Riggler's and Tskguy's M49 / M50 bodies

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Must…          resist…      urge…      to…    buy…    more...

Oh, never mind. I'll take a second one for a stereo pair!

These M49 bodies are super nice! We had the prototype with an HK-47 in the studio last night doing some ACG and vocal takes and it's a great sounding and great looking mic. You guys will not be disappointed!

Dave

Last one is gone!!! Sorry folks. But lets get another list started for run #3!!!

Thank you everyone! Now the front of the thread is a feeler for doing another run. Do NOT pay any monies. Maybe we can do this again in the fall or something. So humbling!!! Really!

Riggler:

Cant wait to received and build my run #2 unit, and I am interested in another from run 3 but I want to build one first.

A suggestion, from reading the thread I have 2 suggestions (perhaps not practical, but just ideas for improvements).

1) Can you leave a short tag extending from the mesh/screen so a positive wired ground can be made (this could come down from the bottom, or in from the side behind the dividing rail).  (Mesh grounding is critical)

2) I have inspected the photo's and the outer mesh on this mic appear to be tighter than the photo's of the M49-c I find.  Counting vertically on the mesh there are 35 wires on the Neumann and 38 on the copy (8% size difference). Can you use the original mesh from the M49, or is it not available or my count just wrong?  If you need help finding stainless mesh sizes let us know.

Bruce,

I can help answer some of those questions for you.
#1 Trust me on this every head basket mesh will have a good solid connection to the body. No need for any soldering. I will be verifying this prior to shipment.
#2 Wow! I appreciate your attention to detail!! Rest assured the three layers of mesh are the correct sizes. Counting squares on a photo isn’t a very good way to measure. Riggler spent a great deal of time verifying the correct mesh. In fact I have some very nice pictures of 3 original m49’s and the one had 35 and the other 37 rows.

Thanks,
Eric

I've found in my research there are some pretty wide tolerances for wire mesh, so a few squares across a microphone grill is not unusual.  In addition to the variation in the material itself, when you press the mesh through a shaping die, all kinds of stuff happens as the mesh stretches and shrinks in various places to conform to the tooling shape.  This amount of variation is probably very normal even in the original Neumanns.

I was thinking I would order that last body when I got home from work, but looks like I'm too late. I guess here's my entry into the Run 3 feeler.

Hi Bruce,

I looked at a lot of mic photos and also got measurements from people. It is true that both the mesh deforms on the die and also that I have seen a couple of slight differences in pictures. For instance, I have seen what appears to be stainless mesh, especially on some Telefunken labeled mics, and brass mesh. Also, our die, (which took a lot of work and tweaking) I am sure is not 100% like the original. I bet we are about 97% close, however.

It appears the same mesh setup was used on the U47 mics as well. All that being said, the headbaskets are already formed, but I will triple check this for future runs if we do more.

Latest posts

Back