Post music here

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I hardly ever listen to new music, I'm not done with the 70's yet, as I keep finding these amazing grooves.
Never knew Japan was this funky, amazing album !

Here's a song I wrote a while ago...called 'Offering'. Was fooling around on piano for a few weeks at the time. You guys will have to forgive any fumbling around or mistakes. Recorded on a small personal voice recorder, then put through the Pye limiter (plugin) and some eq.

Offering

I am waiting
I've been waiting for you
For so long

Can't contain my love
I wanna share it
With you

Down I'm smiling
When you're around

Can we give
Unaccountably
Of ourselves

From me to you
From me to you

It's an Offering
From me to you
It's an Offering
From me to you

From me to you
From me to you

My cover of one of my favorite songs from another Baltimore songwriter, Brooks Long. He mostly does soul but he's written some folk, blues, and modern R&B stuff as well. This one sounded like a refugee off of Astral Weeks, which is one of my favorite albums. I Americana-ed it up a bit for my cover.

When your river can’t find the ocean
When you’re two times out of ten
When you’re very last dollar
Is your very last friend
Late in the midnight hour
After you finally reached the end
Then the pain you thought was sleeping
When it rises up again

Delivered
When the light at the end
Is the sunrise come again

When you’re peeling back the layers
Maybe you peeled them back too much
When it chews you up at breakfast
And spits you back out at lunch
When you thought that you could fly
Because you dreamed it up in bed
Then the blues in your sky
Starts to rain upon your head

Delivered
When you alight in the night
And you remember an ancient dance

Remember, remember, remember

When you’re running through the forest
Shackles on your feet
But your eyes are fixed on a star
and you won’t accept defeat
Maybe they think that you are sleeping
And you won’t wake up again
Then the magic in your soul
Starts to twitching up again

Delivered
When the light at the end
Is the sunrise come again

Nice track. Great to hear live tracking. The kick is very resonant - could do with some damping. It is louder than the bass. Otherwise an excellent recording.

Cheers

Ian

Thanks for showing us that Desol , I do hope the message got through to person your wrote the song for.

Im assuming your not one of four identical Quadruplets Midway , handy trick with the camera though . The open handed style on the drums does allow some interesting variations over the standard technique .

Heres a tune thats doing quite well in Ireland just now , its a little twee but I still like it very much , shows the rugged faces and places of Irelands west coast .

Nice track. Great to hear live tracking. The kick is very resonant - could do with some damping. It is louder than the bass. Otherwise an excellent recording.

Cheers

Ian
Thanks for the advice, Ian! I'm still new to mixing/recording a real kit so I'll happily take any words of wisdom I can get for future work. Especially since I'll have to do it more often in the future -- I've learned that the engineer I've recorded with for over a decade is semi-retiring from studio work (he got a job that pays the bills, I don't blame him for wanting to, you know, eat).

I'll experiment with more dampening and placement and see if I can tame it for the future. There's a towel against the reso (with a port hole) and it's miced only from inside, pointed at the beater. The batter head is one of aquarius's predampened heads. I agree it was a little boomy here (and I was hitting too hard in the first verse) and I could shove the towel a little more firmly against the reso but to be honest really dead kicks kind of annoy me so I'm gunshy that I might kill it completely. Though my friend says you can always add space and resonance if you need it, so maybe I should just overdampen. I also turned the bass guitar down 3db at the last minute (and it's sidechained) but didn't pull the kick down to fix the balance, so that was a poor choice on my part. Trying to do too much in one day and missing important details.

I love live tracking, it's fantastic practice for getting the parts right and in as few takes as possible. I must admit that it's far easier with multiple people in the room, though.

I just wanted to show you this guy , Gary Baus , he's originally from Baltimore Maryland but he's lived in Ireland for many years now , talented is an understatement .

Theres a handful of different ways to damp the bass drum ,
The usual way is putting a pillow or folded blanket inside , in contact with both front and rear skins ,
theres also a plastic and foam ring that sits under the drum head , I forgot the name of the product now .
Using a duvet to tent the front of the bass drum is another good technique , its reduces spill from top kit into the bass drum mic dramatically , and also reduces room ambience ,so when you eq the bass drum spill is much less of a problem .

Last edited:
theres also a plastic and foam ring that sits under the drum head , I forgot the name of the product now .
Using a duvet to tent the front of the bass drum is another good technique , its reduces spill from top kit into the bass drum mic dramatically , and also reduces room ambience ,so when you eq the bass drum spill is much less of a problem .
Yeah, my beater head has one of those plastic+foam rings.

I *think* maybe I've seen someone do the duvet (on youtube probably) but it wouldn't have occured to me to try it. I'll give it a shot next time I make some noise!

I found Funkadelic 'outakes' last night ,

its like licking up the left overs of 'maggot brain '

Seeing as Van the Man was mentioned earlier , dont suppose Astral was finest moment ,
Their was a grittier and more gravel throated Van way back in the day ,vintage mic amps and tape sat only enhances the effect .

Two new songs out this weekend from the next album. Tell your friends who aren't me (I already know about them!)

These are much more upbeat than the last one. And one is, like, actually upbeat even in the lyrics AND the music, a unicorn in our catalog.

Also I went on a bandcamp buying binge last weekend, this was a good one I got during that time period:

Heres Jimi and Stephen Stills noodleing around ,
falls apart everyonce in a while but theres some great moments too ,
sounds like there a bit worse the wear from drink and other stuff by the end of it .

Heres a live performance of a tune that might not be much known outside Ireland ,
this version was recorded back in around 1990 , several references to the troubles in there and tells the story of the working Irish in England back in the bad old days , powerful stuff ,

Heres a live performance of a tune that might not be much known outside Ireland ,
this version was recorded back in around 1990 , several references to the troubles in there and tells the story of the working Irish in England back in the bad old days , powerful stuff ,
Man, I love Paul Brady. I had listened to most of his folk stuff (during and after Planxty) before my FIL loaned me his first solo pop album (the one this one was originally on). His voice is epic.

Should add: The 'rents in law used to run a folk music magazine, and they were dead heads and stuff. They've been to a zillion shows, and my FIL said he had never seen ANYONE own a room like Paul Brady.

Hi Midway,
There was a great tale about Paul Brady's early days related on the radio the other night ,
way back he managed to get a warm up slot for a world famous band in Germany ,
no one knew who he was , the crowd booed and threw beer at the stage when he came on , he got really angry and told the crowd to f**k off and that he was playing his songs if they liked it or not , by the end he got a standing ovation and encores . Many would have simply walked off , folded and gone away tail between legs .

The John Creedon show on RTE radio 1 airs weekdays at 8pm local time , he plays a great selection of Irish tunes with plenty of Americana thrown in , well worth a listen , if timing doesnt suit its is also available as a podcast . As far as I know its broadcast on the internet worldwide to serve Irish ears scattered to the far corners .
He's a great historian also and his show is full of funny anecdotes and piseogs(folk tales)
https://www.rte.ie/radio/radio1/john-creedon/

I also love Paul Brady. I remember recording him on an NPR show called Etown. I was unaware of this music but loved his solo performance. And then he did the song “luck of the draw”, it’s one of my favorite songs that Bonnie Raitt recorded. I was struck back thinking he was the writer. Great songwriter and performer.

Back