Rode NT1 Kit (the black one) Mods

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
rogs said:
Yes -  but as the test conditions are a direct comparison, using identical channel inputs, it seems a reasonable test set up?
I'm guessing they set it up to see how they compared,  and then decided whether the results were good enough to publish? 
If they hadn't been good enough - they simply wouldn't have posted the video!

Well, I can see the video and listen to the sound of the microphones, but there is no way to check what they did. I wasn't there! I even can't check if it is a microphone coming out of the standard production, or a 'special one' prepared for this test. This gives me the same feeling as when I look at a perfectly flat frequency response, given by a microphone manufacturer. But when I measure the same microphone, it is suddenly less 'flat' than the manufacturer suggested... (Maybe I am just a bit too suspicious, but still...)

RuudNL said:
Well, I can see the video and listen to the sound of the microphones, but there is no way to check what they did. I wasn't there! I even can't check if it is a microphone coming out of the standard production, or a 'special one' prepared for this test. This gives me the same feeling as when I look at a perfectly flat frequency response, given by a microphone manufacturer. But when I measure the same microphone, it is suddenly less 'flat' than the manufacturer suggested... (Maybe I am just a bit too suspicious, but still...)

I just can't see why they would take a chance on trying anything  - even slightly - 'dodgy', just to post a video they were under no pressure to post?

This is part of an age old problem with microphones...  We constantly come across all sorts of claims and counter claims. Hugely inflated prices for certain microphones - and even for certain capsules. 
The internet remains largely unpoliced over the various claims -- we simply have no way of knowing who is telling the truth - and who not.
I am sure some 'boutique' microphone suppliers do make all their own parts.  -- Others claim to, but are more likely to just re-skin - or even just rebadge - cheap Chinese capsules!...
But how to know who is telling the truth? ....Our own ears have to be the only reliable arbiter, surely ?

I do feel some will have made - or are going to make - some expensive mistakes along the way.

I am not sure if i got the point across. The comparison between CK12 and Rodes capsule was to show they have nothing in common even though they are both edge terminated.

There are a lot of similar capsules to Rode's that claim they work great as CK12 alternatives, and that can't be further from the truth.

Tim's capsule is not overly bright, keep in mind the graph is 5db per division, it's "zoomed in". And it's response is nothing like chinese k67. Notice the huge low end response, slight scoop in the mids, and shape of the high end. Keep in mind C12 is brigter than u47, u87, u67...

This was not to show that Rodes capsule sucks, as i would start with capsule mod first instead. It is probably the flattest mass produced inexpensive 34mm capsule currently. Which is what a lot of people were after for years, complaining about overly bright k67s.

So Rode did it, and this is probably why they compared it to u47 in the video. Not to say they are alike, just that their latest model is not overly bright.

Additionally, new production technology helps with consistency, and it's a dead quiet mic. For the price i think it's a great mic, and i'm just looking at ways to improve it if possible.

One thing i noticed after listening to quite a few capsules is that beyond the frequency response there is also an impression of depth that makes a difference. What causes that ? is that due to dynamics, speed of response of the capsule.

ubxf said:
One thing i noticed after listening to quite a few capsules is that beyond the frequency response there is also an impression of depth that makes a difference. What causes that ? is that due to dynamics, speed of response of the capsule.

I atribute that to off axis response, 180° response. Somehow we picture cardioids as a laser pin point devices that magically capture the sound in front of them.

However, in normal recording environment, even 180° response plays a huge role and is not that much quieter than the sound coming directly from the front.

This response is crucial for how cardioid pattern is created, and how phase cancelations between front and back create cardioid response. This is where that ''harshness'' comes from if a capsule is not right.

This is imho where CK12 capsule shines. Even though it's bright, it sounds wonderful even if you boost hf even further. 

ubxf said:
Most likely, this is determined by the phase linearity of the capsule and microphone amplifier, as well as the equipment to which it is connected.
RODE do not have phase-linear microphones, unfortunately, NT1-A have a falling phase characteristic that is not sufficiently monotonic in the audio range.

I second that. I have heard many Røde microphones, but never heard one that really impressed me.
Most of them have that shrill, overhyped top-end.
Agreed, for the money they are 'reasonable' starter microphones, but if you want real quality, they wouldn't be my choice.
(Maybe that is the reason that I don't have a single Røde microphone in my 90+ microphone collection...)
But as long as somebody is happy with their Røde microphone, it is perfectly fine with me!

RuudNL said:
I second that. I have heard many Røde microphones, but never heard one that really impressed me.
Most of them have that shrill, overhyped top-end.
I think that is a fair assessment of some of the earlier models ... the 1st NT1 and the NT1a models, for example?
But - as I have already mentioned in an earlier response to another poster  - the new NT1 introduced in 2014 was a completely new microphone, with a new capsule (the HF6).
The only part it had in common with the earlier Nt1a was the headbasket!

The U47/NT1 test I posted a link to earlier used that current Rode NT1.... I didn't feel it had a particularly 'shrill over hyped' top end?..
Maybe just my ears of course! :)   

my opinion about Rode mics...
i've owned an old Nt1 (capsule without resonator, perhaps the most usable), nt1a (painfully sibilant), classic II (boring as hell)
i've reselled all because i found them useless for me , and because i have the chance to buy some of the great mic classics named before... and to build some others often with Tim capsule ;)
My 2 cents...
the real question is the value for the money, in fact...
and i prefer spending a bit more for a Shure SM7 for example (even if it's a dynamic mic, apple/orange i know)

dima_k85 said:
Cheap opinion, very cheap to voice.  ;D

In fact i'm quite lucky to have :  M269c, U47 , U87vintage, C414comb, km84 , AEA R84, c451, etc, etc, etc...
Not cheap in fact...
If you believe a Rode nt1 can compete with one of these... no, i just can't believe it...

granger.frederic said:
If you believe a Rode nt1 can compete with one of these... no, i just can't believe it...
I am not saying that RODE microphones are the best of the best.
It's just strange for me to hear such a hate addressed to them.
Moreover, a hate from people interested in this hate.

dima_k85 said:
I am not saying that RODE microphones are the best of the best.
It's just strange for me to hear such a hate addressed to them.
Moreover, a hate from people interested in this hate.

No hate , i can assure you. (i said that i've bought some Rode mics)
It's just for me that there's no miracle yet ...

Hello dima_K,
You're a new member in this forum and I wish you have a great time being part of this community,
as a fellow member I would just like to ask you to please not make personal attacks towards other fellow members.

That's against the forum rules and it's part of the foundation that makes this forum different from other online forums, please read rule number 4:

"4. You will find that the members of this community are incredibly courteous and respectful of each other, so please reciprocate those gestures. Leave the Flame-war mentality at another forum.  Personal attacks as well as general hateful comments (regarding race, religion, gender, sex, etc...) will not be tolerated."

https://groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=6650.0

We all disagree at some point, and sometimes a conversation can get out of proportion and things can heat up but there's always ways of discussing without the need to resort to personal attacks, there's no need for that.

I can see that you and Tim have different views and that probably misinterpreted each other, your both opinions are valid and thanks for sharing them, please try to reach a middle ground without personal attacks.

I'm not a moderator just a long time fellow member

craigmorris74 said:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/254761763136

Look familiar to anyone?
dima_k85 said:
I experimented a lot with this circuit and perfected it: https://groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=52965.msg977400#msg977400.
However, I used a K87 style capsule, a polarization voltage about 60V and a BM-700 body.

Hello kingkorg,
I hope all is well with you.

Your first post was really interesting and your posts after also, I was following this thread with interest then,
I hope it continues and you continue to share with us your findings

Thanks

Back