Optical Comp

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[quote author="chrissugar"]Hey Rowan, nice to post again the schem.

I have a question. It is clear that one of the 500K pots is the THRESHOLD for the sidechain, and the other 500K is the MAKEUP GAIN, but I don't understand what is the 100K pot for. This pot will affect the level of the audio in the gain circuit, and also the level of the signal going into the sidechain. What is it's function?

chrissugar[/quote]

That pot is just like the 100K pot in the LA2A. I just added a makeup/makedown control in the middle of the circuit for added flexibility in that you can control the output...no need for padding and allows it to function as a line level device instead of a mic pre like the LA2A.
Remember it started out as a LA2A alike and eventually evolved into what you see here.

analag

hey analag (here comes another request..!) - if you get a chance to email me your circuit i'd love to try it out... (email should come up in my sig).

i haven't seen the schem yet obviously.. but have you or anyone else experimented with two optos in "anti-parallel" - a la m o o n l e y....? i've been wanting to give that a go when i get the time. i imagine the overlap of the two LDR light lags coupled with the full wave rectification would result in a fairly smooth compression.... but that's pure conjecture - gotta suck it and see!

either way.. can't wait to try yours, as nature intended, and modded...

thanks, we do love our compressors!
haima

Damn... I missed the repost :cry: :cry:

Could you or anyone mail it to anders (at) kainosmedia (dot) fi

Please, please please!!!

/Anders

What am I gonna do with you guys...ok I'll repost again, same rules three days.
I haven't been logging on due to my obsession with this Tek 575 curve tracer with option 122c I've been reviving...

analag

[quote author="sverige_cruz"]http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=E01C63EE0FE50720

... of course the original is at zero. Have a listen. Hopefully it helps, and great. If not, we can just let this thread die. Thanks to my friend Danny for cutting the drum track. Thanks to you guys for helping us all do this. :guinness:
-- Jesus[/quote]

I've just recently visited this thread again - could that drum-file be reposted ? It's expired now.

Thanks !

Peter

And another thanks for reposting. Hmm, yet another compressor, I shouldn't do it - but it's too tempting I'm afraid, apart from the Vactrols I will have most parts already around (like the EU-types ECC81, ECC82).

Please keep them coming those user-impressions :thumb:

Regards,

Peter

[quote author="clintrubber"]Please keep them coming those user-impressions :thumb:

Regards,

Peter[/quote]

I know what your impression would be...."WOW".... and I'm being humble.
icon_wink.gif
Seriously though this shit aint no joke.

analag

[quote author="analag"][quote author="clintrubber"]Please keep them coming those user-impressions :thumb:

Regards,

Peter[/quote]

I know what your impression would be...."WOW".... and I'm being humble.
icon_wink.gif
Seriously though this shit aint no joke.

analag[/quote]

Ahhh, words are only words...

Maybe that WOW_f*ckinggreat_unprocessed.wav
& WOW_f*ckinggreat_processed.wav can convince me :wink: :thumb:

But just kidding. As I said this project is tempting. Not much need for vocal-processing here, but I understood it's a nice thing across the stereo buss, right ? And covers a different area than the (G-)SSL.

Regards,

Peter

Ah, and stereo strapping comes to mind... before re-inventing the wheel for this circuit, where/how did you let the two units meet each other ?

Regards,

Peter

[quote author="solder_city"]oh boy, we are *so* privileged to get to see the secret wile e.coyote super-genius schematic for another 3 days. gimme a break...

:razz: :razz:[/quote]

Ha ha....yeah.

[quote author="solder_city"]oh boy, we are *so* privileged to get to see the secret wile e.coyote super-genius schematic for another 3 days. gimme a break...[/quote]

What are you, a masochist?

Back