Sontec Website

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pat, right, thanks. But didn't you say the bass was tighter and overall you liked it better with the 99V replacement? At least you weren't disappointed. (?)

Is anyone expecting their DIY to sound like an original Sontec? I don't think so. Just nice! :grin:

I liked that you put a 99V in there, and I think a high quality DOA like that and at the higher voltage is the way to go. Fabio recommending a 993 and OPA604 seems good way to go. Stick with high quality DOAs at the original voltages if possible.

I'm with BR, let's sort out the pots and do a group buy and work with Fabio's boards, it's all set up and ready to go, let's move it forward.

I agree 100%.
thinking that "your" clone will sound exactly like the "real thing" is at least naive. I just hope it sounds as good as people say they do. We all know that our GSSL comps don't sound the same as the original, but I'm pretty happy with mine.

anyone else interested in a groupbuy for pots??
I tried contacting Burns, but their distributors don't open back up until the 2nd of January.. Those lazy bastards... :green: don't they know we have to DIY over the break?? :green:

We could go for a dual approach.... We might make a seperate PCB for the input amps and the outputamps.... one with the straightforward solution you proposed including the voltage divider to adjust the voltage to the IC, but if the voltagedivider is on the separate PCB... if one day we'll end up reverse engineering the HS1000 and 2000..... we might drop our reverse engineared amps in them ... without making changes to the basic cirquitery. What do you guys think?

This approach with the voltage divider on a seperate PCB would also enable us to try out a lot of opamps.... without the hassle of doing a lot of modifications.

I think we might indeed go for a fully expanded semi DIY clone of this thing... with a totally new but cool front panal design ... and additionaly added metering for input and output.... But then again .... we might also make some versions that look exactly like the real thing.

Geert

Anyway.... It's coming together :grin:

All right..
Please don't bash me...

I just spent about 4 to 6 hours trying to design a simple filter pcb for this.
Warning: this is my very first pcb layout ever. and I know it sucks. The purpose was to trigger someone, who has more experience with this stuff to try it and do a better job.

I did it in express pcb, because is the only one I have. You may have to download and install, but its worthed.

I did the layout for Omeg pot as well as Bourns; also with ICs and not DOA for this filter section.

The only thing I want to add is a IN/OUT switch on the top. But I couldn't since I don't know where (in the schem) that switch would come in. And didn't know which one to use.

The schems are posted on a previous post and here is the file for those who could please look it over for me.

http://www.braudio.com/forumfiles/sontec/New_Filter_board2.pcb

peace
Gil

edit.. so here is the bmp export of it..
New_Filter_board2.jpg

Hey Patrick

Is there any chance to put the main board of your Sontec on a scaner? I would be happy to redesign it from there. :grin:

chrissugar

Hello,

:razz: I would also like to start that, but I'm currently in the process of designing a few addons.... so it will take a little time... Chances are there will be a new design that takes into account that we might reverse enginear the HS 1000 and 2000 amps. I'm also looking into making a mastering version.... with 24 step rotary switches and at the same time a ledindicationmeter so you can see how mutch gain is applied to a frequency....

While I'm thinking of it.... we might also go for stepped frequency selection :shock: hmmmm.... anyway....

We'll also design an external powersupply.

So first we have to know how the design will end up. then we can start doing groupbuys and start purusha casemadness.

Geert

Back