Optical Comp

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[quote author="analag"]Just like the LA2A. Same meter drive setup too.

analag[/quote]
I've been putting the LA2A & your circuits side by side but obviously the sidechains have somewhat different topologies.
For stereo the LA2A straps #6, for yours that would be something at the anode of U5 I figure. Or some summing/linking at the grid of U5.
Please reveal (but for no longer than three days :wink: :thumb: :guinness: )

Regards,

Peter

[quote author="clintrubber"]Please reveal (but for no longer than three days :wink: :thumb: :guinness: )

Regards,

Peter[/quote]

You know what....I will open up the comp and have a look, I think I did it a little simpler than the La2a.
I will have an answer for you before the end of three days.
icon_guinness.gif
icon_guinness.gif
icon_guinness.gif

analag

The SC amp is DC coupled. Could you just use a common 22k cathode resistor for U6's of L and R channels? Either a wire (and maybe a cap if you want AC coupling) to connect the cathodes or an (selected value) inductor that sums just the low frequencies.

[quote author="analag"]You know what....I will open up the comp and have a look, I think I did it a little simpler than the La2a.
I will have an answer for you before the end of three days.
icon_guinness.gif
icon_guinness.gif
icon_guinness.gif

analag[/quote]
Cool, thanks :thumb:
Appreciation will last beyond that period :wink:

Regards,

Peter

When I hit the stereo link switch the Vactrols and the output from the attenuator amps gets tied together. Works very well for me.

analag

[quote author="analag"]When I hit the stereo link switch the Vactrols and the output from the attenuator amps gets tied together. Works very well for me.

analag[/quote]
Thanks for the info. :thumb:
Must admit though I'm not fully understanding this.
I interpret U1 as the attenuator amp so when you say the outputs are joined I take this as some link at the 500k Threshold-pot.
And w.r.t. Vactrols you mean you simply join D1 of each channel ?

Regards,

Peter

I tie D1 together....that way I can use one attenuator to compress both channels, or use both attenuators together for stronger compression.

analag

[quote author="analag"]I tie D1 together....that way I can use one attenuator to compress both channels, or use both attenuators together for stronger compression.

analag[/quote]
Thanks for adding that, got it now. :thumb:

that way I can use one attenuator to compress both channels, or use both attenuators together for stronger compression.
Wouldn't that result in the total compression being determined by an unequal influence of each channel ?
Can imagine though that in practice this is not an issue as long as the stereo isn't too different in the L & R channels.

You can use the left only or the right or a little of both, it actually gives you a lot of choices in taming difficult stereo swings.You can even go dual mono.

analag

[quote author="analag"]You can use the left only or the right or a little of both, it actually gives you a lot of choices in taming difficult stereo swings.You can even go dual mono.

analag[/quote]

I see, all perfect :thumb:

Regards,

Peter

Back