Pronomic SCM-1

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Oktava MK-012 is a very good mic. Extremely inexpensive for how it sounds. I had bought a dozen and kept the two I liked the best back in 2000. I just did a session with both my  Oktava and a KM84 strapped together to mic a guitar and a mandolin. My Oktava's are not modded yet, though I may change the FET cap and the cap feeding the bipolar transistor.  I could easily use either mic in these recordings. They are very similar in sound. The KM84 had a touch more smoothness on top but unless I had them side by side and switched tracks over the same musical passage, I wouldn't be able to pick them apart. 

On the other hand, we are all mic junkies and love to tinker and see what we can do with minimal investment. I know I have had a lot of fun learning about mics and changing circuits and capsules to see what I can come up with. Buying a MK-012 is an easy and inexpensive solution to getting a good SDC that compares to top level SDCs. But, it's not as much fun as the experiments we do....

McIrish said:
The Oktava MK-012 is a very good mic. Extremely inexpensive for how it sounds. I had bought a dozen and kept the two I liked the best back in 2000. I just did a session with both my  Oktava and a KM84 strapped together to mic a guitar and a mandolin. My Oktava's are not modded yet, though I may change the FET cap and the cap feeding the bipolar transistor.  I could easily use either mic in these recordings. They are very similar in sound. The KM84 had a touch more smoothness on top but unless I had them side by side and switched tracks over the same musical passage, I wouldn't be able to pick them apart. 

On the other hand, we are all mic junkies and love to tinker and see what we can do with minimal investment. I know I have had a lot of fun learning about mics and changing circuits and capsules to see what I can come up with. Buying a MK-012 is an easy and inexpensive solution to getting a good SDC that compares to top level SDCs. But, it's not as much fun as the experiments we do....
I'm kind of tempted to go the DIY route, but the MK-012 is so nice sounding I'll probably pick up the hyper cardioid version. The newer wooden case one though, since that's supposed to have better electronics. Plus it doesn't seem like there's much that can be done with SDCs since they're usually transformerless flat Schoeps circuits. I'm also kind of interested in the 3U Audio small diaphragm mics like the CM100. I really like my Black CM1.

EDIT: I ordered the 3U Audio CM100 small diaphragm mic with the hyper cardioid and "airy" cardioid capsules. I'll probably buy the iSK Pearl at a later date and try the hyper cardioid mod just because.

kingkorg said:
I converted one of the stock capsules yesterday to hypercardioid by widening holes in plastic backplate. It knocked of 7k peak. However you ged a dip at about 4k, which happens with stock hypercardioid as well.

If anyone is interrested, diameter of wider, hypercardioid holes is 2mm.

I can rapport  that grille in front of the membrane affects just response above 10k. I even made several custom grilles to see what happens. Not much, it's mostly response above 10k that changes.

The biggest changes come from spacers betwen backplates, and holes.
How did you enlarge the holes anyway? Really small drill bit? A tiny file? Did the plastic backplate detach from the capsule, or do you have to be very careful not to damage the capsule?

Is there anyone here, who ordered SCM-1 in last two weeks?
I would like to order it from kirstein, but they aren't able to verify what capsule version they currently have...
Another option, maybe someone know where to find ISK BM-80 in small quantities?
Or is there any other OEM version under different brand?

RuudNL said:
It seems the last Kirstein batch had the 'old' capsules...

Thanks Rudolph, yes i've read about that but i was hoping that maybe someone just had bad luck and received just some stock but not from new batch.
Kirstein is unable to check it physically and keep four pcs. for my order.
I'm trying to find ISK in small quantities - any other version available guys? Someone found something?

Apart from the eBay link I posted earlier (which is the eBay-store of an Australian company named Swamp Industries, that also sells the mic at their online shop at https://www.swamp.net.au/isk-bm-80-cardioid-pencil-condenser-overhead-microphone), I couldn't find anyone else selling these in small quantities. I'm also still looking for a seller within the EU, since im not really keen on going through the import hassle that is unavoidable when buying from Australia.

Cheers
Jannis

Some time ago our 'friend' Matt (from Microphone Farts Parts) had the capsules ln76d is looking for.
I have the impression that Kirstein ordered the 'wrong' type some time ago, but now they are unfortunately back to the 'old ones'.
The SCM-1 has changed during the past years. A couple of years ago, there was even a trimpot for the FET bias.
Now most components on the PCB are SMD, and a fixed FET bias, which is not correct in most microphones.
(The ones with the trimpot came properly adjusted.)

jarvis said:
Apart from the eBay link I posted earlier (which is the eBay-store of an Australian company named Swamp Industries, that also sells the mic at their online shop at https://www.swamp.net.au/isk-bm-80-cardioid-pencil-condenser-overhead-microphone), I couldn't find anyone else selling these in small quantities. I'm also still looking for a seller within the EU, since im not really keen on going through the import hassle that is unavoidable when buying from Australia.

Cheers
Jannis

Thanks for the link! I'll think about that or in worst case scenario i will order from kirstein old version and will wait to find somewhere capsules only (Matija mentioned Shuayin). Maybe i will just modify/remove top grill. We will see. I will also contact isk and if there will be possible to order small quantities, i will post info here. I checked aliexpress nothing similar.

RuudNL said:
Some time ago our 'friend' Matt (from Microphone Farts Parts) had the capsules ln76d is looking for.
I have the impression that Kirstein ordered the 'wrong' type some time ago, but now they are unfortunately back to tho 'old ones'.
The SCM-1 has changed during the past years. A couple of years ago, there was even a trimpot for the FET bias.
Now most components on the PCB are SMD, and a fixed FET bias, which is not correct in most microphones.
(The ones with the trimpot came properly adjusted.)

It is still available on mfarts . 150$ plus all thievery when ordering to EU is a true nonsense. I need also the body for it, no need the circuit at all.
Kirstein rather don't know what they are selling. Shop located elswhere, logistic center elswhere. I can bet that the boxes are exactly the same for both versions of this microphone and rather employees see only these boxes not the internals.

A little off topic
I bought a SPA SP1 for the body and grill for a circuit I am working on.

I like to try things before I take them apart.

The new SP1(mostly smd) surprised me it did not sound like an older one (leaded parts). The change seems to be from the capsule.

I looked at the parts and found the older SD capsule brass backplate has smaller holes than the newer SD capsule. The plastic plate looks like the same hole size.  I might build a circuit for this newer capsule version.

Interesting reading about the variations in some of the SD capsules.

Grooves in brass backplates are not the same on many models, even though they seem to be the same.

There are differences in .2mm or so between pronomic and Shayjin for example.

I ordered directly from them. You could ask Jenny, it's her i talked to at Shaiyin.

shuaiyin9(at)126(dot)com

She asked me actually today how i like the capsules, i will reply and mention you are interrested ;)

Might i recommend "coding" that email address? :) Just so it's less recognizable for spam-bots and whatnot.

kingkorg said:
I ordered directly from them. You could ask Jenny, it's her i talked to at Shaiyin.

She asked me actually today how i like the capsules, i will reply and mention you are interrested ;)

A question about sound, in the end it is all about sound.

Is the sound of the cheap Pronomic SCM-1 as good or even better than the very well performing Shure SM81 electret instrument microphone?

I see that now pronomic is made in black?!?! Top grill looks like old type. Anyone ordered black version and could confirm grill type?
https://www.kirstein.de/Live-Studio/Mikrofone/Kleinmembranmikrofone/Pronomic-SCM-1-Kleinmembranmikrofon-Silber.html

dasnevestheo said:
So there's still no way to get the SCM-1 with new Banzai capsule ? ...  :-[
There very well might be under a different name. A lot of these mics are just rebranded and sold under different names.

Back