd, lost C4/5. Lower output than my TLM67, but extremely similar.

Not to open a can of worms, but after digging around I see Jim Williams repeatedly say the stock polarization voltage is too high, but I don't see anyone lowering it as he mentions. Anyone go there?

Added the 10K's and the 1nfd, lost C4/5. Lower output than my TLM67, but extremely similar.

Not to open a can of worms, but after digging around I see Jim Williams repeatedly say the stock polarization voltage is too high, but I don't see anyone lowering it as he mentions. Anyone go there?
Yes, but i couldn't measure, or hear any difference. Went up to 80v, and down to 40v. Exact same responses, sound the same to me.

Some edge terminated capsules are not happy above 60v, they get too close to colapsing, at since thet have no center termination they have no additional support. The distance between capsule and backplate diminishes, and this might cause change at voltages closer to the upper limit. K67 seem to have this limit set much higher.

Yes, but i couldn't measure, or hear any difference. Went up to 80v, and down to 40v. Exact same responses, sound the same to me.

Some edge terminated capsules are not happy above 60v, they get too close to colapsing, at since thet have no center termination they have no additional support. The distance between capsule and backplate diminishes, and this might cause change at voltages closer to the upper limit. K67 seem to have this limit set much higher.
Thanks for the info. This is all relatively new to me and a few questions arise. Is there any reliable information or a list of what the available capsules can tolerate in terms of polarisation voltage? Does a collapse of the capsule announce itself somehow or does it happen suddenly? Is the capsule KIA after a collapse?

I am currently experimenting, the original circuit works with a polarisation voltage above 100V, I think current capsules cannot withstand this?

Do you have experience in this regard with this edge terminated china capsule?

58676-2be16990fbcff6454acdc0352d7d0ba5.jpg

Thanks for the info. This is all relatively new to me and a few questions arise. Is there any reliable information or a list of what the available capsules can tolerate in terms of polarisation voltage? Does a collapse of the capsule announce itself somehow or does it happen suddenly? Is the capsule KIA after a collapse?

I am currently experimenting, the original circuit works with a polarisation voltage above 100V, I think current capsules cannot withstand this?

Do you have experience in this regard with this edge terminated china capsule?

View attachment 106880
I have a capsule that looks like that one, but can't be sure if they are the same. That one colapses quickly above 60v. No announcement really, but it doesn't get damaged if it colapses. Edge terminated from Røde, the one found in black NT1 takes 100v no problem, i have used it at 100v for very long time without any issues. It depends mostly on diaphragm tension. It the diaphragm is looser it colapses quckly, but has better low end response than a tight one. Be carefull above 100v, i have once fried a k67 at 120v. Weird thing it didn't colapse even at 120v, but i got arcing which made a hole in the diaphragm.

100v mod:
https://groupdiy.com/threads/rode-nt1-kit-the-black-one-mods.77086/post-980803
Fried capsule thread:
How to fry a microphone capsule

I have a capsule that looks like that one, but can't be sure if they are the same. That one colapses quickly above 60v. No announcement really, but it doesn't get damaged if it colapses. Edge terminated from Røde, the one found in black NT1 takes 100v no problem, i have used it at 100v for very long time without any issues. It depends mostly on diaphragm tension. It the diaphragm is looser it colapses quckly, but has better low end response than a tight one. Be carefull above 100v, i have once fried a k67 at 120v. Weird thing it didn't colapse even at 120v, but i got arcing which made a hole in the diaphragm.

100v mod:
https://groupdiy.com/threads/rode-nt1-kit-the-black-one-mods.77086/post-980803
Fried capsule thread:
How to fry a microphone capsule
Very informative, thanks a lot!👍

Had a vocal session with both a male and female singer, so put the modified NT2 up with my TLM67. I could use either, extremely similar, most people thought they sounded the same. The NT2 had a little more air and complemented the male lead singer, the TLM67 was nicer on the female BGV for the opposite reason, but I really would have been fine with either one.

Is the air difference the same as TLM67 versus U87? Can’t say.

The NT2 was lower level, and the noise floor was significantly higher than the TLM67, but in the context of a rock mix totally imperceptible. The TLM would easily win for a VO job on noise. I’ve another NT2 coming so I’ll compare stock versus modified noise, maybe I greasy fingered something I missed during cleanup.

Yeah, noise is definitely higher and gain lower in the modified example. Can't say they 2 would have been alike when stock.

I now see for the first time that TLM67 has "tube emulation" kind of thing going on. Wonder how they went about it.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230423_133857.jpg
    Screenshot_20230423_133857.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 1
I now see for the first time that TLM67 has "tube emulation" kind of thing going on. Wonder how they went about it.

It's a low level fuzzy thing that never quits. Sometimes not noticeable, others annoying. I keep a U67 retrofit preamp in the body instead 99% of the time. Not fuzzy!

Latest posts

Back