Soliloqueen's k87(k67) and k47 capsules

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I first realised this many years ago....
I live in a small(ish) seaside resort on the south coast of the UK. By a quirk of fate the 'town band' - first created over 100 years ago - has turned into a world class orchestra - the Bournemouth Symphony Orchestra
I have had the chance to hear the orchestra on many occasions over the years, in varous local venues.

What I can categorically state is that the Orchestra - live - sounds nothing like any recorded version of any of their music . Same for any orchestra.
The best microphones, the best mixers and audio recorders do not even come close to reproducing all the aspects of sound that make a live concert so special..... The 3 dimensional sound space, the subtle interactions at ultrasonic frequencies, the totally uncompressed dynamic range ... the list goes on.
Here we are discussing the benefits - or otherwise - of artificial nuances in electronic items that can only make a falry crude stab at capturing the subtleties of the real acoustic world...... Even the very best don't really come that close.

Good fun experimenting though ! :)
I had the same experience at the RCA studios in NYC when Chesky records did the next to last recording in that space. We were recording the Red Rodney quintet. When I walked out of the studio into the control room while they were rehearsing I thought if we get 10% of that on record we're lucky. That doesn't mean the recording wasn't enjoyable, but that an eye (ear) opener.

When the studio closed all the history went with it - I have somewhere Arturo Toscanini - Beethoven's 9 Symphonies recorded there. Broke my heart. Now the IRS has that space.

Despite their poor hf reponse, the Melodium's 42b have the most impressive 3d "effect" of all the other mics in my locker (i have some).
I have a pair too but a good U47 with v14 crushed the 42b in 3D especially in the low . 42b got fast surely big bass I admit, Pretty good response (in the high not that great) “ proximity fx“. Most miks get fast boomy like sm7b. U47 never get boomy.

Last edited:
U47 fet is cardioid only ;) This placement in the hole is a "classic" trick i learned from skilled producer long time ago and that made enthousiasts amongst my sound ingeneer friends.
It captures the inner resonance of the wood.
By combining the microphones, a credible, real sound is obtained.👍
(As in the case of a kick-drum when several microphones are used and U47fet is located in the hole)

Nice!

Side note: some of the best live sound I've ever experienced was when I played at the Théâtre Antique for Jazz a Vienne

I didn't get to meet the professionals who were working that day, but I was very impressed. Do you work there often?

Antique outdoor theaters are a breeze to work, and we also have a lot of wonderfull halls with great acoustics in Europe. In the last years PA systems have known huge improvements and mutations, all of these facts leading to a better listening experience and better workflow for ingeneers and musicians.

Back