Riggler's and Tskguy's M49 / M50 bodies

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
EVERYONE:

Bad news first:

We hit a snag. No point beating around the bush about it. Several of the bodies have problems with the epoxy separating on the mesh. Bodies that were fine, days later have started to separate. There are a bunch that are done that are not having this problem. Eric and I both took the past few days to look at the situation and come up with a plan before we posted anything here. So, yes, we are still waiting unfortunately.

Now the good news:

ALL headbaskets will be re-done and soldered, plated. We now have a soldering jig and with the machinist have figured out how to stop the wicking issues we had when soldering before. It's been crazy, researching online, messaging back and forth virtually, but we got it. Took an older prototype, (yes the one in the pic has the mesh 45 degrees the wrong way) and it came out beautifully. Tested on another with the same results.

SO: I hate to say that we will be waiting some more, but that's what is going on. If the wait is too long for any of you, please let me know ASAP. Otherwise, we are moving along again!

Going to say in advance, thank you all for your patience!

Damian

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    96.2 KB · Views: 110
Nothing's easy.
Fortunate to find the problem now.
Soldering will create a lasting product.
There's lots to do with building P.S.Bs., Power Supply, cord
I'll wait for a Quality body.

Riggler;

Expressing enthusiastically support for getting it right, and appreciate the clear communication

( just curious is this the joining of the basket to the body, or a step before that involving joining basket halves?)

Sorry for the unexpected added expense, but solder and plating is the way to go.

No problem on waiting from my end. Thanks much for your efforts.

Much appreciate the kind words! The issue was bonding the mesh halves into the brass trim band and body tube ring. I just got home from installing a control room into a local college, and they bought a TLM49. I saw a couple places on there where the solder wicked a little. Also if you watch carefully on the How It's Made video, you can see where the solder wicks up a little bit too. The plating really hides this!

You know, in person this mic is pretty big!

bruce0 said:
Riggler;

Expressing enthusiastically support for getting it right, and appreciate the clear communication

( just curious is this the joining of the basket to the body, or a step before that involving joining basket halves?)

ALL headbaskets will be re-done and soldered, plated. We now have a soldering jig and with the machinist have figured out how to stop the wicking issues we had when soldering before. It's been crazy, researching online, messaging back and forth virtually, but we got it. Took an older prototype, (yes the one in the pic has the mesh 45 degrees the wrong way) and it came out beautifully. Tested on another with the same results.

Does this mean the final version will have 45 degree mesh (on the outside)?

No the mesh will be just like the original 49. The machinist just made a mistake when he pressed that test one. Thanks for the patience everyone!! These will be right I won't let it happen any other way!

Thanks again everyone,
Eric

It's all good! Take your time! I have been recording stuff for over 40 years didn't ever say damn wish I had that M49 here. I've said damn wish I'de thought a bit more before saying yes but never where's that blasted M49!

Get it right please. Thanks for your vigilance and honesty.

It's the whole batch (first and second runs were run at the same time because Eric fronted the money).

About half of the bodies were okay, but we are not going risk them separating later. So we elected to solder the whole lot and replate. Imaging getting a body, and then a few weeks ahead the mesh starts separating from the assembly... Will keep you guys posted.

riggler said:
It's the whole batch (first and second runs were run at the same time because Eric fronted the money).

About half of the bodies were okay, but we are not going risk them separating later. So we elected to solder the whole lot and replate. Imaging getting a body, and then a few weeks ahead the mesh starts separating from the assembly... Will keep you guys posted.

Thanks for the info. I look forward to run #3

riggler said:
Hi guys,

Just a little update. New mesh was received yesterday and pressing has begun. Will keep you all posted!

Damian

:) :) :)

Latest posts

Back