Peluso P14 experiences?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Icantthinkofaname

Anybody use the Peluso P414 yet? Normally I wouldn't consider any of Peluso's stuff, but I'm seeing a lot of the older C414s on eBay listed for like twice what they used to sell for, so I'm considering it for a C414 style mic to put a good capsule into. This is an alternative I'm considering if I can't find an older C414 for $1000~.

I'm also considering used Austrian Audio OC818s but I haven't seen many and I've heard recently the QC has been pretty bad on them.

I saw a comparison on youtube once against a bunch of classic 414s. I just looked and can't find the video I saw, but there are some P414 videos up there.
Yeah there's the one with a C12a and C414 comparison from Vintage King, and there's the RecordinMag one with a teflon EB, and a modern C414, I believe it was the XLS. I found the P414 extremely sibilant, dare I say spitty sounding, in comparison in each. I don't think the Austrian Audio OC818 is quite what I'm looking for either

Yeah there's the one with a C12a and C414 comparison from Vintage King, and there's the RecordinMag one with a teflon EB, and a modern C414, I believe it was the XLS. I found the P414 extremely sibilant, dare I say spitty sounding, in comparison in each. I don't think the Austrian Audio OC818 is quite what I'm looking for either
I would need to listen again. My lasting memory on drums was that it wasn't reproducing as much low end as the 414s.

No P414 use here, but I’ve used been using 414TLII and OC818 mics on 122 Leslie cabs, Rhodes, C7 piano, Mesa Half-Stacks, and Fender Twins; always in omni, into API, RND, UA, and Sage preamps. Been loving it all. I seem to like the 414TLII as additional mics for getting more mid definition and clarity. The OC818 when used as more of the main sound.

The P414s I tried were so bad I queried whether they were faulty. Not only did they sound nothing like a C414 but they distorted horribly when placed in front of a guitar amp.

The OC818 is a really good mic though.

Should we ask one of the mods to correct the thread title, so it shows up appropriately in search results and such? Apparently people need to be warned about these...

Anybody use the Peluso P414 yet? Normally I wouldn't consider any of Peluso's stuff, but I'm seeing a lot of the older C414s on eBay listed for like twice what they used to sell for, so I'm considering it for a C414 style mic to put a good capsule into. This is an alternative I'm considering if I can't find an older C414 for $1000~.

I'm also considering used Austrian Audio OC818s but I haven't seen many and I've heard recently the QC has been pretty bad on them.

I have a pair of OC818s and they are great mics, seem extremely well made—no quality issues there. You can take the signal from both diaphragms separately and select the pattern after recording with their software, use the built in switch, or use their Bluetooth dongle (if that works for you).

lol-typing on the phone….
yes, but im pretty sure he’s working on one as he replaced the a nylon capsule for a brass one on a 414 for a friend of mine
I don't think that's indicative of anything, I think Tim Campbell will install his capsule for you too (at least last time I asked). I'd love to see either of them make a C414 style mic though

Last edited:
And wouldn't you know that there is a glowing review of the P-414 in the latest issue of Tape Op with nothing but praise, and ends with "Do yourself a favor and pick one up (or more) of these immediately."

And wouldn't you know that there is a glowing review of the P-414 in the latest issue of Tape Op with nothing but praise, and ends with "Do yourself a favor and pick one up (or more) of these immediately."

Taken from that article

"The C 414 EB is well known for its powerful midrange capabilities – with a very musical and broad boost between 300 Hz and its airy top end – primarily due to its CK12-style brass capsule. Dedicated to re-creating the unique charm of the C 414 EB, the team at Peluso Microphone Lab use the same brass dual-backplate edge-terminated 34 mm capsule as the original."

This is false, p414 doesn't use the same brass capsule as the original.
So the whole thing is either paid false advertisement, or the person who wrote it has no idea what they are talking about.

For anyone who wants to polute their mind with load of worthless $%&* such as:
"The P-414 is equipped with a custom transformer in order to ensure an extremely low noise floor, making it ideal for modern recording studios."

https://tapeop.com/reviews/gear/148/p-414-microphone/

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back