Riggler's and Tskguy's M49 / M50 bodies

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just another little update. Headbaskets are being re-assembled with new mesh, the soldering is looking very very good now! The goal is now to have these to plating on Monday or Tuesday. Then the barrage of shipping.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    60.4 KB · Views: 158
riggler said:
Just another little update. Headbaskets are being re-assembled with new mesh, the soldering is looking very very good now! The goal is now to have these to plating on Monday or Tuesday. Then the barrage of shipping.

Any updates,  :) Jusr curious,
Best,
Dan,

Here is the latest:

Machinist hoped to have all done and in plating this Monday, but as of this Monday he had 10 left to finish. (new headbasket mesh) He is now going to shoot for this coming Monday, but we are hoping he will be able to plate Friday. So that's where we are it. I knew the headbaskets would be the tough part. If the next run happens it will hopefully be faster since we know what we are doing now. I am pretty sure we will do another run.

The bodies wil ship to me and I will immediately ship out to you all. If anyone's address info has changed, PLEASE let me know!

I know everyone is getting anxious by now - I certainly am... I am going to take Friday night and go through all of the orders and make sure we have everything we need so there is no holdup shipping.

riggler said:
If the next run happens it will hopefully be faster since we know what we are doing now. I am pretty sure we will do another run.

This makes me  :D

In some ways, it's been a bit of a blessing to come in at the 3rd run

Thanks!

Not that you're not busy enough, but any more thoughts on the mounting? It seems like the Latch Lake initiative fizzled; not sure why...otherwise there's whatever you may come up with or the rycote everyone's been talking about...

Thanks, great work, you guys are doing a super service to the DIY community.

Mike

I mentioned this in the feeler thread:

I really like the Latch Like product. I really dig the look of it with the mic.

Depending on what you record and how you mount the capsule, you might need an external shockmount.

I really LOVE the Rycote Invision shockmounts I use with my small condensers for orchestra recording. They made serious improvements in my recordings. So personally, seeing that the larger Rycote uses the same suspension concept, I will probably get a pair of them in the future.

For now, I am just focusing on getting these bodies out to you guys and then another run...!

Rycote InVision USM-VB.. suitable for large diaphragm recording microphones up to 300 mm in length & 55-68 mm in diameter

Earlier in the thread it says the main body tube outer diameter is 71mm, that "Saturn ring" diameter being 79mm.

So to mount in the rycote we need another 3mm.  Has anyone tried this mount to see if it will fit a 71mm body?

Did I miss something?  Are we talking about a different part?

The lyre mounts are nice… no more worn out elastic.  But it does have to fit.

Phrazemaster let us know, It looks like the Rycote has little padded screws and I wonder if those screws were modded or changed whether it would work.  In any case before sending it back, put some calipers inside that ring for us will you?

Sadly I don't have any calipers and I'm on the 3rd (possible) run for riggler's body...It was almost 170 with the pop filter...by the time I would get the body I couldnt' return it either...dam! I will likely return it until I know for sure...sorry guys.

By the way, isn't this DIY stuff cool? I feel like you guys are my friends and brothers...kinda stupid since I don't know any of you but...lol...thx everyone for being so cool.    8)  ;D

rig man, I can't wait for the 3rd run!

Mike

Phrazemaster
Where in Socal are you?
I don't know how long the return policy is,
but if I got my mic bodys in time we could possibly get together.
you could also go to Harbor Freight and use a caliper at the store to measure.

Heck, put it on a piece of paper and trace it with a pencil. Fax it to me and I will measure it. Or perhaps we can ask Rycote for a drawing.  No worries, it was just an idea I am sure we can work it out.

PSA: Harbor Freight calipers are on sale right now... went into the store and grabbed the 68304 version for some work I had to do this week and it made my life so so much easier.

My understanding is they're as accurate as significantly more expensive ones... but worth trying several units in the store because some of them stick.

Winetree said:
Phrazemaster
Where in Socal are you?
I don't know how long the return policy is,
but if I got my mic bodys in time we could possibly get together.
you could also go to Harbor Freight and use a caliper at the store to measure.
Hi Winetree, I'm in Orange County...but I had already cancelled that order by the time I saw this post. Otherwise I would have had to pay shipping back.

I imagine it might fit; we're only talking 3mm here...but then I wonder if it could be tightened...

This is an awesome project! I'm sure we'll (collectively) think of something that will work, if the Rycote doesn't pan out. Latch Lake still sounds promising to me.

Good weekend to all,

Mike

Back