Small room bass

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ruffrecords said:
Interesting viewpoint. I wonder with so many (majority?) of music being listened to on phones, shouldn'the we be mixing on them too?

Cheers

Ian
Listening on HP's is much more analytical than on LS; for some reason, the masking effect is not as pronounced on HP's than on LS. I guess it's due to the fact that there is no distraction due to reflections. This affects the discrimination of relative levels. I short, HP's are more tolerant to balance errors.
So, as Joaquin already wrote, something that sounds good on LS will almost invariably sound good on HP's, but the contrary is not always true.
The first time I recorded a band with a multi-mic set-up, there were no LS, we all had HP's, with a common feed; everyone, including me, was satisfied with the recording. When we listened through LS, the bass was about 12dB too loud! That was not due to a lack of bass in the HP's, just a basic mistake. Our take on Neanderthal man...
That's why I came to distrust HP's for mixing. I know some have developed that technique, most often borne out of necessity, but this first disappointment made me particularly wary. Some times I had to use HP monitoring for classical recording, but there are not so many mistakes you can do with a basic 2-mic set-up.
Recently a friend of mine set-up a rather nice home-studio, and contrary to my advice, elected to not have a separate control-room; he started using HP's, and quickly found that he had to constantly check what he had recorded on LS. Now, he's moving home and swears he'll have a separate CR in the next.

Latest posts

Back