Sontec Website

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sorry to ask this question here. I couldn't find in a search on the forum.
But does anyone have the dimensions for the Pinout for a DOA??
thanks
Gil

[quote author="BR"]sorry to ask this question here. I couldn't find in a search on the forum.
But does anyone have the dimensions for the Pinout for a DOA??
thanks
Gil[/quote]

A DOA or the Sontec DOA?
Here's a 990 data sheet which has pinout dimension info.....

http://www.johnhardyco.com/pdf/990.pdf

Can anyone point me into the direction of the dimensions for the pinout for the HS10xx?? :grin:

I'm trying to incorporate all three options on this filter board that I'm designing.

thanks
Gil

[quote author="drpat"]I think if we step anything, it would be wise to do the frequency select control...

I like the idea of having the filters on separate boards. It will make it easier and more affordable for people who want to do a stripped down version with only 2 or 3 bands. I'd also like to build a four channel version with 2 bands per channel.

Maybe you could design a few add-on boards for the extra stuff that you want to do, and make the main (amp) board a basic stereo unit.[/quote]

Patrick's suggestions are very good. We don't want to pile on everything. Making it modular adds a bit of wiring but also simplicity and flexibility.

HI Tommy,

I was also thinking about that. I've been working and working on a filter board design and now I'm pretty close to have something more solid done. (even though, I suck at it)

The idea was to have very small filter boards, maybe 2"x3" with everything that is on Fabio's board, however with a dual concentric pot for Level/Shape. This way people are going to be able to easily put them in a 2RU or even a 1RU, if they use the board laying on the bottom.

My idea was to design these little boards and one main stereo amp board. That way you could build it in any configuration you want.

I'll post the layout for everyone's bashing as soon as I'm done.

take care
Gil

Hello......

Sorry for the delay. Starting next week I have holidays so.... I'll start making the sontec website then. I also bought a used HS1020 and A HS1100 (mic amp) pn evilbay and I'll reverse enginear both, and I'am definately going to need some help here from you guys. At the moment I have a lot of information I have collected.

Indeed I agree that going fully modular is the way to go. Stepped frequency pots and gain pots as an addon... separate filter cards, power supply, in and outputamps, possibilty to make a fourchannel two band EQ or a two channel 4 band.... This is going to be a lot of work but I'll think it will be worth it....

I'd like some ideas on how to reenginear the HS1020.... How should I start whit this... Is there a good technique besides using a blowtorch to melt the thing.... a more subtle way maybe. Something that desolves everything but the circuit and it's components :green: (dream on probably.....)

Anyway Happy new year.

Geert

Geert, maybe you should start a new thread about this reverse enginering thing. Maybe a thread about reverse enginering DOA's (or other potted or hybrid things) in general, not just the HS1020 and A HS1100. This might attrackt more attention......

Hi Radiance,

I think that's the best way to solve this thing. As soon as I have my sontec HS1020 and 1100 shipped to me I'll start a thread with the reverse enginearing of this beauty. :grin:

Regards,

Geert

[quote author="drpat"][quote author="BR"]Can anyone point me into the direction of the dimensions for the pinout for the HS10xx?? :grin:

I'm trying to incorporate all three options on this filter board that I'm designing.

thanks
Gil[/quote]

Look at the last post on page 3...

Wait...

Don't mount the HS amp onto the filter boards, you only need 2 per channel...[/quote]

Hi Gil,

As soon as I have the HS1020 I'll send you some measurements,

Geert

Hi guys,

I just did another version of the board. I think it looks better now, but than again, I may be committing some serious pcb design crime here and not know about it.

here is the ExpressPCB file, if anyone is interested in taking a stab at it: (right-click and save) (sorry, I don't know how to post the whole link thing)
http://www.braudio.com/forumfiles/sontec/New_Filter_board5_conc_c.pcb

This version is smaller, way smaller around 2x3 inches. It is setup for dual concentric pots for Shape and Level. (you can always wire the shape pot separetely), and has the pinout for DOAs.

I'm now thinking about adding a Band IN/OUT switch. But I'm not sure which paths need to be switched. LV1, LV2 or FB. Or all of them?? anyone knows?

here are the snapshots.:

sontec_filter_pcb05_small.JPG

top layer
sontec_filter_pcb05top_small.JPG

bottom layer.
sontec_filter_pcb05bot_small.JPG

The +IN, -IN and OUT traces of the discrete opamp and IC2 are too close to each other. It can be a source for trouble. And there is no need for double sided board, the circuit is simple enough for single sided.

chrissugar

Hi guys,
thanks for the comments. This exactly what I was hoping to get.

I did some changes and updated the files on the post above. Some of the things you guys posted are fixed already.

Patrick
If your components matched the labeling of the original, it could be easier to check, and would probably minimize confusion as people try to build this. The one thing that pops out right now is the fact that your ground pin on the header is floating.
The component designation are straight from the schem in a previous post of mine. It comes straight from Fabios pcb. Is that what you mean??

You may want to consider a header for a ribbon cable to chain your filter boards together, for at least the power portion.

I thought about that and realized that it would mean having a header between boards and a header between each board and the main board. I figured one header would take care of it. Specially since you would have to get power to the main board anyways.

I like how small you have the board and how it could dangle from a couple of pots, however, have you tried to source the dual concentric part that is required for the Q/level spot? Hopefully this will not be a problem...

The layout is for Omeg pots, which proved not to be hard to get at all. All it takes is to order straight from them. But remember, you can always wire a panel mount pot if you can't find the dual concentric.

You could also shave off a little bulk by omitting the discreet portion. Personally, I don't think I'd miss it, plus, you'd probably have to solder the DOA directly to the board, or risk the thing falling out of it's socket because it will not have gravity on it's side...

I had it like that before and the board was really small. I figured people would want the option of going DOA. I'll do a version without it and post it and see what the guys here say.

Chrissugar
The +IN, -IN and OUT traces of the discrete opamp and IC2 are too close to each other. It can be a source for trouble. And there is no need for double sided board, the circuit is simple enough for single sided.

I moved the traces a little. Does it look better??

Dual layer is really not that expensive and it made things a little easier for me. Maybe I'll do a single layer version for the etchers out there, but like I said before, this is my first ever try at this and there could be serious problems.

Thanks guys, keep the comments coming and if someone wants to download the pcb file and take a wack at it, go ahead.

Back