official GDIY51PSU Help & Support Thread

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Axel,

You have already asked this in your e-mail but I got it now.

You are referring to conducted emission here. In other words the noise the switch mode psu dumps back into the mains and this finding its way to your 511 psu.

I would not worry about it at this stage. Do your set up and see if there is a problem then we can look into it.

However, even if there is a problem then you clamp it right at the IEC by using a shunt cap between the line and neutral. Normally 0.1uF / 0.15uF 250V X type will do a reasonable job. If that does not work then you look into fitting a filter.

I have already posted your resistors but I'll post a cap tomorrow to rest your mind.

Kind regards.

Great looking dual power supplies. I went a different way with mine, using a 2u Par-Metal amp case and FPE front panel.

51x_dual_psu_front.JPG

Dr Gris said:
I got my dual psu case too, a work of art!!
I made the same mistake with the resistors R3,13,23,33,43....
Mr Cemal had been nice and sent a bag of resistors I thought were for the led' s, and they probably are, so I just soldered them in.
But today I pulled the resistors from the psu regulator board and put them in the fuse board because two of the resistors in the bag were 2k4 insted of 1k5.
By reading the schematic I can't see any harm done.
A BIG thank you to the team behind this, and a special thank you to Mr Cemal for all the extra' s, his informative mails and patiance with me!!

Now it' s time for a meta on 51X compatible modules running +/- 24V don't you think....

/ Magnus

Hey Magnus,

Sorry about the mistake with the 2K4 resistors. I was being macho and did not put my glasses on. Result was obvious. I made that mistake with everybody.

However, if you paralell 2 x 2K4 it will make 1K2 and it will be perfectly sufficient for the 16V  rail LEDs.

Denyle Guitars said:
Great looking dual power supplies. I went a different way with mine, using a 2u Par-Metal amp case and FPE front panel.

51x_dual_psu_front.JPG

Nice!

What do you order from Par Metal to get the heat sinks on the sides... Do you order a narrower case, and separate sinks?  I looked but couldn't find an amp case with the sinks on it.

Also, how do you connect the sinks to the powersupply boards, can you show us pictures of the guts?

Looks really nice.

sahib said:

Hey Magnus,

Sorry about the mistake with the 2K4 resistors. I was being macho and did not put my glasses on. Result was obvious. I made that mistake with everybody.

However, if you paralell 2 x 2K4 it will make 1K2 and it will be perfectly sufficient for the 16V  rail LEDs.

Thanks Cemal,

No worries, now I got some more spare resistors ;D
Since I' m a full time working family man this takes soooo looong and it' s been a busy week, but today I've made some progress.
Slow small steps, I' m learning to walk here...

bruce0 said:
Nice!

What do you order from Par Metal to get the heat sinks on the sides... Do you order a narrower case, and separate sinks?  I looked but couldn't find an amp case with the sinks on it.

Also, how do you connect the sinks to the powersupply boards, can you show us pictures of the guts?

Looks really nice.

It was a custom 2u version of their 3u amp case. The part # for the standard 3u case is 22-17125. The v.regs attach with 4-40 screws to the heatsinks, which will need to be drilled & tapped, as usual.

Well they look really nice.

Or did you put the heat sinks over the sides, with the screws through the slots? OR Did you actually find a way to replace the sides with heat sinks - so you are sinking heat directly to the finned material?

Anyway, they look great, and I will check it out next time I need to sink something (at the moment I have more power than modules.).

THanks

After many hours of fun, I've finally finished the 51x Dual PSU. Amazing project! So what's for lunch (box)?

Attachments

• 51xDUALpsu.jpg
    51xDUALpsu.jpg
    936.6 KB · Views: 92
Thanks! Yes it looks pretty clean except that I managed to melt one of the LED holders with the heat gun. There always a little idiot inside that mess up things.

One thing that was a bit strange where when I wired the LEDs.
I had taken out the heatsinks (to get a little more space), and after I had wired the first 48+
LED, I turned the PSU, and there where no light... I changed fuse, LED, checked wires and measured inputs/outputs...

No clue, well so I continued with the rest of the LEDs and every single one worked.
So after reinstalling the heatsinks I turned the PSU on once more...

And then they all lit. Everything where fine, I don't get it.  Hookus pookus?

John

John,

This may not have been the case for you but I was once servicing a compressor. Plugged it in, started taking voltage readings. Found the abnormality. Unplugged it. Fixed it. Plugged it back again. No voltages anywehere to be seen. Checked the fuse and the lot. I was about to pull my hair out, but then looked down to realise that I had plugged the spare soldering iron instead.

Well that could'nt be the case because the on switch were lit. So something else strange must have happened. Hopefully it will stay this way, it's gonba be a pain in the ass to change a single wire in there.

Thanks for all inspiring threads and support!

Best regards
John

Latest posts

Back