SB4000 Support Thread

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Shead: Number of things.

1) I can't really make anything out from the pics as it's too big a shot and too low resolution.  If you can take some close up shots of all your wiring areas that will help.  Since you have hum you have a ground issue somewhere and only so many places that can be cousing it.  One thing I can notice in the pic is it looks like all of your Pin 1's are daisy chained and going to start ground - this would be my first suspect on your hum.  Each of the XLR's Pin 1 should go to star ground.  You could chain the inputs together and run that to star ground, and do the same with the outputs, and send/rtn, but tying them all together how you haved it now could effectively be creating a ground loop with your adjacent piece of gear.

2) If you haven't done so already, make sure you have scraped off the paint/alodine/powder coat/whatever coat from the chassis at your star ground location so you have a solid metal to metal ground contact between your ground stud and chassis.  Also be sure to do this at every mounting hole on the individual pieces of your enclosure (top/bottom/sides, etc).  Paint and alodine are not conductive, if you don't do this you'll have a bunch of pieces of enclosure that are floating and not grounded to each other (or very poorly grounded).  If you use a multimeter and do a continuity check between ground locations it should read little to no resistance (0-1ohm).

3) Lorlin switchs have a metal stopper washer that sets the number of turns.  Make sure you switch is turned completely counterclockwise before putting the stopper in.  If you switch isn't stopping, than you stopper washer is either not installed or has fallen out, simple as that.

4) SSL threshold knob is often misunderstood:

fully clockwise=no compression, fully counterclockwise=full compression.  As you turn it counterclockwise it lowers the threshold point (threshold point=point where compression begins)

The threshold knob centered at "0" DOES NOT MEAN no compression.  Again, fully clockwise means no compression.  The historical labels on this knob are really misleading.  It's dependant on how hot a signal you have going into the unit (ie: if you don't have a loud signal going in you'll have to turn the threshold counterclockwise more to get it to compress.  If you have a louder signal going in you won't have to turn it so much)

Even with no meter, if you give it a reasonably good signal (+4dbu or so) and turn the threshold fully counterclockwise you should have VERY audible compression, unless you're Heller Keller, you won't be able to miss it (and even she might utter the words....cam-peths-in).  In fact it'll likely sound like utter garbage as you'll be compressing the piss, lint, and shit out of it at that point.

If you're not getting any compression, first thing I would check is that your "external in" switch isn't switched on.  Just disconnect the wires from it and the main board.  This switch (if engaged) severs the audio going to the internal sidechain, which would result in no compression possible.  It's effectively a soft bypass switch (cool little hidden bonus).

Good luck.

Those switches have a little washer with a stop...you have to make sure it's installed correctly.

As for Friday, I'm afraid not... apparently "delivery date" means the date they will ship them to me...should only be a few days in transit though.

And guys, don't wanna sound like a crotchidy crotch but friendly request, PLEASE refer all purchasing/kit questions to the white market.  Do not post these questions here, this thread is BUILD SUPPORT.  Otherwise this thread becomes useless and we end we'll end up with a 100 pages with only 1 actual page of useful build information, and the same questions just keep getting asked over and over because nobody can find the answers.

Sorry rukus, will do!
Thanks for the explainations ill get on it tomorro and redo the xlr grounds! Ill make sure i check the lorlin spacers and also the ext. In switch, ill update tomoro wit the new results
P.s.
LOVE THIS FORUM

Shreadstedford: From your pictures, you seem to use regular wires twisted between pcb and xlr. The point in twisting is to minimize area between wires so that there is as small loop as possible formed by the wires. To further reduce the hum try to twist them tightly and keep the twist as close to xlr connector as possible, now there seems to be huge "holes" and magnetic field from power xfrm can pass them. Any magnetic field that passes between wires (through a loop) induce current into the wire ;) You could use shielded twisted pair cable (microphone cable). Solder the shield Only to pin 1 on xlr.

Illustrative pictures here:
http://www.eetimes.com/design/analog-design/4010330/Techniques-to-enhance-op-amp-signal-integrity-in-low-level-sensor-applications-Part-1-of-4-

Wow thats an absolute article! Thanks mate, some nice bedtime reading hahaaa
I thought putting the components together was the hard bit but now i see tweeking/optimizing this sumamabitch is where the party really begins!
Appreciate all your help

sheadstedford said:
Wow thats an absolute article! Thanks mate, some nice bedtime reading hahaaa
I thought putting the components together was the hard bit but now i see tweeking/optimizing this sumamabitch is where the party really begins!
Appreciate all your help

No worries man.  Good luck, as great as it might be to just turn something on and have it work the first try, I think it's much more educational for it NOT to completely work.  It's how you learn, and now you know things to check/do/not do on future stuff, ya know?  I personally find it kind of exciting to try and "figure out what's wrong", definately makes you feel accomplished once you do, and even more to know you learned something (which is what this place is all about).

As far as the twisted pair, yes tmuikku makes a very good point.  Honestly, you cable run is quite long, using shielded cable if you can get some would be the best way to do it.  The center pin on the input and output connectors is there to give you a place to attached the shield to for just this purpose.  If you tie the shields to that, don't terminate them on the xlr end.  Or you can do as tmuikku suggested and tie the shield to Pin 1, just don't terminate it to the board then, pick one end or the other.  However I usually don't tie the shields to Pin 1 because if you run into some issue where you would need to disconnected say your output xlr connector's Pin 1's and leave them floating (because of some sort of strange scenereo loop), your shield would no longer be ground, ya know?

If you want to try and just leave the twisted pair like you have it now, a little trick of the trade - stick both wires into a power hand drill, hold the other end of the wires, pull the trigger and bam!  -  instant twisted pair.

For some reason the output is not as wide stereo as whats coming in??
Anyone know why this is or what i have to calibrate?
It does sound amazing tho, even in max compression, great for drum bus!!
But yeah, seems as though it narrows the stereo spread

sheadstedford said:
For some reason the output is not as wide stereo as whats coming in??
Anyone know why this is or what i have to calibrate?
It does sound amazing tho, even in max compression, great for drum bus!!
But yeah, seems as though it narrows the stereo spread

To test this thoroughly, put a signal into first just the left and then just the right input channel and check the output- does the input signal appear at both outputs at once or just its corresponding output?

Are you using balanced cables on inputs from your source and outputs to your speakers/soundcard/whatever following device?

I suspect that the polarity is inverted going to or from one of your XLR sockets, I made that mistake wiring my first GSSL and it caused an odd phasey sound.

Its hard to see what's going on in your photos near the XLRs but I'd check those XLR inputs. Then double check where they connect to the board, are there polarity markings there? Hot/+ is on the outer points. then Cold/- then Ground in the middle. Remember on XLRs Pin 1= Ground Pin 2= Hot/+ Pin 3= Cold/-

Shead, your xlr wiring is wrong, I can tell from your pic.  Male and female xlr pinouts are not the same, Pin 1 is on the opposite side on the female compared to the male.  Look at your connectors, they should be marked on the XLR.  This is the reason for you your stereo shrinkage and I'd give it a 99% probability it's why you're getting hum as well.  Don't feel bad, I made this same mistake on the first piece of gear I built as well, it's a common mistake to make.

Bollox!
Let me have a look, im sure i did it correct, ill have a butchers when i get in. The tone of it is beautiful tho,
I did the resistor switch to not get the phasey issue in compression so i dont think its that.
Thabks for the heads up, im looking at some m/s encoder/decoder boards for a width control aswell.
She gonna be a monster

Had a look and the + are all on pin 2.
The input xlr's are installed upside down so it looks wrong thanks tho!
The hum is literally miniscule tho mate like -87db so after redoing the xlr grounds it should be silent, it was only noticable when makeup was cranked to the max.

+1 on the use of shielded cable from/to the XLR's (just dont connect the shield on the outputs).

EDIT:  just noticed the green wire going from your input to your outputs assuming pin 1 on those.  I havent built mine yet, but is there a way to send pin 1 on the inputs to 0 and just float the 1s on the outputs?  (would this be advisable on this unit?  not sure how the grounds are set)

this is my first ever build mate so im not sure, im just taking everything that rukus and people like that say as gospel.
ill probly get the shielded cable.

am i right in saying that its shielded cables only on the + and - on the inputs and nothing else, im a bit confused as to here to connect them.
I know its been said so  many times in the previous posts but it just wont set in my head, sorry to be a pain in the arse

If I read your question correctly, then what you need to understand is the shielding 'wraps' around the 2 wires if your wire is 2 core shielded. 4 core shielded would have 4 wires - say red black yellow and white - with a shield around that.

You connect the 2 'core' wires to your xlr pins and the shield is the ground connection.

Hope that helps (assuming I understand your confusion...)

Done some tweaking and T2 is immense, the squishyness of it at 10:1 and full -20 threshold is too good for a drum bus!!!
And T1 has like a really nice presence in turbo mode. This is just perfect!
Rukus you legend

Hi All,
I'm searching some parts on mouser  and I didn't find some parts ??? ???
Do you have any idea ?
RIBBON CABLE CABLE, RIBBON, 28AWG, 20 CONDUCTOR
2PIN CONN, 2 PIN, 1 ROW, 2.54MM LEAD SPACING
3PIN CONN, 3 PIN, 1 ROW, 2.54MM LEAD SPACING
4PIN CONN, 4 PIN, 1 ROW, 2.54MM LEAD SPACING
5PIN CONN, 5 PIN, 1 ROW, 2.54MM LEAD SPACING
___

5532 IC, OP-AMP, GP, 10MHZ, DUAL, DIP8
5534 IC, OP-AMP, GP, 10MHZ, SGL LN, DIP8
THAT2180/81C IC, VCA, TRIMMABLE, 0.02% THD, THAT2180/81C, SIP8
LM3916 IC, DRIVER, DOT/BAR DISPLAY, DIP-18
___